Quick Links:   Collectors Corner | PCGS | PSA | PSE | PSA/DNA | CU | Coinflation

Navigation:

FORUMS > WORLD & ANCIENT COINS FORUM [ REFRESH ]
Thread Title: CNG coins.....your thoughts ?
Created On Monday May 30, 2011 8:19 AM

jayPem
Collector

Monday May 30, 2011 8:19 AM

User is offline View thread in raw text format

I was looking through their selection, some very nice looking stuff.
Has anybody here bought from them ? What did you think ?

Bottom

bronzemat
Collector

Monday May 30, 2011 8:40 AM

I havent bought from them but several e-friends have and they're a highly respected company. In fact, sometimes if the coin you may have to sell is from CNG & you put in your selling description "ex CNG/CNG Auctions", it will be more attractive to buyers.

-------------------------
My Collection - M.J.B Ancients

Bottom

jayPem
Collector

Monday May 30, 2011 9:12 AM

Thanks !
I'm still dabbling in darkside , mainly British.
So far I'm a classic buy the coin before the book guy, so finding a trusted dealer is a must.

Aside from the auctions, do their prices seem fairly reasonable ?

Bottom

coinkat
Choose Your Title

Monday May 30, 2011 9:15 AM

they are very good people to deal with

Bottom

TwoKopeiki
Master Collector

Monday May 30, 2011 9:44 AM

User is offline View users profile View thread in raw text format

CNG is top notch! Highly recommend their coins. They use a UK grading scale and I have had quite a few instances where coins listed as gVF would get slabbed as XF40-45 and their EF would come back as AU (especially if they are listed as choice EF on the site).

My latest purchase from their auction that I'm still waiting to receive is below. I'll post my own images when it arrives.

<< MEXICO, First Republic. 1823-1863. AR 8 Reales (37mm, 26.34 g, 12h). Durango mint. Dated 1824-RL. Cap inscribed libertad and surrounded by rays / Eagle standing left on cactus, holding serpent in beak, with wings spread; all within wreath. KM 376. Good VF, some roughness. Rare.

From the WBP Collection.
>>

8 Reales Madness
8 Reales Fernando VII Armored Bust Set

Looking for Mexico 8 Reales 1772-1821 in AU+ condition. PM me!

Edited: Monday May 30, 2011 at 9:45 AM by TwoKopeiki

Bottom

SaorAlba
Master Collector

Monday May 30, 2011 11:35 AM

I have been buying from them for a couple of decades, back into my teenage years as a matter of fact. No problems so far, and they usually have a great selection of coins, great signature auctions and great electronic auctions.

Bottom

jayPem
Collector

Tuesday May 31, 2011 11:09 AM

Thanks for the replies,
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the coin I was after, 1707 Anne crown near VF.
I suppose it'll remain listed on the site for awhile yet, if anyone would care to comment/critique....

I'm gradually putting together the GB crowns in nice circ condition such as this one , it's a perfect match actually!

Bottom

SaorAlba
Master Collector

Tuesday May 31, 2011 12:05 PM

<< Thanks for the replies,
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the coin I was after, 1707 Anne crown near VF.
I suppose it'll remain listed on the site for awhile yet, if anyone would care to comment/critique....

I'm gradually putting together the GB crowns in nice circ condition such as this one , it's a perfect match actually!
>>

Nice coin, from Scottyland of course. The mint in Edinburgh was supposed to stay open under the terms of the "Act of Union" but while it had a paid staff until 1816 - no coins were minted after 1709. I have one of the Crowns, very similar to yours in fact, that I paid a lot less for because I didn't/wouldn't pay the slab price and I noticed it was a bit of a floor queen for a local dealer.

Bottom

worldcoinguy
Collector

Tuesday May 31, 2011 4:29 PM

I have to echo the past posts - CNG consistently has nice eye candy to admire and grading and photography seem very consistent.

Very nice piece that you picked up...... I hope you dont mind if I share the pic.

Bottom

SaorAlba
Master Collector

Tuesday May 31, 2011 7:03 PM

<< I have to echo the past posts - CNG consistently has nice eye candy to admire and grading and photography seem very consistent.

Very nice piece that you picked up...... I hope you dont mind if I share the pic.

>>

Unfortunately, yours is a bit nicer than mine - and since I have a larger collection of Scottish than thee, you should duly send to me :-} That said, you bought yours at the CNG grade - which is an accurate reflection of how I feel the coin is graded. Mine came in some oversexed NGC holder that was about 10pts ta high. CNG does grade conservatively, they may seem a bit nigh on the price at times - but you will always be pleased with the merchandise.

Hmm, coincidentally I picked up my big box from them with my goodies in it just earlier this evening.

Bottom

jayPem
Collector

Tuesday May 31, 2011 8:28 PM

Very nice....glad to see her posted !
I'm in dire need of some literature, any such thing as a "Red book" for British coins ?

Bottom

coinkat
Choose Your Title

Wednesday June 01, 2011 2:52 AM

yes- The Spink Calatog of Coins of England

Bottom

jayPem
Collector

Wednesday June 01, 2011 7:57 AM

Thanks Coinkat,
I had a post here awhile back, hoping to find a dated copy. I suppose it's time to pony up and buy a new one.
Any suggestions as to where to look for one ?

Bottom

FilthyBroke
Expert Collector

Wednesday June 01, 2011 8:34 AM

I've got an older copy of the Spink book if you're interested.....it's the '06 (41st edition).

Bottom

FORUMS > WORLD & ANCIENT COINS FORUM [ REFRESH ]
View Member Listing | Add To Member Listing

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Terms of Membership

Collectors Universe, Inc., or any subsidiary or affiliate is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness or validity of any information contained in any messages.

FuseTalk 3.0 - Copyright 1999-2002 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.