Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need ID/information help on some newps

I need some cluefulness on these local pickups.

Vickie death medal. About the size of a U.S. quarter. Could they possibly find an uglier representation of Victoria? Looks like Jabba the Hutt. Not flattering at all. Were these available in other sizes and metals? I assume so.

Spain 16 Maravedis, 1663. I cannot find a "CT" mintmark combination listed in Krause.

Trier Petermenger 1672. Uhh.... what exactly is a "petermenger"? Is that like a henway? One of the oddest denomination names I've ever encountered. Interesting looking alien on the obverse.

German? Spielmarke? Not sure what this little brass token is, or what it signifies, but I thought the imagery was cool. Between the size of a U.S. dime and nickel. The "PLUS ULTRA" on the reverse makes it seem like some sort of advertising... any idea what time period it's from?

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting Spanish piece. A bit out of my area of expertise, but could it be Cartagena? The Colombian one, not the Spanish one. The mint at Cartagena was re-located to Bogota around 1621, but there were 8 Reales still minted there in 1655, so the same mint could've produced copper...

Just making assumptions, here.... If it was an 8 Reale piece, I would at least be able to narrow it down to a Calbeto number.

Good luck.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uhh.... what exactly is a "petermenger"?

From the sound of it, it's something you don't want anywhere near your lap. Ouch! image

Here's your Lauer people who probably struck that rechenpfennig.

I think that company made medals and stuff during the Third Reich, which is probably not something they'll highlight on their web page. At any rate, I got various Nazi-period medals when I Googled the name. (Some of them were quite handsome.)

From the style of this piece, particularly the lettering, denticulation, etc, I would put your "Plus Ultra" rechenpfennig somewhere in the German Imperial period, say 1880s-1910s. Just a wild guess. I like the sun & moon design, too, but the ship is rather primitively and cartoonishly rendered. Interesting piece.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    Notice that "The man on the moon" on the German piece is upside-down?
    Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Could they possibly find an uglier representation of Victoria? Looks like Jabba the Hutt. Not flattering at all. >>

Well, she was dead... image

<< <i>Trier Petermenger 1672. Uhh.... what exactly is a "petermenger"? >>

I believe "petermenger" roughly translates to "bearing the image of Peter". "Peter", of course, being Saint Peter, keeper of the Keys to the Kingdom. Your "alien" is indeed holding a whopping great key. A petermenger was equivalent to 8 Trier pfennigs, and the equivalent to the "albus" used by neighbouring states.

I'm not sure whether your coin is a full petermenger, or half-petermenger (4 pfennigs). Halves are listed for that date in Krause, petermengers aren't. But that may not mean anything; I've noticed that many minors aren't listed in Krause, anyways.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess what... I just got a holey rechenpfennig in the 35-lb bulk lot ajaan sent me, and it has your same "Plus Ultra" cartoon ship on it!

It is small, though, and really thin. I don't remember offhand if it has the sun/moon obverse but I recall it having the Lauer name on it. I just saw it drift by in the pile and didn't really look at it with a loupe. I am just doing some preliminary pawing through the gigantic lot.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.