Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question about mailing from US post office

Slightly off topic, but I will throw it out there to see what others think. I just returned from the local post office here in Ohio, where I just mailed 3 packages. Two of the packages went to domestic addresses, and the third went to Japan via registered mail. I filled out the customs form, and wrote numismatic, as I usually do. They usually never question it. Apparently today I had to deal with the queen supreme commander of the USPS. She asked what numistmatics meant, and I told her it refers to collecting coins. She proceeded to tell me it is illegal to send coins overseas, and most countries will confiscate them at the border. She walked into the back and brought out a thick catalog with all the world wide laws surrounding mail, and a coworker joined her. They proceeded to look up Japan, and sure enough, it says that shipping coins or banknotes is illegal. I told her this seemed crazy. Next, we then looked up some other countries I have send coins to in the last 2 years, and saw similar results. She told me I can "chance it" and wished me good luck (this is insured registered mail remember). I sent the package.

My question to forum members - is this the case of a postal employee taking things too serious, or is this a legitimate concern? So far, eBay has connected me with buyers in China, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Estonia, Germany, Iceland, Isreal, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Spain, South Korea, Sweden, Taiwan, the UK, and Russia. So far, I have never had a single problem. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never had a coin confiscated by a foreign post office.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

How far away is the next nearest post office?

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have never had a coin confiscated by a foreign post office. >>

I have had one or two "consfiscated" by dishonest postal workers, but not by a customs agency.

When sending overseas, I usually label the customs form as "product samples," or something non-numismatic that is also not necessarily false.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How far away is the next nearest post office? >>

My thoughts exactly. image
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    I had a post office employee ask what Numismatic items was, he was persistant and finally got the word coins out of me... That package did not make it to the receiver... go figure.

Since then, I put metal disks as the contense and they have never questioned what was in the package. If they ask, I'll say, Like a washer... it's not a lie and it keeps the post person honest.

It's a sad world we live in.

• Options
    I think her sister works at one of the offices here in Albuquerque. She gave me such a bad time for two or three international shipments that each time I took the same package to another office, and had absolutely no problem. If it is anything slightly unusual, I just don’t use that Post Office.

Your first clue should have been when she did not know what Numismatic meant.

Don’t try to fight a bureaucrat, you can never win.

I ship items overseas regularly, and have never had any problems.

Bob
    I like Ikes!! But I especially like Viking Ships, Swedish Plate Money, and all coins Scandinavian.
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don’t try to fight a bureaucrat, you can never win. >>

Isn't that the truth!

Thanks for all the comments everybody. Its funny - despite all the USPS rules and regulations, there seems to be a dozen different ways to interpret them. For example, some workers let me send registered mail in padded envelopes, others require plain white envelopes, and others tell me it can only be in the cardboard mailer that the USPS sells. I think it is best to take my next mailings elsewhere during regular hours. Maybe the personnel that work the extra hour until 6:00 in the local post office (the only local one with extended hours) are just frustrated that they drew the short straw on the extended hours.
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

<< <i> For example, some workers let me send registered mail in padded envelopes, others require plain white envelopes, and others tell me it can only be in the cardboard mailer that the USPS sells. >>

I have run into that same problem here in Louisiana. It is so aggrevating when you have a package prepared perfectly. stand in line for 30 minutes (There's always a line at my post office) and then have a clerk tell you that you can't use a certain envelope package that you've used with no problems several time before !!!!!
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Since then, I put metal disks as the contense and they have never questioned what was in the package. >>

That is great thinking, I am going to start doing that with overseas mailings. While I have never had an issue with this, it has concerned me. In most cases if I am questioned by the PO clerk I will just take the package home with me and mail it at a later date. I know most of the PO clerks at the two post offices I use and they know I am mailing coins and in any event don't even ask, every now and then I get a new clerk that is full of piss and vinegar and have to break them in. A few of the PO clerks are also customers at the coin shop, so that helps matters quite a bit!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    In many cases the coins we all send are no longer legal tender, and nothing more than a token. And that's what I call them on the customs forms, "tokens". image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In many cases the coins we all send are no longer legal tender, and nothing more than a token. And that's what I call them on the customs forms, "tokens". image >>

I am going to have to report you to the post office for that, you could go to post office jail!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In many cases the coins we all send are no longer legal tender, and nothing more than a token. And that's what I call them on the customs forms, "tokens". image >>

That's how I label mine as well. None haven't made it thus far...
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Thoughts? >>

The post office's rule book is not always accurate regarding what can and cannot be imported into other countries. If you check the USPS website for Australia, "coins" is the very first thing listed as prohibited. I was told by an Australian customer that he had contacted Australian customs and was told that numismatic items were not prohibited. When he told them that the USPS website disagreed, the customs agent basically told him "That's their [USPS's] problem." He also said that he contacted the USPS and told them what Australia customs told him, and the USPS said that they'd update their website when they received notification from Australia that their posted policy was not correct.

I no longer mail "coins" internationally- now, I send "processed planchets".
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>T

I no longer mail "coins" internationally- now, I send "processed planchets". >>

image Maybe they'll tell you that sending food is against postal regulations!! image

I've seen "stamped metal discs" as well.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    I imagine most countries make a distinction similar to the one the United States made between owning "gold" and owning "collectible gold coins" after the 1933 Executive Order.

Does Afghanistan want you shipping thousands of U.S. dollars in unmarked $20 and $50 bills into its heartland? No. But do they care if you repatriate an 11th-century silver dirham of Mas'ud? Or if you ship an Afghani customer a "Dowager Head" Victorian British crown? No.

-- Dentuck

P.S. I like "processed planchets"! Very clever, and not untrue. But "processed" might sound too threatening in today's sensitive security-heightened climate. Maybe "machined planchets"?
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    MrPaseo, I like your picture of "Flaming June." Have you been to the art museum in Ponce to see it in person? A great painting!
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've used 'obsolete tokens/medal'.

Cathy

ps. I've been to the museum in Ponce image -- beautiful!

• Options
    I'm not aware of it being illegal here in the UK to post coins but but anything did happen any insurance would be voir as they don't cover coins or jewellery.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've mailed coins and notes to england, the netherlands, russia, germany, canada and never had a problem, the post office just ask the usual questions and then they stamp the package and i pay. they know excatly what is in the packages i send cause i tell them, nothing has ever come up about laws and such

Just today an auction package for one of my customers arrived in the netherlands safe and sound without any problems

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19