Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

56 Topps Baseball Thread???

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Hi and welcome to the boards.

You might want to speak to Neil Downey. he is involved with this set.

I prefer the 55, so that is the set I have done.

I'm sure a few other of the 56 guys will show up.

I think he has been posting on the buy sell forum regarding them.

Good luck to you.

steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    The Mick is back in 56 with Topps! A very beautiful card. My favorite in the set however is the Clemente. Does anyone know what is said in the outfield?
    I used to think it said "Esso"
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    I completed a set in psa 8 or better about a year ago but have done nothing to upgrade it since and it is now ranked 8th at 8.03. The last card and I believe the toughest card was the Pirates Team card.

Iwould consider the 1956 set slightly easier to put together in psa 8 or better than 1957 and measurably easier than the 1955 Topps set in psa 8.

The undoubted King of 56s is the Rabbi who has a blistering 9.01 set rating--one of the great sets on the registry.

Jim
  • Options
    Rip - The sign was for Esquire Boot Polish. It was at Ebbetts Field.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    56 is one of my favorite sets. I built it to 80% in 5 months with conservative bidding before I sold out . There is a lot of product and you will never go any stretch not seeing cards to bid on. The toughest cards in 8 or better are mitchell , pless, pirates, orioles , noren, and johnson. they do come up somewhat regularly but there are so many people building the set that they go for very high prices. If you are building in 7 , you will get these at great values compared to the 8's. I think you will find that you will be able to pick up some 8's as well . you can lowball and I am sure you will pick some up in the 28-33 range which compared to the same card in 7 for 15 is agreat deal , imo. have fun and happy new year
  • Options
    Hi Guys, I am still working on my PSA graded 1956 Topps set. I am now only 11 cards shy of having all of them PSA 7 or better. My set is 100% complete as is my Master set. My budget is mostly limited these days since I also collect PSA graded 1954 Red Man and 1953 Topps cards when funds allow. I have been finding upgrades for my 1956 Topps PSA 6s for 2 years now. I happen to have some tough PSA 6s and PSA 7s for sale or trade if anyone else is working on this set and cares to PM me. I can also be reached at nbdowney@msn.com - Neil
  • Options
    Neil, I have 3 or 4 of the '56 Topps cards in PSA 7 that you are looking for to complete your set. I'll work you a good deal on them if your interested. PM or email me at mjmurphy31@aol.com
    "A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish" - Chevy Chase

"I have a split personality, and he is a regular SOB"
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Rip - The sign was for Esquire Boot Polish. It was at Ebbetts Field. >>

Thanks. I've always wondered that too. That was one of the first vintage cards I bought back as a teenager in about '86 or so. I thought it was the most wonderful card on earth. Wound up grading a disappointing 6 years later and was unceremoniously dumped a couple of years after that when I was a broke student teacher. But I still think the '56 Clemente is one of the coolest cards ever.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Hi Guys, Here is a list of the PSA 7 1956 Topps cards that I am either looking to upgrade from a PSA 6 or replace with a high grade PSA 7 card. Let me know if any of you have any. Neil

Qty. Player's Name No. Back
    1 Warren Giles 2 White
    2 Ted Williams 5 White
    3 Hank Aaron 31 White
    4 Sandy Koufax 79 White
    5 Eddie Mathews 107 Gray
    6 Willie Mays 130 Gray
    7 Ray Narleski 133 Gray
    8 Mickey Mantle 135 Gray
    9 Dave Pope 154 Gray
    10 White Sox Team 188 Gray
    11 Bob Friend 221 Gray
    12 Hershell Freeman 242 Gray
    13 Tom Gorman 246 Gray
    14 Yankees Team 251 Gray
    15 Pee Wee Reese 260 Gray
    16 George Zuverink 276 Gray
    17 Jim Gilliam 280 Gray
    18 Checklist 1/3 - Gray
    19 Checklist 2/4 - Gray
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    ttt, I think we should keep this at the top for a few days more... Interesting reading and thanks for the info. Got any boot polish lying around image
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    56 topps was my first set venture...ive spent ALOT more time on my 57 set though...not sure why but i feel more like a 57 collector then a 56.....ive not bought a 56 topps card in over a year and a half....BUT...id love to get a thread going.
  • Options
    Start one up - I'll be part of it. We could try to help each other out by posting want/trade/sell lists. - Neil
  • Options
    Hi 56 ers. I collect W Senators in PSA 6, 7, & 8. I need the following; #4GB; #75 GB; #128WB; #146WB; #157WB; #159WB; #164WB. Thanks for any help. Tony afrederickson@Satx.rr.com
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • Options
    Hi Guys, I just started an "official" 1956 Topps thread. I hope that you post and enjoy the posts from others. Neil
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Why didn't this become the official thread????
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    Lostdart,

My thoughts exactly--I anoint this the official thread--the other one has too many rules about it.

Dav
  • Options
    just p/u a raw Yankees team card listed "EX+" off the bay...i'll take my chances for $47! One of our fellow board members is listing his 56's right now and must have been happy about round 1. Most of his cards went for near or over SMR but I only won his PSA 7 Kaline. I should have went "all in" for the PSA 7 Feller but lost it to a snipe. It seems like you never find a bargin for 56's of HOF'ers or key cards lately. Lot's of people are putting together this set right now.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>just p/u a raw Yankees team card listed "EX+" off the bay...i'll take my chances for $47! One of our fellow board members is listing his 56's right now and must have been happy about round 1. Most of his cards went for near or over SMR but I only won his PSA 7 Kaline. I should have went "all in" for the PSA 7 Feller but lost it to a snipe. It seems like you never find a bargin for 56's of HOF'ers or key cards lately. Lot's of people are putting together this set right now. >>

I started it up about 3 years ago..finished about a year or so ago...i still have over 80 raw to grade though....and quite a few GAI/SGC to crossover. Its a great set!!! And quite a few people were putting it together 3 years ago!!

Loth
  • Options
    This is probably one of the more difficult vintage sets to crack the top 20. I looked and there are 14 sets(!) with set ratings of 8.0 or better and another 6 just below this.

A testimony to the popularity of this great set and also perhaps indicative that a greater percentage of cards grade 8 than in other mid-mate 50s sets.

I will check when I get the time.

Jim
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    JIm

I noticed that with the 57 set as well. but not the 58.

I wonder if the low number of cards within the set has anything to do with that?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Steve,

I think that partially explains it--will take a look at the percentages at halftime of fb game--may be interesting.

Jim
  • Options
    An analysis of the 1950s Topps sets shows a substantial difference in the percentage of cards graded psa 8 or better. The data shows that 1956 is the first year of a significant step up in the percentages of cards graded psa 8 or better. This corre;lates with my own experience--it is challenging but not real real difficult to put psa 8 sets together 1956 and later but 1955 and before it is a different ballgame--much much tougher. The data follows:

Percentage of all cards graded PSA 8(NQ) and Higher:

1952T 15.6%
    1953T 18.7%
    1954T 23.8%
    1955T 21.2%
    1956T 30.7%
    1957T 33.4%
    1958T 31.3%
    1959T 40.8%

Jim
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found this thread, and thought it would be interesting to update Jim's numbers 2 1/2+ years ahead:

Percentage of all cards graded PSA 8(NQ) and Higher:

January 2006.........September 2008
    1952T 15.6%...................12.6%
    1953T 18.7%...................15.9%
    1954T 23.8%...................20.9%
    1955T 21.2%...................18.7%
    1956T 30.7%...................27.8%
    1957T 33.4%...................31.7%
    1958T 31.3%...................29.6%
    1959T 40.8%...................38.0%