Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help ID the date on a Thailand 10 Baht Coin.

I'm a YN who collects mostly US coins but over the years I have acquired (somehow never bought) a lot of foreign coins. I recently decided to organize and inventory all of them. I Rented the Standard Catalog of World Coins from my local library and went to work. I have identified and inventoried 90% of them and I need some help IDing the rest. In the next few days, when I have time, and when I can figure out how to take better pictures, I will post my questions.

Edited to add:
(Question 2 Here)
(Question 3 Here)
(Question 4 Here)
(Question 5 Here)

My Question for today is can you help me identify the date on this Thai 10 Baht coin.

Bellow is what I suspect the date is. Even using the Thai translation key in the front of the Standard Catalog of World Coins I can't figure out what the date is. Acording to that the date is "2545" which I'm pretty sure cannot be right. image

Thanks,
Cheddy

Edited to add: I have 6 other Thai coins that I need to ID the date.

and

This coin has a funny story. When I was in Italy in 2006, I got "robbed".
First of all, in Italy to get a shopping cart at any store you have to put in a two euro coin and when you return it you get the coin back. Now on my way to get a cart, a lady walked up to me and in Italian she asked me too give her two euros for the cart so we both didn't have to walk to the cart storage area. It sounded logical to me and I also checked the edge of the coin sticking out of the dispenser to make sure it was a 2 euro coin and not a 1 euro coin which also fits in the carts. This 10 baht coin is the same shape and metal of a 2 euro coin so it looked fine to me. I gave her two Euros and I went shopping. When I returned the cart, instead of a two euro popping out, this coin came out. It might have been a mistake, but I'm pretty sure I got jipped out of my 2 Euros because 10 baht is only worth about 30 cents and also there are a lot of scam artists there.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    B.E. 2545 is correct. That is 2002 A.D.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    That's funny image
    I remember when the euro debuted there were a few panicked articles about these, apparently people had just discovered the similarity. Anyhow, you'll find them passed off in bars and such, and the cart deposit is one of the few places they work since that is just a crude receptacle.. most vending machines won't accept them, which stinks 'cause I have a roll of 'em image