Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My fractional farthings (most pics by Mark Goodman). DIALUP WARNING!

I've decided to make this thread an ongoing gallery of my fractional farthings and add to it as I gain pieces.

Reading Hussulo's thread about completing his 1/3 farthing set (a very nice accomplishment!) made me realize that I never posted the pics that Mark Goodman took for me about a month back. The majority of the pics are Mark's, the more recent images (masked to black) are mine.

My collection isn't as complete as Hussulo's is, but I've also been working on the 1/4 farthings and 1/2 farthings. It's been an on-and-off thing over the last few years; I haven't really been serious with the fractionals, but it's one area where I'm keeping everything while I sell off just about all my other darkside holdings.

When viewing the pieces below and what appear to be "huge hits", keep in mind that these coins are EXTREMELY tiny... and these pics are EXTREMELY large. image

Diameters and weights of the coins in question:

1/2 Farthing: 18mm, 2.35 grams
1/3 Farthing (1827-1844): 16mm, 1.5 grams
1/3 Farthing (1866-1913): 15.5mm, 0.95 grams
1/4 Farthing: 13.5mm, 1.2 grams

And without further ado, here are my phractional pharthings:

Quarter Farthings

1839. PCGS MS64 RB. The jewel of my collection. Criminally undergraded in my opinion.

1852. NGC MS63 BN. Now replaced by the next coin, so this one is available for trade.

1852. NGC MS64 BN.

1853. NGC MS62 BN.

Third Farthings

1827. NGC MS63 BN. Got the following piece as an upgrade, so I might trade/sell this one.

1827. PCGS MS64 BN.

1835. PCGS MS64 RB. Some bizarre color.

1844. NGC MS65 RD. Large G in "REG" variety.

1844. NGC MS63 BN, MINT ERROR: 5% CURVED CLIP. Neat having a key date that's also an error. Large G in "REG" variety.

1866. NGC MS65 RB.

1866. NGC PF64 RB.

1881. ANACS MS64 RD.

1885. PCGS MS64 RD.

1902. NGC MS66 RD.

Half Farthings

1843. NGC MS64 RB.

1844. NGC MS64 BN. Personally, I think it's overgraded, but I like the eye appeal.

I Still need to buy an MS example of the E/N variety.

1847. NGC MS64 BN.

1851. PCGS MS65 BN. (en route.). 1851/5581 variety.

And last but not least:

1854. NGC MS66 BN.

Comments

• Options
    All I can say is "WOW!". I said it quite a few times while scrolling down through those beautiful pics!

There's a lot of die clashing going on there!

A truly nice collection - Congrats!
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Wow lovely coins all have a lot of eye appeal to. Great photos by Mr Goodman once again.

I was watching that coin on ebay too but couldn't afford to pull thr triger on it this month.
    looks like a smashing coin and nice upgrade, although your other coin is also very interesting.
    As well as being a clipped error it is of the rarer variety of 1844 with a large "G" in REG.
    Shhh don't tell PCGS as to my knowledge they don't add this designation onto the slabs but they are worth
    slightly more then the normal REG varieties. image

Thats why I think the one on eBay has "REG" meaning it is the standard REG variety.
    There is an even rarer one that has the "G" missing so it reads RE instead of REG.

• Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I really like them. Outstanding images as well.
  • Options

<< <i>1839. PCGS MS64 RB. The jewel of my collection. Criminally undergraded in my opinion. >>

I agree with you.

Also, some of those have quite interesting die clashes, especially that 1866 1/3 Farthing. Normally, I don't care for die clashed strikes, since a lot of detail often gets lost, even in high MS grades. However, I love that one! The die clash seems to have made it more, rather than less, interesting in appearance.
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the die clashes are indeed particularly nice. Very cool collection you're working on.
  • Options
    I image that 1839!!! image
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    The 1865 is my favorite. It appears that the reverse leaves are coming through on the obverse... very nice.... I also like all the die cracks!
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post and beautiful coins
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What breathtaking beauties.

Crazy clip on that one. And crazy clashing on that 1866's obverse, too.

I can see why you're quite enamored of the first coin. It's a jawdropper, for sure.

I had a nice Red 1844 half farthing, once.

The date 1844 is also significant to those of us of the Baha'i persuasion- it's the Year One in the Baha'i calendar. My parents aren't coin collectors but they're always tickled when I give 'em something from 1844.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.