Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

(Updated) Remember that "surprise ending" auction I had? Well, it is starting to make sen

OK, so I'm watching my auctions end. Which is particularly interesting because the British are coming, the British are coming. Several British snipers got active on my old 17th century tokens.

However, the one token which sat the most neglected out of the bunch and had been languishing all week, was the surprise.

It was at $7.05 a minute before the auction closed.

Click here to see why I nearly fell out of my chair, and am still physically shaking.

It HAD to be an error. If not, somebody is gonna get some NICE freebies! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then again, maybe not. There were TWO bidders.

Obviously it is some rare thing.

I bought this from Aethelred at the Charlotte show this spring. For something like three bucks, I think.

I owe you a freebie too, Michael! Who'dve thunk it?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    OMG!

Congrats.

Put the money to good use.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scarce token.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    The least you could do is refund his shipping!

Good show.
    imageimageimageimageimage
    Roy

• Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    Now that is a nice return on a $3 investment image
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a Roman Egypt Diocletian AE Tetradrachm on Ebay this morning.
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    Incredible! Coingrats! Those make up for some of the other items that don't do as well as expected.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options

<< <i>Then again, maybe not. There were TWO bidders.

Obviously it is some rare thing.

I bought this from Aethelred at the Charlotte show this spring. For something like three bucks, I think.

I owe you a freebie too, Michael! Who'dve thunk it? >>

A free dinner!! image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    Terry, you were about six feet away when I bought that thing!

• Options
    ...good thing I got to paw through Michael's box first, eh? image

• Options
    Oh, yeah, BTW- the bidder has paid, as have all but one!

• Options
    Your last batch caused a lot of interest. Can you keep the interest going?

Great lots!
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • Options
    I have lots and lots and lots more, though no more 17th century English tokens that I'm aware of. (Certainly a few 17th century coins in the pile here, though...)

• Options
    Update: according to Nigel Clark, the UK buyer of this token, it is the fifth one known, and two are in museums.

Cool, huh?

• Options
    And you sold it for $350 image
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    I'm cool with that. I got my money back a hundredfold.

If it were an actual mint issue coin, or a big silver crown or something, it would command a bigger price.

But for exonumia, you have small populations by the very nature of the beast. A pop 5 item like this might only be worth $350 wholesale. If the buyer gets $500-600 on it, good for him. If, on the other hand, he gets 10K for it, then I'll weep.

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Great story! You should write it up for Coin World and World Coin News.

• Options
    Hm. Hadn't thought of that.

Mr. Von Klinger, et al- you listenin'?

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    5th one known to them

you should write back and say you have a couple moreimage
  • Options
    Do ya think he'd tell you what his max. bid was?
  • Options
    He might, now that it's shipped. We've had quite a back-and-forth conversation via email, and he seems a nice chap.

Not that I really care. I made my windfall off it, and if he does the same, good for him.

One of the other times something like this happened to me was when I decided to sell an old military belt plate I'd dug while detecting.

It was a US Light Dragoons plate from the War of 1812. Because it was pewter and had become corroded and flaky in the ground, in addition to its being slightly bent, it was ugly... but identifiable. It had little display value to me, so despite it being my first (and currently only) military beltplate dug, I put it on eBay with a $150 start, having an inkling that it might be rare.

It was quite rare, actually, perhaps being only the second or third known intact example. The reference book on military plates was illustrated with a line drawing and a photo of some fragments of one.

It went for $990, to a major dealer in historical military relics. He kept emailing me to make sure I didn't back out of the deal. I had to laugh, because I was thrilled. He later told me he'd have bid as high as $1250 for it. But you see, it hadn't cost me a thing, and it was ugly. Normally I don't sell my dug stuff, but I do not regret selling that one. I ended up buying a Draped Bust dime and some other early type coins with the money. (Which was what I had been hoping to find at that old plantation site, in the first place.)

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭
    Another great story! In one thread! image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Yes, this IS a good thread.....image
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    WTG LM, It's so nice to hit a rare gold mineimage