Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1895 Specimen Halfpenny - - Re-imaged using angled glass

Christie's ~ Freeman - 10/23/84, lot 146

As Spinaker, and other lovers of Blue copper know, it's very hard to capture the magentas and blues on a copper canvas. This is better, but it still doesn't quite capture the 'brightness' of the blue.....

ANGLED GLASS
imageimage

ANGLED CAMERA
imageimage

The obverse has slightly more intense blue than the reverse. The actual intensity of the colors is somewhere between these two. The difficulty is picking up the colors against the highly reflective fields......there must be a balance somewhere, eh?

Cheers,

Mac

Comments

• Options
    Great pics!! What wonderful color!!!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Great giveaway coin!!! Enter me please.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Nice images. image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Still very nice images!! Now here comes the stupid question....what do you mean "angled glass"? what do you use for this?
    Thanks,
    Me
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

Not stupid at all......

With the light (OTT Light in this case) positioned as shown, the photo is taken with the camera pointed directly down on the coin, i.e., no distortion of the round coin.

This technique was mentioned on the Lightside image and the defraction of the light waves against the plate of clear glass helps to capture the toning on the coins surfaces. It works much better with toning on silver coins than copper, but it does tend to create a stronger dimensional cameoed effect of the devices especially against prooflike surfaces.

Now that I have learned a few more tips/tricks with Photoshop though, I believe that it's best to shoot elliptically (preferably a raw coin) and then stretch the short axis of the coin back to 1:1, and go from there.....but, the Angled technique does allow for better surface presentation from the standpoint of light/dark areas.
  • Options
    Gorgeous!! I've got to bite the bullet and buy a digicam.image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Interesting method, I really like the angled glass shot you took. You captured the color without distorting the details the way an angled camera shot can. Have you ever tried the glass method with a slabbed coin?
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome pics, Mac image

I image blue copper !!!

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Thanks Mac!! image
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Have you ever tried the glass method with a slabbed coin? >>

Yes, with varying results. The biggest problem it picking up too much glare from the light source(s) bouncing across the top clear plastic substrate. You can attempt to adjust the brightness-contrast ratios, but not always to good effect.

The other problem with slabs, moreso with NGC, is the coin is often tilted in the white rubber holder (which causes shadowing problems). You also have the inner white wall to contend with.....so, it's really highly variable from coin to coin.

Ahhhhh, the frustration!!!image
  • Options
    image Awesome coin Mac!! Great pics too.
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Very Nice Mac and a great photo, really picks the blue up. image