Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

German Medal ID Help - Graf Von Moltke - added Pic

Co-worker brought in a token/medal/medallion he asked me if I could help identify. He bought an antique pistol in the '80s while stationed in Germany, and this medal was later found in the lining of the gun case.

I'll take pictures at lunch in about an hour, but I'll describe it now.

2" diameter, 1/8" thick, and I think bronze.

OBV has "GENERALFELDMARSCHALL GRAF VON MOLTKE" around the rim
inside the outer rim is "ERST WAGEN" about 9-10:00 and "DANN WAGEN" about 2-3:30 position
Has a right-facing bust in the center with initials "WM" under the bust with an olive? branch under the bust.

REV has "ZUM 90 GEBURTSTAGE 1800.26.OKT.1890"
There is a winged messenger blowing a horn, holding a sword with a shield and some foliage at his/her feet.

It looks like a 90th birthday commemorative medal of some sort.

Any info would be appreciated.

Edit - here's the pic.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never encountered a similar medal, but here's an aricle on Helmuth von Moltke (1800-1891) :

Wikipedia Link
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough one eh?

I tried about every variation of 50mm Medaille GRAF VON MOLTKE and every other word on the medal and can't find squat. I found a few other designs with him, but nothing like this.

Anyone have an idea of age, value, place to look?

Thanks. (We were teasing him at work that he snuck some German/Prussian treasure out of the country and the feds are coming image )

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    This is a commemorative medal honoring the 90th birthday of Graf (Count) Helmuth von Moltke. His famous quote, "Erst Wägen Dann Wagen," roughly translates to "Look before you leap."

The medal was struck in 1890, well into an era of nationalist mania for medals and tokens commemorating the heroes of Germany's recent (1860s to 1870) wars of unification.

In addition to medals, German homes of that era were piled high with memorabilia of the various royal families (the Hohenzollerns premier among them) and military heroes such as Moltke: postcards, framed portraits, cigar boxes, porcelain, plates, Parian and bronze busts, calendars, etc.

Your medal would bring between $20 and $50, possibly a bit more for its unusually large size, in an online auction.
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    That's pretty cool. image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found what this eBayer calls a "Pewter or Lead" version of this medal on eBay tonight.

Pewter Version of The Medal

I have since purchased this medal from my co-worker. My son didn't show much interest in it, so not sure what I'm doing with it yet.

Anyone else have any history on this piece?

Jeff