Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need help with a jeton/counter

I think that I had some help on this one from someone years ago, but cannot find the slip with the ID information. I believe that it is a jeton/counter, but I'm not 100% sure. It's about 19mm in diameter, very thin, and appears to be uncirculated. The original envelope that it came in has this written on it...

Mintmaster of Nuremburg, Christian Sigmund Anert
Sun, Moon, Star
Woleg, Magnus, Anert RE.PP
Ship Plus Ultra Mex. W.M.A.
Mitchiner-1910a
Brass

Does anyone recognize the piece, and if so could they ID it and give me some sort of idea of it's value.

Thanks in advance.

"Have a nice day!"

Comments

• Options
    Everything on that envelope appears to be the correct attribution. I have seen some of these-- from what I have gathered, these
    "Plus Ultra" jettons date anywhere from the mid to late 1700's
  • Options
    "Mitchiner-1910a" is a catalog number from Michael Mitchiner's 3-volume work on Jetons, Medalets & Tokens published in England during the 1980s-90s. From the other information you give, I'm sure yours is listed in Vol 1 The Medieval Pd. & Nuremberg, a 700+ page tome published in 1988.

Scott Seamans lists 20+ books by Dr. Mitchiner , but he doesn't have any of the token books available for sale. image

You might check your local public library. If they don't have it, they may be able to get it for you on a temporary inter-library loan.
    Roy

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Really cool jeton. I am slowly accumulating these, myself. -Dan