Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Sharp little Vickie Straits Settlements newp

I think I will be happy with this one, just purchased as an AU.

I paid $63.25, which seems in line with the 2007 Krause values of $32 in XF and $120 in UNC. This one looks really close to UNC, just as the seller said. There is the question of whether it's been dipped or not, but even if that is the case, it's not the end of the world.

I'm trying to bring my daughter's 1901 British Empire Victoria type set up to all slabworthy coins. This will replace a VF-ish piece.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU55 IMO. Nice coin.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    Not only a nice coin, but it is apparently going up in value also. The 2006 edition has it at $25 in xf and $100 in Unc. Nice acquistion.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,835 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Straight Settlements and Hong Kong have been moving

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, just make sure your daughter actually gets them. image
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Nice pickup! image

AU-58 for subdued luster and chatter in fields.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's here!

And, as I'd hoped, there's a bit more luster in hand than in the pics. A lovely little coin, with no regrets at all.

Furthermore, the seller, Rod Z., ("rdzcoins" on eBay), sent a nice personal note saying, "hope you are pleased", and "kind regards from Texas", and drew a smiley face. He also attached a "small bonus".

Now there's a seller who's a class act- one who includes an unexpected bonus coin. He must have been happy with the price he got from the auction. I try to be that way myself- if I felt I got a strong price on something, I toss in some inexpensive bonuses.

This guy, however, tossed in a Brown UNC 1895-KB Hungarian 1-filler piece, with tiny hints of red!

Even in my more generous-feeling moments, I don't usually give out Mint State 19th century coins (even inexpensive ones) for free!

This guy is gonna get glowing feedback, for sure.

Not all eBay sellers are slime- here's a tip o' the Holey Gold Hat to one who's well above the bar! image

Hmm... look at this one. Same seller.

That one would also be a considerable upgrade, seein's how our Straits 1-cent is a G-VG-ish and rather ugly hole filler. Perhaps "rdzcoins" ain't seen the last of me yet.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just made another 1901 Vickie newp, as it happens.

Nothing quite so special about this one, being that it's more circulated and not really slabworthy, but it fills an empty hole in the set, and it cost me a whopping $1.99 (with $2.00 shipping).

imageimage

Too bad it won't look like our 1901 Ceylon quarter-cent. Now all we need is the half-cent, and Ceylon is done (though of course I'll eventually want to upgrade this piece).