Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Something looks "fishy" (warning - large images)

If you remember my post last week about 4 new coins - you'll recognize this Baden Thaler below. The reason for my suspicion is that Ecu de Navarre in the set looked to be an old cast counterfeit (which i returned to the seller). Please check out the large images and tell me that I'm not 100% paranoid.

Here are the things that are bothering me:

There is no "waterline" of a cast - the edge seems perfect, although there's an area on 5 o'clock on the obverse that can be indicative of a "pour entry". This area contain scratches on the obverse, odd edge disturbance and corresponding break in the denticles on the reverse.

Also, check out the lettering on the reverse. Some letters appear to have a 45-degree "cut" at the base. My numismatic experience is limited, but It feels "odd" ....

Also, the year and "X Eine F Marck" appear to be flatter that the rest of the design. As if "shrunk".

There's also "pitting" over "R" in "Marck".

So ... can all of those things can are normal? I simply don't know enough about Talers of that period.

What do you think?

~Roman.

P.S. The weight is 28g.

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    That coin looks fine to me.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That coin looks fine to me. >>

Me too. The last pix with the purple box shows an area of planchet adjustment. The flan was weighed prior to striking, if too heavy, a rough file was used to shave it down to proper weight.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input, guys. Gene, First thing I thought of when I saw the "scratches" was planchet shaving to adjust the weight, since I have a copper 8Reales from 1813 with similar abrasions, but would it affect the entire coin? Both sides and the rim?

~Roman
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Roman,

From the photo it does not look like the adjustment marks inpact the entire coin, but they could. I have seen coins where adjustment marks cover most of one side of a coin and they can make the flan thinner in one area which will make the strike appear weak in that area. From a point of authenticty I see them as a very good sign that the coin is real and the weight on that coin is within range.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    Looks real to me. Doesn't have that "melted ice cream" look of a cast counterfeit.
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with the others. Looks fine to me. If it's fake, it would've fooled me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    To me it looks absolutely genuine.

And very pretty too!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    The adjustment marks could easily affect the metal flow on the other side of the coin causing them to be not fully struck.

Absolutely stunning piece !!!

Oops , I see the Dead King explained it much better earlier image

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Excellent photographs.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, everyone! Makes me feel much less paranoid now.

Dentuck, thank you for a compliment - i'm still learning the ropes when it comes to coin imaging image