Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The (In)Famous Winston Churchill Crown

The (In)Famous Winston Churchill Crown

Say what you will about the 1965 Churchill crown of Great Britain -- with its unorthodox depiction of
the famous WWII prime minister -- this is the most unique of commemoratives minted to honor the
great man.

Slightly more than nine and a half million of the crowns were struck following Churchill's death, and
the issue remains one of the most popular of big British coins. We can only assume this is because of
the wartime leader's legendary status, and not because of the design, which shows him in low relief
wearing a siren suit. I remember reading once that it looked as if the Prime Minister were swimming
out of a sea of clay (I forget where I read that, but it stuck with me!). If you lived through the war in
England, you remember the "siren suit" as a jumpsuit Mum or Da would quickly zip you into when
the air raid sirens started sounding. It was a quick way to cover pajamas and/or get you into the air
raid shelter without mussing up your day clothes.

As an aside, I love this account by writer Paul Merton, who contributed it to the Manchester Jewish
Museum, telling of his days in Salford during the war:

"On our return to I remember having to go to the air raid shelter at the bottom of the garden in the
middle of the night. It was always very cold in the shelter especially in winter. So I used to wear a
siren suit. Winston Churchill started the fashion for siren suits. The suits were like large baby grows
made from a heavy material and it kept you warm in the cold shelters. I would leap out of bed at the
sound of a siren and jump into my suit and hurry to the shelter. In the shelter we had a record player
which had to be wound up by hand. We used to play records. I clearly remember the records by
Flanagan & Allen entitled 'Umbrella Man' and 'Underneath the Arches'. The air raid shelter was
basically a square hole in the ground covered by corrugated iron sheets. We all had gas masks in
little cardboard boxes with a piece of string so that you could carry it over your shoulders. The boxes
weren't very strong and my mum made better ones out of bits of cloth. My Uncle Philip has always
had a loft of racing pigeons and during the war he bred carrier pigeons for the Army and the R.A.F."

Back to the coin -- the obverse has Mary Gillick's portrait of a young Queen Elizabeth II. With its
portrait of Churchill on the back, this was the first time in history that a commoner was depicted on a
British coin of the realm.

Sir Winston Churchill, most famous for serving as Prime Minister of Great Britain during WWII, was
also an author, historian, painter, Francophile, a horse owner with dozens of brood mares and racers,
Knight of the Order of the Garter (KG), 1953, Privy Councillor (PC), 1907, holder of the Order of
Merit (OM), 1946, Companion of Honour (CH), 1922, and Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS), 1941,
a smoker of Havana cigars, a horseman into his 70s and a swimmer into his 80s, Nobel Prize winner
for Literature ... a truly remarkable man.

This is an odd but endearing coin that belongs in every world coin collection. Say what you will -- I
like it!

-- Dentuck

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Say what you will -- I >>

WOW! That took guts.

I'm still looking for a MS67 cetrified example.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    For years I carried a Churchill crown as a good-luck piece.

Instead of "Heads or Tails?" it was "Winnie or Liz?"
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really looks as if old Winston was caught in the middle of trying to squeeze one out.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    A commoner on a coin!! image The very idea!!!

imageimageimage

PS: I wonder what mine would grade... I think I'll send it one day just for kicks.
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Francophile

Wow - he must have been a numismatist, collecting Francs. image

I think most collectors in Europe would have such a coin laying around the house.

Personally I have about 3 of them.
  • Options
    TyrockTyrock Posts: 287 ✭✭✭
    Interesting post. I've got one that my mother brought back from England when she was on vacation there.
  • Options
    Bill Fivaz gives out Eisenhower dollars as tips when he goes out to eat. I would love to carry around some Churchill crowns for the same purpose! From time to time you'll see a lot of 50 or 100 up for bid on eBay, but they're usually in Great Britain, and the shipping costs to the U.S. are prohibitive.
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Slightly more than nine and a half million of the crowns were struck >>

Seems to me I have seen over ten million of these in my store, so they must be popular with counterfeiters image
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I recently purchased my first one (it was in the 3 for a dollar bin).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Seems like it's been a while since a "Churchill crown" post popped up.

Littleton Coin Company's recent purchase of a hoard of 220,000 Eisenhower
    dollars got me wondering --- are there any massive accumulations of
    these hefty crowns out there, somewhere?

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I recently purchased my first one (it was in the 3 for a dollar bin). >>

Steve- that almost qualifies for a tiny "you suck". Almost.

Not a bad cherrypick, at any rate. I too have gotten one (an AU) in a bulk lot, though I cannot remember if it was for 33 cents or not. Something like that, probably.

I've never really hated them, though it's fun to poke fun at 'em, and at ajaan in general. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Littleton Coin Company's recent purchase of a hoard of 220,000 Eisenhower dollars got me wondering --- are there any massive accumulations of these hefty crowns out there, somewhere? >>

Dunno what you mean by "massive" (by definition, even a bag or two of these could be physically massive, considering their size), but I seem to recall somebody posting about a bag of them here on the forums, a few years back...?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Dunno what you mean by "massive" . . . . >>

Good point! LOL. A mere pocket full of these badboys would make it impossible to swim the English Channel.

I'm thinking tens or hundreds of thousands.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are British coins with Oliver Cromwell on them, who was a "commoner".

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't NEN offer a PF60-something a few years back?

And I seem to recall a few board members trying to find the pop top.

I actually like them. They are what they are, and I don't understand why they get razzed so much.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I don't understand why they get razzed so much >>

Only by the uninformed. image

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Churchill Crown

I think I posted this before...but it turns out you REALLY can buy anything on Amazon!

Cathy

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two or three of them somewhere,
    I recall one has a really cool tone to it, But
    I'll have to find it, hav'nt seen it in twenty
    years.

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭
    I, too, respect the man and what he did.

But the coin still stinks.

PULL!!
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aw, I like the specimen version.
    I mean he's not Marilyn Monroe but I think the coin shows his dignity, toughness and tenacity (well he was rather like a bulldog).
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up this gorgeous coin art in 2007 and then had PCGS slab it as MS64. Shortly thereafter my precious was taken from me into a hole.... Not a tidy, clean, dry hole, filled with fine furnishings, nor a warm cozy hole with soft chairs to sit down on: it was an Ajaan hole, and that means filth.. image

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone ever seen a Chinese counterfeit of a Churchill crown?

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone ever seen a Chinese counterfeit of a Churchill crown?

image >>

They gave-up trying to counterfeit it. Their copies all turned-out better than the originals image
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Has anyone ever seen a Chinese counterfeit of a Churchill crown?

image >>

They gave-up trying to counterfeit it. Their copies all turned-out better than the originals image >>

imageimageimage

Call me crazy, but I do like mine for the design and I really love the one you posted Roman.
  • Options
    A close companion of Churchill during the war said " Winston has 10 ideas a day. One of them is a good one. Nobody, including Winnie, knows which one it is."
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would they be better loved if they'd been struck in sterling? Or .500?

Were there any struck in silver? That would be pretty cool.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should'a made them in silver. But they didn't.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I purchased the PCGS Winnie from "Himself," Lord M. The raw one I just won on eBay over the weekend. I have another raw one somewhere or the other which I'll have to find. Personally I love the coin. It's a beautiful coin and love the picture of Churchill.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This man along with FDR saved the world !
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Say what you will -- I >>

WOW! That took guts.

I'm still looking for a MS67 cetrified example. >>

Ajaan - with a total PCGS population of 42 and none graded higher than MS-65, good luck my friend. I have one in 64 and looking for a 65 but I don't know if it will ever happen unless I make it myself. The total pop in 65 is 14 coins graded.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    This is one of my favourite big coin......