Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anybody familiar with or know anything about this French Art Plaquette by R. Delamarre?

Thanks for looking image

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only that Raymond Delamarre was a prolific art medalist.

imageimage

imageimage
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭
    yes, it's either a plaque or plaquette...not a medal.
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    OK, thanks. I'll edit the title.
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    I know nothing about it, but I think it's very cool looking!
  • Options
    I have one of the same Plaquettes. (because of the Viking Ship on it.) Made in 1951, and I have seen a couple others that were cast copies where the details were not very well cast. Mine has about the same sharpness of details as yours. There is an incredible amount of information on that plaquette. Everyone who sees it is always impressed.

Now a question for Cachman, At what size does a plaquette become a plaque?

Bob
    I like Ikes!! But I especially like Viking Ships, Swedish Plate Money, and all coins Scandinavian.
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭
    “Plaque” and “plaquette.” Generally square or rectangular medals. The dividing line between the two – eight inches (20.3 cm). If a plaque gets too big its called a tablet (these are measured in feet and are rarely collected).

Spud...sorry, I was being a smart ass...image
  • Options
    Very interesting piece! First time I've seen one. It seems to honour the people who fought in the French revolutions - or fought for French independence. I'm not really sure how to interpret the knights at the bottom. As far as I know there were no French revolutions in the middle ages image
    Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭✭
    Haven't a clue...but I like it!
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Wow, beautiful!image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very cool...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    LINK

<< <i>HISTORY OF THE CITY OF PARIS, 1951. 91 x 60mm. Bronze. Raymond Delamarre, Sc. Uniface. (Arthus Bertrand) Unc. This is an intricate composition with a multitude of characters and icons representing Parisian historical events and personages . Included are scenes of a revolutionary beheading; medieval knights and horses; Napoleon , various kings, & soldiers. >>

From Baldwin's Auctions

<< <i>COMMEMORATIVE MEDALS / HISTORICAL MEDAL, BELGIUM, France and Belgium, Provinces and History, a series of four uniface rectangular bronze plaquettes, 1951, by Raymond Delamarre, each with busy crowded historical scenes, 90mm x 53mm (3) and 90mm x 60mm. Most decorative, and virtually as struck. (4) Estimate - 100-120 >>

"Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. I also found the following description at Link

French Provinces---90X60mm art plaque, much like the ones above but with even different scenes, very ornate and fine work by De Lamarre. This plaque slightly larger than the other two. Men in armor, crusades, Viking ship, and a whole lot more. Enjoyable to view---- $135.