Home Sports Talk
Options

Fantasy Football 2014

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK Fellas looking for everyones advice here,

I got the 7th pick overall, PPR League 12 teams

Im thinking that Charles, Mcoy, Forte, Peterson, Megatron, Manning will be gone by #7

So do I take Lacy if he is there at 7? Im still feeling the sting over drafting Martin last year so Im nervous about going after another 2nd year Back.

Im seriously considering taking Demaryous Thomas at #7 possibly Jimmy Graham. There has been talk of Graham going at #6 so in any scenario Im thinking I will have to decide between Lacy, Graham, Thomas or Manning.

Any input?

Comments

• Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    I woul go with Lacy if he's still available. After Charles, Shady, Forte, AP, and Lacy, there's a big
    drop off to the next tier of RB's. (Just my humble opinion) Those four in order I would take Lacy,
    Graham, Thomas and Manning. (As they are listed)

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    Additionally, I would not even give consideration to drafting Manning in round one.
    (No offense to Mr Manning...tongue in cheek)

• Options
    Lacy was my first thought but after getting completely skrewed by Martin last year Im really not trusting 2nd year backs anymore.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would take Lacy over Megatron or Graham. Lacy has been gone in top 5 in both drafts I've been in thus far. I'd take Megatron or D. Thomas at #7 if Lacy, AP, Charles and McCoy are all gone.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>I would take Lacy over Megatron or Graham. Lacy has been gone in top 5 in both drafts I've been in thus far. I'd take Megatron or D. Thomas at #7 if Lacy, AP, Charles and McCoy are all gone. >>

Tim I would grab Forte in a heartbeat if he was there at 7 but not a chance he makes it, I know these guys, I will have a decision between Lacy or Thomas. I know Lacy looks good in camp and the hype surrounding him is sky high but again, 2nd year unproven track record and his numbers might be inflated due to Rodgers being hurt last year.

Im seriously hoping Ellington might be there on the turnaround, that kid looks explosive.
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    I've got Lacy 3rd overall on my draft board, behind McCoy and Peterson. (Just a hunch). That's in a 12 team league that is NOT a PPR league.

Not discounting the Doug Martin debacle, but in your scenario, I'd be ecstatic to get Lacy at 7. I will admit that if he's there though, Graham is the "safer" pick.

I think taking Thomas at 7 is WAAAAYYYY to early. I'd rather have Lacy or Graham and then look for Bryant, Green, Nelson, or Marshall on the swing.

Good luck.

Shawn
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul-

I drafted 5th in my league and was more than pleased to nab EL. But then again, I drafted Trent Richardson mid-first last year and he plagued me the entire season. So I totally get your trepidation with second-year backs.

For what it's worth, however, I feel much better with Lacy this year. If he stays healthy in that high-octane O, 15 trips to the house is not out of the realm of possibility. If I were you at #7, I'd have his ass planted in the queue.
  • Options
    Lacy will be a beast this year in that offense. Martin played for the Yucs with a garbage QB so the deck was stacked against him. Forte is solid, too, but I like Lacy over Forte, as Forte does have a lot of miles on him, though he is still productive (if not injured).

Graham is ranked too high at No. 7, imo...I'd take D. Thomas or Megatron over him.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>I've got Lacy 3rd overall on my draft board, behind McCoy and Peterson. (Just a hunch). That's in a 12 team league that is NOT a PPR league.

Not discounting the Doug Martin debacle, but in your scenario, I'd be ecstatic to get Lacy at 7. I will admit that if he's there though, Graham is the "safer" pick.

I think taking Thomas at 7 is WAAAAYYYY to early. I'd rather have Lacy or Graham and then look for Bryant, Green, Nelson, or Marshall on the swing.

Good luck.

Shawn >>

I appreaciate all the input however I cant say I see where your coming from Shawn saying D Thomas being that early at # 7, keep in mind we are talking PPR league here and 90-100 catches with 12-1400 yards and 12-14 Tds is pretty solid.

You guys got me scrambling now thinking about Lacy........
  • Options
    It is a unanimous decision. We all vote for Eddie Lacy. Could you let us know the outcome please Paul?

• Options

<< <i>

I appreaciate all the input however I cant say I see where your coming from Shawn saying D Thomas being that early at # 7, keep in mind we are talking PPR league here and 90-100 catches with 12-1400 yards and 12-14 Tds is pretty solid.

You guys got me scrambling now thinking about Lacy........ >>

Yes, good point, PPR makes a huge difference. Saying he's way early at #7 wasn't exactly what I meant to type.

What I meant was, in my mind, the 5 runnings backs, C Johnson, and Graham should be the first 7 picks of the draft. I was convinced there was no way Manning would reproduce last years historic numbers, a decline of 10% or more seemed likely, and with so many other weapons (Julius Thomas, Welker, Ball out of the backfield, the addition of Sanders, etc.) that Demaryous was due for a small decrease too. Seeing Welker go down with a concussion certainly bumps Thomas up a spot or two on my draft board.

You can't go wrong with either. I'd still take Lacy and then shoot for the list of four receivers I named in my previous post.

Good luck!!!
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Lacy would be great, a huge difference between him and Doug Martin is the QB!!!!!!!!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

<< <i>It is a unanimous decision. We all vote for Eddie Lacy. Could you let us know the outcome please Paul? >>

I sure will, my draft is Saturday and I will post the details of how things went.

Thanks again fellas, I appreaciate the info!
  • Options
    Funny sometimes how drafts don't work out like you planned.........

I had my draft Sunday, our 20th year!! So most guys seem to know what they are doing, it's VERY competitive. I had the 7th pick too, ironic since it seemed easier to give you advice when I didn't know I'd have the same pick!! image

Peterson went 1st, McCoy went 2nd, then Lacy went 3rd!!! So much for that.

Then, things got strange. Manning went 4th, but then Brees went 5th!!!

At this point I was slobbering thinking I might get Jamaal Charles (who I had at 2 on my draft board) at number 7!!!!

It wasn't meant to be, as Charles went at 6. That left me with the decision to take Forte or Calvin.

I took Calvin at 7, Forte went 8th, Demaryous went 9th, and Jimmy Graham went 10th. Montee Ball and Dez Bryant rounded out the first round (12 team league also)

Our league is NOT a PPR league, so not sure my draft will help you plan for yours, only wanted to point out that you never know how it'll play out. I went in wanting a top 7 pick so I knew I'd get one of the five running backs, Calvin, or Graham. When it got to my pick, I still had my choice of three of them!!!

Good luck to you, let us know how it turns out.

Shawn
  • Options

<< <i>Funny sometimes how drafts don't work out like you planned.........

I had my draft Sunday, our 20th year!! So most guys seem to know what they are doing, it's VERY competitive. I had the 7th pick too, ironic since it seemed easier to give you advice when I didn't know I'd have the same pick!! image

Peterson went 1st, McCoy went 2nd, then Lacy went 3rd!!! So much for that.

Then, things got strange. Manning went 4th, but then Brees went 5th!!!

At this point I was slobbering thinking I might get Jamaal Charles (who I had at 2 on my draft board) at number 7!!!!

It wasn't meant to be, as Charles went at 6. That left me with the decision to take Forte or Calvin.

I took Calvin at 7, Forte went 8th, Demaryous went 9th, and Jimmy Graham went 10th. Montee Ball and Dez Bryant rounded out the first round (12 team league also)

Our league is NOT a PPR league, so not sure my draft will help you plan for yours, only wanted to point out that you never know how it'll play out. I went in wanting a top 7 pick so I knew I'd get one of the five running backs, Calvin, or Graham. When it got to my pick, I still had my choice of three of them!!!

Good luck to you, let us know how it turns out.

Shawn >>

You made a good decision I think, since its not a PPR league Forte wasnt as strong a pick as Megatron, even Charles value takes a hit without catches counting. And that is ironic you ended up with #7

Im getting excited! Draft is this Saturday image
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    If I were to pass on Eddie Lacy, and he has a very good season, I think that it would bother me more than passing on Demaryius Thomas if the same thing were to happen. The greatest trick to having a successful fantasy football draft is not to overthink your picks. I have seen people with absolutely no clue have a very successful draft by simply selecting the best available players. I would go with Eddie Lacy. Good luck Perk Dog. I actually have my fantasy football draft on Friday night. image
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options

<< <i>If I were to pass on Eddie Lacy, and he has a very good season, I think that it would bother me more than passing on Demaryius Thomas if the same thing were to happen. The greatest trick to having a successful fantasy football draft is not to overthink your picks. I have seen people with absolutely no clue have a very successful draft by simply selecting the best available players. I would go with Eddie Lacy. Good luck Perk Dog. I actually have my fantasy football draft on Friday night. image >>

Thank you! And best of luck to you too my friend image
  • Options
    I ended up with the sixth overall pick. The guy who had the fifth overall pick drafted Eddie Lacy. I ended up picking Demaryius Thomas. I followed with DeMarco Murray, Le'Veon Bell, Julius Thomas, Tom Brady, Cordarrelle Patterson and the Seahawks DST. I ended with Justin Tucker as my kicker. Let me know how you do tomorrow Perk Dog. Good luck.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options

<< <i>I ended up with the sixth overall pick. The guy who had the fifth overall pick drafted Eddie Lacy. I ended up picking Demaryius Thomas. I followed with DeMarco Murray, Le'Veon Bell, Julius Thomas, Tom Brady, Cordarrelle Patterson and the Seahawks DST. I ended with Justin Tucker as my kicker. Let me know how you do tomorrow Perk Dog. Good luck. >>

Nice job, I like it alot!

I will be sure to post up my squad as well, probably Sunday when Im nice and hungover image
  • Options
    Thanks. My reserves are Shonn Greene, Coby Fleener and Jordan Matthews. I drafted Danny Amendola and Matt Schaub as well, but I dropped them this morning for Golden Tate and Ryan Tannehill. I also drafted Derek Carr as a quarterback keeper. The league allows owners to keep one player per year drafted after round nine. Owners are allowed to keep no more than one player at each position, provided they do not ever drop or trade them. Anyway, have fun today. image
  • Options
    Well Lacy got taken at #6 so I ended up taking Thomas at 7

I couldnt believe I got Monte Ball with my 2nd pick at #18

My squad

Cutler
    Ball
    Ellington
    Thomas
    TY Hilton
    Pitta
    CJ Spiller ( Flex )
    Dawson
    Kuechley
    Von Miller
    Karlos Dansby

My reserves..Dalton, Knile Davis, Andre Williams, Bernard Pierce, Doug Baldwin, Jarrit Boykin
  • Options
    Nice team. I have been going crazy refining my roster. I dropped Shonn Greene and Jordan Matthews late yesterday, and I added Andre Williams and Jeremy Hill. I was obviously not happy with my draft results, but I am feeling a little bit better now. Good luck Perk Dog.
  • Options
    Perk, you have some nice RB's on your bench. Davis, Williams, and Pierce all have huge upsides in my humble opinion.
    My bench RB's in one laegue are Hyde, West and Dunbar, so i have upside too!

• Options
    Thanks guys!

Its always a big day after the draft refining the squad and remembering certain picks and forgetting about others due to heavy beer intake image

Overall Im happy with my team, I always like to get a stud QB early but had to pass on a few top tier guys because no way I was passing on Ball at 18 and I am a huge fan of Ellington so on the turn around I knew I had to grab him.

Cutler is a gunslinger and should have a decent season with the weapons he has at his disposal, My reserve RBs Im really happy about.

Best of luck to you fellas as well it should be fun image
  • Options
    It looks like the rookie quarterback keeper that I drafted will be getting his chance. I hope that he has a long and successful career, but even more importantly, I hope that he gets his first win against the New York Jets this Sunday. I can't wait.
  • Options
    Perk, I'm interested who you passed on??
  • Options

<< <i>Perk, I'm interested who you passed on?? >>

This is how it went....

#1 McCoy, #2 Charles, #3 Megatron, #4 Peterson, #5 Forte, #6 Lacy

I grabbed Demaryous Thomas at # 7

Im still just wondering how I got Monte Ball with my second pick at #18 overall! Most Fantasy sites have him in the top 8 for backs, my favorite pick was Ellington with my 3rd round pick image

• Options
    Eddie Lacy already hurt, and out of nowhere my prized 3rd round pick Ellington comes up with some BS injury image
  • Options
    Hang in there Perk Dog. It's a long season.
  • Options
    I should have known something was up when Jonathan Dwyer was being picked up like he was second coming of AP today, LOL!

• Options
    When Lacy slammed into Kam Chancellor, I cringed.

Sure enough.
  • Options

<< <i>I should have known something was up when Jonathan Dwyer was being picked up like he was second coming of AP today, LOL! >>

I been down the Jonathan Dwyer road before, he cant handle a feature back role and will fail miserably while filling in.

Eh the Cards have a Bye week 4 so worst case scenario I get him back week 5, I got Ball and CJ Spiller and Bernard Pierce so I will be "OK" ( I hope )
  • Options

<< <i>Hang in there Perk Dog. It's a long season. >>

Thank you my friend image
  • Options

<< <i>When Lacy slammed into Kam Chancellor, I cringed.

Sure enough. >>

And I thought NFL was for National Flag League these days...

Paul, haven't you had these kind of injuries crop up in past years, too? Guys are going to start thinking of being on your fantasy team as being on cover of Madden, LOL...

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>When Lacy slammed into Kam Chancellor, I cringed.

Sure enough. >>

And I thought NFL was for National Flag League these days...

Paul, haven't you had these kind of injuries crop up in past years, too? Guys are going to start thinking of being on your fantasy team as being on cover of Madden, LOL... >>

I'm the poster child for fantasy squads getting lit up by the injury bug, I'm actually worse than Madden covers. Doug Martin, Aaron Rodgers, most recently, one year I had 3 weeks in a row of grabbing the #1 WR on the Rams and each week was a season ending injury..
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    I'm no fantasy guy, but when drafting do you guys look at the player's schedule for the year to see if they play multiple teams with above average defenses?
  • Options

<< <i>I'm no fantasy guy, but when drafting do you guys look at the player's schedule for the year to see if they play multiple teams with above average defenses? >>

Personally I dont spend a whole lot of time looking at schedules outside of my first Round pick if Im going in the RB direction.

A Top RB is a Top RB and if its a toss up between a few guys and one is playing Seattle twice then it might make me look at the other guys more and probably make the decision on that.
  • Options
    1-0. image
  • Options

<< <i>1-0. image >>

Good for you buddy! I lost image

But its a long season, with Ray Rice being released I potentially have a starting RB in Bernard Pierce but as luck has it Forsett looks to be the stronger candidate
  • Options
    For those wondering, Megatron is back at 100%, lol..

• Options

<< <i>For those wondering, Megatron is back at 100%, lol.. >>

At this point, I have no regrets for drafting Calvin in both my home league, and our CU league.

• Options
    Interesting Mach up for me today my opponent has Matt Ryan and I have Andy Dalton going and Cincy is playing Atlanta today
  • Options
    Ofcourse AJ Green goes down Dalton's #1 but that's how I roll!
  • Options
    Tom Brady needs to score more touchdowns.
  • Options
    I am currently in first place in my division with a 2-1 record. With the Denver Broncos on a bye this week, I needed to find a replacement for Julius Thomas. I settled for Larry Donnell. image
  • Options
    I had Eli riding the pine last night. But hey, it's all good. It'll be a distant memory when Eddie Lacy racks up 1.7 points for me this Sunday.

Remember, it's okay if your squad starts slow. Sometimes in life you start slow. It's finishing fast that matters.

• Options
    I've got Lacy too. Let's hope he has a breakout game against da Bears.

• Options
    I need Tom Brady to have a huge game tomorrow night. More than one touchdown would be nice.
  • Options
    What a disaster.
  • Options
    I would offer Brady in a trade....or just drop him. I had the NE D going last night.
    Needless to say, I will drop them.