Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1955 CANADIAN ARNPRIOR DOLLARS - EVIDENTLY THERE ARE 2 VARIETIES?

I am listing a 1955 PL set (original RCM cardboard & cello wrap) on eBay, and it was brought to my attention by a bidder that the dollar is an Arnprior variety. I thought that a true 'Arnprior' had to have the obverse die break between the 'T' & 'I' of 'GRATIA', but in checking my 2008 Charlton, it does list two Arnprior dollars in 1955 - one is listed as 'ARNPRIOR W/DB' and the other as just 'ARNPRIOR'.
The dollar in this set definitely has only 2 1/2 waterlines on the reverse, but does NOT have the obverse die break... I went ahead and edited to add 'ARNPRIOR' dollar to the body of the description... comments about this variety from the Canadian collectors? I can always re-edit or relist the entire auction, but I think I am accurate, judging from the reference source.
Here is the coin

Thanks,
Chuck
Don't you know that it's worth
every treasure on Earth
to be young at heart?
And as rich as you are,
it's much better by far,
to be young at heart!

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are two varieties- what you were told is correct. Unfortunately, it is a little more complicated though. I have the 1955 Arnprior with the die break- no question about that one.

I also have what I thought was the other type Arnprior which was not PL - just a regular business strike, but very attractive and it was submitted and did not get an Arnprior designation- I was not happy and was told that some of the 1955 dollars without the die break will have weak water lines from either being struck from worn dies or the water lines were effected by die polish- apparently, the coin I submitted was not quite there in terms of missing water lines to be an Arnprior. There are Short water lines for various years- including 1946, 1950 and I believe 1954 among others. I have been confused about this for quite awhile.

From the images, I am not able to comment further as to whether yours would be or not. The non-die break Arnprior sells for less than the die break variety

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    While waiting for replies, I went & looked at an ICCS graded Arnprior dollar that I own. The die break is really tough to see, probably because of the 2 layers of plastic that they use - why do they holder their coins like that? - but it was evident with a loupe.
    The reverse does look a bit different also - the water lines are shorter, and a bit more of the island has been polished away.
    However, since both versions of the variety result from overpolished dies, I guess it comes down to a judgement as to the extent of overpolishing, or lack of waterlines. The Charlton guide mentions this when talking about the Arnprior varities w/o the die break....it says something to the effect that collectors will pay more for the variety depending on the degree of overpolishing... I was warned about the hazards of collecting Canadian coinage many years ago by a wise forum member!
    Don't even get me started about the 1953 NSF/SF issue!image
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • Options
    1955 Arnprior variety. In business strike MS they had both with DB or without DB, but on the proof like never with DB.
  • Options
    Very interesting answer. It does appear that Charlton does not list the Arnprior w/diebreak as being available in PL surfaces, but I went and checked my ICCS graded coin, and it does indeed list the coin as 1955 Arnprior $1 - PL66. As I mentioned, the die break is very hard to see, but with 5X magnification, it is evident. The coin certainly appears to be a PL finish - I have MS examples of Canadian $1 coins from the mid 1950s , and this coin does not look at all like an MS coin.
    ICCS is normally a stickler for stuff like that - by the book only - so either they got it wrong, or Charlton needs to update their information. I plan on submitting it to pcgs in the near future - interesting to see how the grade it!
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • Options
    PL and MS graded Canadian Dollars from the 1950s- How can this not be PL? How did this get PL? This is perhaps one of the better and more controversial issues I see in collecting Canadian Dollars- I have decided not to take this issue too serious... at least for nowimage

• Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Don't get me started, Kat. image
  • Options
    Oops... sorryimageimage

• Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    1949. Is it PL or MS PL? 1953. Same-o, Same-o. Dang it, Kat! image