Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL down 108 sacks, year to year.

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Through 10 weeks, sacks have dropped from 778 to 670.

Sacks are game changers, wonder why the drop off. They are still allowed, are they not?

Comments

• Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Almost every team is using short drop, or shotgun, with quick West Coast-style patterns as their primary offense. That is a big drop off for one season, certainly, but overall not surprising.
    It doesn't hurt that RGIII missed so many games this year either. If he had played every start, the numbers would be closer.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What gregmo said. QBs are trained to release ball quicker and more linebackers drop back in pass coverage because most teams use spread and shotgun formations even on early downs.

Gruden had a good point also last Monday night~teams are learning that utilizing a QB who runs the ball is suicide with players bigger and faster than ever before. Collisions are more violent, too. It's simple physics. Just look at RGIII and Newton. These guys will never last at the NFL level playing with that kind of reckless abandon. Not only do they take more sacks but they expose themselves (and their teams' huge investments) to serious injury.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    I wasnt aware of the actual numbers. But just seems to be following the trend of less defense/ more offense.
    The fans "paying the bills" wanna see scores like 100-99. Cant get them numbers if guys are actually hitting
    each other. Just like blocked kicks/punts are almost a thing of the past, id say sacks/hurried passes are about
    to be put to rest.

Man, I miss Footballimage
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wasnt aware of the actual numbers. But just seems to be following the trend of less defense/ more offense.
    The fans "paying the bills" wanna see scores like 100-99. Cant get them numbers if guys are actually hitting
    each other. Just like blocked kicks/punts are almost a thing of the past, id say sacks/hurried passes are about
    to be put to rest.

Man, I miss Footballimage >>

Even with the rule changes (which I don't personally agree with in some cases, particularly with illegal contact) and the emphasis on offense and the passing game, the collisions on the field today are even more violent than they were 30 years ago, in many cases. And this is coming from someone who has been watching NFL football on a weekly basis since the mid 70s. You may not be able to take the shots today that you could 30 years ago, but players today are bigger, stronger and faster than they were 30 years ago and the results are stronger impacts. Jack Lambert would get run over today by an average-sized back in today's game.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.