Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Have you ever heard of India ink?

This coin was BBed for Altered Surfaces. Although some numbers and letters can be clearly seen in this photo,on the top of the reverse,in hand it is much less evident, practically undetectable without the use of a strong loupe.The coin still looks BU at first glance, with nice colour and luster, I expected a 63RB on this.

Apparently it was caused by India ink(?), used by collectors in previous decades. I'm still not sure if these were written straight on to the coin, or onto its holder and from there they were transferred to the coin over the years. If anybody can enlighten me, as to what this India ink is, and what was the purpose of its use, I'd really appreciate it.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about the body bag, Dimitri. India ink is simply black, permanent ink used for many purposes. I've seen many coins/tokens which were inked straight onto the coin, as an identifyer for collectors. It could be worse--sometimes collectors engraved their coins.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Yeah, I use india ink to mark the location of my artifact finds. This can add as much as 2/3 to the value of some artifacts.
    Like this one.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind the bodybag Jester, but thanks for your kind words. This coin will remain with me instead of being resold, it's not as if I lost a fortune,it was an inexpensive one and a nice one to keep, I never had any of these before. Besides, I still get to keep its nice photo, despite the BB, not a total waste of money afterall.

But what is India ink exactly? A special ink, like the invisible ones used in spy movies? image If it's black, how is it that the numbers turned yellow?
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Probably because the ink's over a century old. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

<< <i>But what is India ink exactly? >>

Essentially it is fine soot which is almost pure carbon and made into ink.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Well Encyclopedia Britanica stated that India Ink is also called Chinese Ink, black pigment in the form of sticks that are moistened before use in drawing and lettering, or the fluid ink consisting of this pigment finely suspended in a liquid medium, such as water, and a glutinous binder. The sticks or cakes consist of specially prepared lampblack, or carbon black, mixed with a gum or glue and sometimes perfume. India ink was used in China and Egypt centuries before the Christian era and is still valued for the opacity and durability that make it one of the finest of inks.
    In India, the carbon black from which India ink is produced is obtained by burning bones, tar, pitch, and other substances.

They used to use the lamp carbon black residue from non-electric lamps in years past as well.

Unfortunately many years ago around the 1800's on into the early 1900's marking the coins with some kind of a attribution number or code was very popular. I think this usually was seen mostly in the museum collections, with codes so they could cross reference to the archeological finds and digs of the time. of course nowadays such things are frowned upon.

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    The number could be an accession number from a museum. Collectors also were known to mark their items.

I have several Conder tokens with numbers inked on them.
    This is a Warwickshire Birmingham Halfcrown token - DH1
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    If I'm not mistaken India ink has also been used to make tattoos.
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    I've also heard that museums use India ink to mark pieces in thier collections, including coins as well as artifacts.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great icon farthing. image

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    RickeRicke Posts: 677

I used to use india ink for pen and ink art - it has a nice quality to it, but I never thought it would fix to a metal coin... it must have sat and dried for weeks. I wonder if acetone would clear up the problem.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if acetone would clear up the problem. >>

It won't.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    RickeRicke Posts: 677

<< <i>It won't. >>

mr. know-it-all image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "Indian ink (or India ink in American English) is a simple black ink once widely used for writing and printing, and now more commonly used for drawing, especially when inking comics.

Early treatises on the arts refer to black carbon ink that was prepared by the ancient Chinese and Egyptians. The basis of the ink was a black carbon pigment in an aqueous adhesive or binding medium. Sometime before the 12th century, Eraclius, in his De Coloribus et Artibus Romanorum, presented a set of directions for making several types of carbon inks, including one similar to the Indian ink of China, made from the soot of burning resin or wood. Different types of wood will create different-colored inks. In an English volume on handwriting of 1581, Theophilus presented a recipe for a carbon ink:

To make Inke in haste.

In hast, for a shift when ye have a great neede,
    Take woll, or wollen to stand you in steede,
    Which burnt in the fyre, the powder beate small:
    With vinegar, or water make Inke withall.

As the recipe shows, no binder material is necessary: the carbon molecules are in colloidal suspension and form a waterproof layer after drying; often waterproof shellac is added though.

Indian ink replaced the previously widespread Iron-gall nut ink in the opening years of the 20th century.

Caution: Indian ink is usually not suitable for fountain pens: it will readily clog the pen. An exception to this is Pelikan Fount India, which does not contain shellac.

See also: pen and ink.

Indian ink can also be used for home made tattoos, by drawing on the preferred design and then stabbing over the ink with a sharp sewing pin.
    [edit]

History

The Chinese invented and perfected Indian ink. Originally designed for blacking the surfaces of raised stone-carved hieroglyphics, the ink was a mixture of soot from pine smoke and lamp oil mixed with the gelatin of donkey skin and musk. The ink invented by the Chinese philosopher, Tien-Lcheu (2697 B.C.), became common by the year 1200 B.C."
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, thank you Steve and everybody else, I feel like an expert on India ink now. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    It surely has a long history!
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Everything I every wanted to knowimage