Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Birth Coin for the New Darksider Part II. Go to Thread III, please!

Roughly $420 from over 20 forum members has been pledged for the birth coin for 1Jesters new son. Now the fight begins...image

I am looking for recommendations from all interested parties. Could we be talking about an old coin and/or a new coin? NCLT or otherwise? Silver or gold? Perhaps a set?

I need to hear from you folks!

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    There may just be enough to get both a 1/2 tr oz Australia Lunar BU gold coin (2007 - Year of the Pig) and a 1 tr oz Australia Lunar BU silver coin (2007 - Year of the Pig). Lunar birth year, silver and gold. From Apmex.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote for Churchill crowns......
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    I'm thinking something large, old, and beautiful. Maybe a Jubilee head Crown, or since the money is there for one; a veiled head Vicky Crown? these are beautiful, historic coins that seem to have a bright future ahead in the sense of appreciation.

• Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    "I vote for Churchill crowns...... "
    You could get a lot of Churchill's for that money!

How about a Vicky shield back Sovereign?
  • Options

<< <i>I vote for Churchill crowns...... >>

ohhhh yeah! like some nice MS60 Churchill crowns with tons of bag marks. those are some real lookers! image
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be cool to get coins from 1807, 1907, and 2007.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I vote for Churchill crowns...... >>

Well, I just gave my one and only Churchill Crown to Ajaan so he can try to make his elusive MS67, though he's probably too embarrassed to send it in, or even admit to owning one, for that matter...image

I like Trozau's way of thinking...

...but really guys and gals, I'm floored by the generosity exhibited by the Darksiders, my family!

imageimageimage

.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Since the lucky boy is half-Polish, I would vote for this 2007 gold coin commemorating the 75th anniversary of Poland's role in breaking the Nazis' secret "Enigma" codes. To expand the picture of the coin, click on the word "Powieksz" under the pic on the right side. It's a cool design and priced at 819 PLN, that works out to just under $300. Enough to buy something additional. image
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like secondrepublic's idea. Maybe a US coin to go along with it.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    I'll do anything on my website at my cost image
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options

<< <i>I'll do anything on my website at my cost image >>

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    OK, a couple of questions...

No. 1, is there an official mint or proof set for Poland 2007, that would almost be a natural.
    No. 2, is there a Polish coin that is a couple of hundred years old that is popular or iconic that could help make up a "something old, something new" combination.
    No. 3, I think Milord gifted the lad with an ASE so that might take care of any US intentions.
    No. 4, perhaps 1Jester could chime in here- surely there is a polish coin you can think of which he and all of us might like?
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had been thinking a sovereign given it's international appeal...but with the donation list where it is, it would take quite a nice one! Given the opportunity to buy a Polish 2007 coin in gold seems too cool though. I like that idea, and maybe there is enough left over for a half sovereign for the rest of his heritage--or if not a half sovereign, a fractional Britannia or a crown (NOT CHURCHILL)!

Cathy

• Options

<< <i>I'll do anything on my website at my cost image >>

great idea, thanks for offering this!

• Options
    Since it doesn't appear to be closed yet, can someone inform me as to how I can input my ten bucks? Along with that, I like to suggest some really beautiful coins that are technically light side (but they don't know it, yet). Gem grade 1903 to 1906 US-Philippines Pesos are conditional rarities, extreme conditional rarities, and they have a lovely compelling design as well. Since the coin is for his child, and it would be especially nice if the coin were to increase substantially in value by the time he is old enough to appreciate it, the upside to this category is a ten or twenty bagger over the next few years. A Darkside veteran, (JustHavingFun), who holds the number one registry set can provide the insight as to which has the highest potential, and it isn't what I expected, so there may be an opportunity here to get one at a steal. Also, JHF has accumulated many 'seconds' to his top pops, one of which he might let go for such a thing (I don't mean for free though). Anyway, that is my suggestion. I'll try to send laurentyvan a pm to get donation information regardless of the final decision.

Check this thread to see what JHF has stated regarding these pesos...
    Is $3,000 insanely high for an US Philippine 10 centavo in MS66
  • Options
    Polish gold sounds like a nice possibility.
  • Options
    Poland has produced so many stunningly beautiful gold commemorative designs over the past 15 years I couldn't even begin to pick a favorite. Though they aren't too scarce, some are hard to find now. I'm not really that close to the market to be able to make any kind of educated guess as to which designs will prove investor favorites in years to come. That said, I do think such a gift idea would be wise, not to mention well-received. I appreciate Danglen's offer of getting one at cost, and as I've said somewhere before, he has the depth of knowledge as well as inventory to provide the widest possible choice as far as modern Polish coins are concerned. Iloilo - I too like Philippine coinage (had a nice Peso once, along with a 1918-S large S in AU), and would certainly appreciate something along those lines, especially with JHF's advice that they will rise in value.

Thank you all!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like secondrepublic's idea. Maybe a US coin to go along with it. >>

I agree, at least to the fact that it should be a nice Polish coin of some kind, if not the exact one secondrepublic linked to, though I am sure that is nice (I am having slow browser issues at the moment and the page was taking too long to load so I didn't peek at it).

<< <i>No. 3, I think Milord gifted the lad with an ASE so that might take care of any US intentions. >>

Indeed. I have the Liteside half of this covered with a 2007 ASE.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used this thread for a little Litesider-baiting. image

The Darksiders have collected more for this gift fund than I have for a Red Cross charity fund on the Liteside, WITH a gold coin giveaway to boost it along. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    There are couple of Polish gold commemoratives coming out this year. Another one is for the 750th anniversary of the founding of Krakow. But this one might be just above the price range.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    I appreciate Danglen's offer of getting one at cost, and as I've said somewhere before, he has the depth of knowledge as well as inventory to provide the widest possible choice as far as modern Polish coins are concerned.

Would Danglen be willing to suggest a few?

By the way, contributions continue- we are in the $440 to $450 range now.
  • Options

<< <i> Would Danglen be willing to suggest a few? >>

I have not received my annual shipment of modern Polish Mint coins from Poland yet, but I do expect them in within the next six weeks or so. The annual issue of wildlife 20 zl proof silver coins have done a great job in appreciating in value over the past several years and I do have the 2007 issue on my website (Gray Seal). Even the 2 zl Nordic Gold coins have gone up significantly on some issues (e.g. Stag Beetle, Wolf). I don't do a lot with gold so I can't be of much help in that area.
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    I spent a large majority of yesterday searching the internet and eBay for appropriate Polish coins and couldn't find anything that struck me as likely.

I wanted the forum to select a coin to reflect this young man's heritage but due to the paucity of Polish coins available, I'm thinking any world coin that meets the forum's requirements might do.

Please start making suggestions from the broader palette of world coins.

Or, should we simply send jester the money and let him make what he feels is an appropriate selction- item for discussion.

• Options
    Hey guys, it may cost a few more bucks than we have in the kitty, but how about an American Eagle 20th Anniversary Set with the reverse proof? I know it's lightside, but has already shown a significant propensity to increase in value (current Graysheet bid is $500.00) and I can't imagine what the set might be worth in 20 years or so. Just a thought....
    danglen

My Website

• Options
    I'd be happy to put in the difference for any suitable coin or set that is decided upon, due to the fact that Polish coins are hard to get stateside.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd be happy to put in the difference for such a set >>

No you won't, so don't even think about it.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I was hoping to find a nice Talar from 1812 say, or perhaps a 10 Zlotych from the 1820's- there's even a nice 5 gulden from 1923 but there doesn't seem to be much available of that type of thing.image... at least not that I could find.
  • Options
    I especially like the reverse on the Thaler of 1766, #187.
  • Options
    Thanks for the hint Cathy. I don't know if NEN will accept $450 for this coin, but what do you think?
  • Options
    That's a nice Siggy, but I would go for a bit of a larger-sized piece image But that's just me...
  • Options
    How about a POLL to vote on which coin will go to the little Pole? image
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm too lazy to look it up...this one is in the$400s on NEN too:
    NEN again. Is this one a nice one?

Cathy

edit to add from Clark Smith some gold:
    Poland 1925; Gold 10 Zlotych; UNC Obv | Rev $335
    Poland 1925; Gold 20 Zlotych; AU-UNC Obv | Rev $475
    scroll down

• Options
    I saw that one Cathy, described as partially olive but to me it was green and green scares me.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw that one Cathy, described as partially olive but to me it was green and green scares me. >>

I agree, that is NOT a wise choice....IMHO, it looks to have problems.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the hint Cathy. I don't know if NEN will accept $450 for this coin, but what do you think? >>

That's a nice coin but I simply am astounded and dumbfounded at the asking price. They say it's rare in uncirculated grade but plenty exist in that grade (I know a collector of these trojaks who has literally thousands of them in every imaginable date and mint combination; I picked up one (1592) in that grade 8 years ago for under $30. Granted, prices might have gone north since then but 20 times? I guess I'm not keeping up with the market.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    No jester, you are correct. I wish I had invested in Polish coins as strongly as I had invested in Russian coins. A Danzig Pfennig I paid $25 for went for over $125. A Zloty I have with book value of $12 to $20 in XF/AU is currently over $50, WTF? I don't want this opportunity wasted on a currently popular coin that may not retain its value.

Ajaan had a great suggestion and I am following it:

We have roughly $450 to spend on coins as a gift for for Jester's new son. I am asking members to PM me their choice of coin or coins. PLEASE only one or two coins that add up to no more than $450 and remember, we will have to pay for shipping and such. Please, only one entry per member. If possible, please include a link to the coin(s) where they can be bought. Be as specific as possible, just don't say 'a gold coin'. All choices must be received by me by date 6/11/07. Once I receive them, I'll set up a poll and have all members vote, the winning choice will be bought and sent to Jester for his son. In the event of a tie, a new poll will be set up with the tied coins until we get one winner. Remember, the winner may be 2 coins that add up to $450.

Any suggestions are welcomed and remember, I will be PM'ing all contributors soon for their pledges.