Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

$64,000 1972 Topps Football Mystery Question?

After actively collecting the 1972 Topps Football since I was 8 years old.

Ive just recently noticed the set is strangely missing some players that were issued the years before (1970, 1971 and then 1973 on) But not in the 72 Set.
Can anybody solve this mystery? So far the thought that the Bigger 351 card set lost room because of all the Pro-Action Cards and or All-Pro cards as well as the Leader cards and the Playoff cards. Which were 1st issued here in the 72 set.

Missing Players that have been brought to my attention up to this point.

#1 LeRoy Jordan (Dallas Cowboys)
#2 Mel Renfro (Dallas Cowboys)
These were both very prominate players on that 71 Cowboy Championship Team. Why they were not issued in the 72 set is the Question.

Also brought to my attention as missing in action are:

#3 Jerry Smith (Redskins)
#4 Chris Hanburger (Redskins)

Was it just the size and layout of the set? There are Definately more "No Name" common players that could have been omitted.

The 70 and 71 set only had 263 cards, but still managed to include these cards. Seems very Strange.

Could it have been a dispute such as the Earl Campbell only being issued in the 79 set?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    I believe that the Earl campbell issue was that he was not being comp'ed enough so he sued to own the rights to his picture, thus topps never had his image on any cards except the 4 in the 1979 set

1979 NFLPA PENNANT EARL CAMPBELL STICKERS
    3 1979 TOPPS RUSHING LEADERS W.PAYTON/E.CAMPBELL
    301 1979 TOPPS HOUSTON OILERS TEAM LEADERS
    331 1979 TOPPS EARL CAMPBELL RECORD BREAKER
    390 1979 TOPPS EARL CAMPBELL

succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    There are other examples in 70's Football of guys having some sort of problem with Topps and disappearing from sets before their careers were over (Namath and Jurgensen, most notably.)

From the '72 set, taking a quick, cursory look...it's missing HOFers John Mackey and Don Maynard. Each guy was in sets before and after this one year.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I don't think the card companies in those days really cared who was in the set outside of the REALLY big name guys...My guess is the answer is probably something simple...Like they included the guys they had recent or clear photos of...

I've never heard of any specific reason for guys not being in sets, other than the aforementioned Earl Campbell issue which was widely known..

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    stan musial was missing for years in the 1950's sets.

i think the first topps maury wills card was 1967.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i think the first topps maury wills card was 1967. >>

That is correct, and when the 1975 Topps baseball set commemorated all the MVP's from 1951 to 1974 in a subset, they had to make a "fake" 1962 card for Maury Wills because he didn't have one until 1967 like the czar mentioned.
  • Options
    Maury was angry at Topps because he felt they had disrespected him by not thinking he was going to make the Dodgers, so he refused to sign with them for years.

I just have a hard time believing Topps omitted all of the guys mentioned for any reason other than so much of the set being taken up by ancillary cards. Maynard, Mackey, Renfro, Smith and Hanburger were all multi time All Pros and Pro Bowlers and all had appeared in previous sets, most of which were of a similar abbreviated size.

In Dallas' case, as brd mentioned, they were the defending world champions, a particularly star-laden and outstanding team. (And just to confirm what most people here already know, I'm a Redskins guy and don't go around handing out compliments to the Cowboys unless they're well earned. I think that era's team are underrated, and arguably the best ones the franchise ever fielded.)

Still...it's hard to believe a guy like Renfro, working a string of 8 straight AP and Pro Bowl selections, would be bumped for Walt Garrison.
  • Options
    I love Walt Garrison! I would much rather have the garrison card than Renfro. Now the Mike Clark Kicker card. Thats a different story.
    I also miss the Leroy Jordan Card More than the Renfro as well.

GDM67
    If your darn "Over the Hill Gang" hadn't got in the way, I STRONGLY feel that Cowboy Team would have beat that Undefeated Dolphin team a second Time. Hats off to that Redskin Team, Bur they didn't match up with that Dolhin team as well.
  • Options
    Ah, yes. The mental image of Charley Taylor streaking down that wet sideline toward the end zone brings a smile to my face. Because I watched it as it happened, I take more personal satisfaction from the January '83 NFC title game, but the 26-3 one you refer to is also a Redskin legend.

Mike Clark! I should have looked at my file of images from that set to pick the least likely Cowboy. A thousand pardons for inadvertently dissing Mr. Pinch Between The Cheek & Gum.

Back when I used to collect raw cards, I had a few Renfros and I always regretted his absence from the '72, which was about my favorite set, even then.