Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

My first posting; Dave Cryer aka VMFA_VET

Hi,

I have been following this forum for some time and wanted to belatedly introduce myself and say hi. Some background.

I am one of five brothers from Philadelphia who were active card collectors starting with my older brothers in the 1930's. I got my start in the very late 40's. My real turn-on came in the early 950's when one of our neighbors, who gave away cards and told wonderful baseball stories, in particular about his grandfather, got me really into card collecting...he was Connie Mack III. We loved going to as many Phillies games as possible and I felt like I personally knew all of the 'Wiz-kids.' Upon completing high school in the early 60's I put my cards away. In the early 1970's my brothers and I were sorting out everything at my mother's, who was moving into an apartment (bless her, she never through away a thing). Well, to make a long story not as long, I got all the Topps in several footlockers. In the mid-70's my boys started collecting and I got back into it but never opened the footlockers. Then in 1997 I retired; with the children all gone, we moved to a rural town on the Chesapeake Bay in Virgina. A few years ago I finally open the footlockers and started sorting everything. I currently have over 40 raw sets of Topps cards in varying condition that my brother's and I collected as children. I started sending some to PSA but quickly found I was in way over my head and was paying for many PSA 2's, 3's and even a few, dare I say, 1's. So, that brings me to the last 18 months. I have decided to build sets using other peoples expertise while I try to develop my own. I am just now getting ready to start submitting raw cards again to PSA.

I want to thank everyone on the boards who have, vicariously, taught me much. While I have never sold a card I will, once my sets get established, start selling what should be numerous backup sets. Oh, a couple of people have asked me about the VMFA name; I was a Marine pilot in the 60's and VMFA was our squadron designation for the type of planes we flew.

Finally, I also wanted to thank soooo many people for sooo many nice things that have been said and help freely given but realized that would over double the size of this. All of you are the greatest and THANK YOU!, THANK YOU!, THANK YOU! for making my new hobby an obsessive joy.

Dave C.

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Welcome, Dave, glad to meet you - and thank you for such a fine story.

My father lived next to a scount who worked for Connie Mack - so I hear some stories from him, too. You have a mighty fine collection.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A big welcome Dave. I'm glad to see you post and thanks for sharing your background. Congrats on building up your 1969 set so quickly. As you've probably seen, there are several of the 1969 collectors regularly posting about the set on this forum.

Are you attending the National this year? If so, hopefully we'll see you at the various set registry gatherings.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Welcome Dave.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Dave,

Welcome to the boards and congratulations on the sets you have built, particularly your #1 1969 set. Dave Read says you're a good guy so that's good enough for me.

Michael
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    So much for that stealth cover Dave image. As Bruce Willis said, "Welcome to the party, pal!"image
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Dave,

Thank you for coming on and sharing some terrific stories. Also, congratulations for your outstanding 1969 Topps Baseball Set (among others). Please feel free to participate more. The '69 registry members are probably the most active group on this board.

Dan Markel
  • Options
    Welcome Dave image

Chris
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    Welcome Dave!

I'm glad to see you finally post here.

JEB.
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    Hi Dave,
    Thanks for the well written introduction! I feel like I know you!
    Jim
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Dave,

Even though your story included no football cards... I will not hold that against you. Since you live on the Chesapeake Bay you must be a good guy. I grew up in the VA Beach area and I still enjoy telling people that I've shopped at a Piggly Wiggly image

Welcome!

Mike
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Welcome to the nuthouse!
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Dave,

And welcome to baseball cards' version of Area 51 - as a former military pilot you are probably aware that this forum doesn't really exist.

BOTR
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome and thanks for the introduction story. image
  • Options
    Hey Dave glad to have you aboard! Congrats on that very impressive 659 Set you have built and keep up grading.... Jeff
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    Welcome Dave!! The more the merrier!! image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    joker73joker73 Posts: 497
    And a die-hard Phils fan to boot - welcome image.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Welcome to the boards! You have one heck of a collection !!!
  • Options
    welcome....image
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    That was quite an introduction! Welcome aboard Dave!!!

Great collection that you're building!

Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    nice to see you here Dave and good luck with your incredible collection!.
    feel free to email if i can be of assistance.
    pc32
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    Dave--
    A big welcome from the soon-to-be #2 in the 1969 Topps Registry. Maybe that's #3 when Bob Cacamese (gaspipe26) records his set.

You will definitly enjoy the frendliness of the 69T Group.

See you on Ebay---- Ron Hobbs, Tallahassee, Fla.
    TWINRON
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard Dave from another 69er. This board has some great discussion on this set along with stats and submission results.

Dave S.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Dave - great story, great hobby....
    Looking forward to more of your "war" stories.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    speederspeeder Posts: 819
    hi dave,

welcome to the forum.

a super introductory story !

looking forward to seeing more threads from you.

take care, your friend, lee
  • Options
    I don't post much but that intro is WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT.

Welcome, Dave! And thank YOU for that quick mythical journey you just gave me.

cheers,
    minibeers
    1966T, 1971T, 1972T raw and in 8s
    1963T Dodgers in 8s
    Pre-war Brooklyn 5s or higher
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Dave ...........Welcome to Boards ! It's nice to know a little about the "Man on a Mission " thats leaving a path of destrution in climbing to the topp of the Set Registries ! Since I mainly collect 1964 Topps , I am really impressed with your #1 set , and I have no doubt that by the time you are finished , you will have the Finest set of all time !..........Dave "Robby' Robinson
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    Welcome!
  • Options

Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Dave-
    Welcome to the boards. It has added so much to my enjoyment of the hobby and it looks like it will do the same for you.

BTW - I will be going to Marine OCS after I graduate this fall on an NFO contract- small world.

-Jeff
  • Options
    Dave,

Thanks for sharing your story. I am particularly glad to see what you did with your 66' set.
    Welcome also to the 69' group. You may not find a better bunch of collectors than those assembled. I have learned some fascinating stuff from this group as well over the years about the set.
    Best of luck as you accumulate your overall collection. What you have now is already very impressive. Hope to see you as a frequent contributor here.
    Warm regards,
    RayBShotz
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Welcome Dave! It is nice to hear the background and experiences of fellow collectors. Also, great job on your 1969 Topps set. The 1969 set registry members are in fact one of the most active on these boards and share a wealth of information and expertise.

Sincerely,

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Options
    grilloj39grilloj39 Posts: 370 ✭✭
    Dave...welcome. Truly fascinating story, I wholeheartedly agree about the obsession part of card collecting and grading. There are several active duty and ex-military people on this board. I retired in 2002 after spending most of my time overseas, including Kuwait and Southern Iraq in the first gulf war.

One of my most fascinating collectibles that I will cherish is a beautiful lithograph by Ted Wilbur of Chuck Yeager in a P-51 Mustang during WWII. I had the pleasure of meeting Gen. Yeager and he graciously signed my lithograph. He is famous for setting a lot of aviation records and doing Pennzoil commercials, but some do not realize he was a superb fighter pilot in WWII as well.

It's great to have someone like yourself on this board to share experiences with from time to time.

John
    Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
    e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com
  • Options
    AknotAknot Posts: 1,196 ✭✭
    Man an ex-Marine and a Yankees fan.........cant get any worse then that. Well I guess ex-Navy or Air Force and a Yankees fan.... image

From a former ARMY man, welcome.
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for the great welcome.
    Dave C.