Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Mastro: The king of hyperbole

I love reading Mastro auction descriptions almost as much as looking at the pictures. I can't decide which are more colorful image. These guys put any eBay seller to shame. Some of my favorites from the current auction:

The reverse's advertisement marks the card's long-ago embarkation into the world as a Sweet Caporal promotional giveaway, but its subsequent peregrinations have carried the keepsake through dimensions about which we can only speculate.

At the same time the observer ponders the unknown Mint-condition prospects, the pack exercises its siren's-song effect upon the eyes, and the result is pure ecstasy.

This is a paragon artifact from a prized issue, in unimprovable and perfect, Mint condition.

Ever had daydreams about raiding the back rooms of Canadian candy stores, looking for forgotten boxes of the very tough-to-find baseball cards distributed only in that dominion?

And I'm only through the first 100 lots image

Joe
No such details will spoil my plans...

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Bowers and Marena can sling it too with their coin catologs.

edited for emotion image
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

<< <i>Ever had daydreams about raiding the back rooms of Canadian candy stores, looking for forgotten boxes of the very tough-to-find baseball cards distributed only in that dominion? >>

Nope....just dreams about raiding their cash registers.
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    It reminds me of someone trying to use all those SAT vocabulary drills we did back in high school.
    Pretty much over the top and comical in my book, as are the "little white innocent oversights" about certain card populations.
    Here's another classic:

I guess they don't recognize the 4 nicer ones that reside in SGC holders, some recently selling in high profile auctions

edited to add: and they even manage to claim that PSA is careless, ignorant and psychotic.

wow-sa image
  • Options

Murcer-

Didnt you talke about this card an auction or two ago? I though it sold then?
  • Options
    Wow...it makes no sense to me why they would critique PSA like that....especially when so many of the other cards in the auction are graded by PSA. Not sure how many people will actually read the description (with so many quality lots offered).....but why question the ability of PSA graders just to sell one measly lot.

Here is a quote from the description:

<< <i>So few of these Connie Mack's All-Stars circulate in the industry that PSA likely isn't aware that the cards came off the production line with a miniscule wrinkle between the tip of the Babe's bat and the card's top edge (a mere 3/32" away). Overemphasis of this natural aspect, in terms of grade assignment, is careless or ignorant at best, and psychotic at worst. >>

Just my thoughts.
  • Options
    No.
    they did the same thing with a Gehrig.
    It sold for about 2k (about double)morre than it's worth in my estimation.
  • Options
    I dunno......
    .........I usually get PSA 5's on my cards with wrinkles or creases.
    Perhaps the Mastro gang is used to getting 8's on cards with wrinkles, or getting some amount of favoritism out of the grading room. image
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    The tilt cut on that Ruth makes its centering that of a PSA 6. It looks properly graded to me.
  • Options
    V-man,
    There has been debate on the intended L/R centering on this card, most are similar, but without the tilt you pointed out. If the centering is more to the right, The Babe's right toe would be cut off , which would undoubtably make for another headliner lot with lots of flowery gobby-gook unto itself image
  • Options
    just think, in the next mastro auction maybe pro graded cards will find their way in
  • Options

<< <i>just think, in the next mastro auction maybe pro graded cards will find their way in >>

I think that's very unlikely.
    Mastro has quality material through and through, and has had unmatched auction offerings for years, which is why I don't get the "shinola" ,"oversights" and "honest mistakes".
  • Options
    ok, but the way they bashed psa on the card leads me to beleive that a bash to get more money for a card is no different than taking a 6 and slabbing it a 9 in a pro...a 6 is a 6 period!
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭

<< <i>ok, but the way they bashed psa on the card leads me to beleive that a bash to get more money for a card is no different than taking a 6 and slabbing it a 9 in a pro...a 6 is a 6 period! >>

Bearsnum34,

I think you have brought up a good point. Opinions and exaggerations are a huge turn off to me in auction descriptions. Years ago, in a college technical writing course, I learned not to do this. Only state the facts and provide the best information available.

So many ebay sellers do this same thing. Some of my favorites include:

"PSA 8+++ should be a PSA 9"

"This card would make an excellent addition to any collection"

"SGC 88 - PSA 9?"

If anyone actually reads these opinions and places a bid because of them, they are foolish.

Let the grading stand on its own. That's the whole idea behind third party grading, isn't it?

JEB.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    It makes sense that they might disagree with a few grades. Everybody does. To me that is better than making it seem every card is high end for the grade.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    34 packs out of 36 offerred.
    translation:the two packs opened
    absolutely blew.
    why the other 2 packs are missing

and also
    their 1966 3rd series cello box has brock showing on a pack.
    last i looked he's been a 2nd series #125 for 38 years
    3rd series?!?
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    Never mind that.

AlanAllen, please quote us more of those Robert Frost-like passages.

Those were pretty funny. Pushing pieces of cardboard to the limit with those poetic verses is borderline comical!
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I posted those quotes for pure entertainment, not to bash Mastro. I didn't intend to start an anti-Mastro thread. I really do enjoy reading their descriptions, and I don't think they are hucksters because they actually have the goods to back up their flowery language. Anyhoo, here's the Grand Finale for interchanges, the entire description of the 1952 Topps wax box:

One day, years before many collectors were born and at a time when others of us were just children, our consignor's father came home from work with a gift. "Here, Sport, see what you think of these," Dad said to his son, as he handed over a small package. The boy, aware that an unexpected present from his father usually originated at the local confectionery wholesaler, lit up at the sight of the box, and positively beamed as his taste buds anticipated its contents. His fingers fumbled a bit, too, since Dad passed along a couple of gumdrops, and a single, large pack that obviously contained some kind of trading cards, at the same time the box was conveyed. With genuine enthusiasm, the young man exclaimed, "Thanks, Dad," as he ran off to examine the new things.

The green-and-red box felt substantial—obviously, it held more than a few additional gumdrops or a small number of jawbreakers—so a more dramatic treat was clearly in store. A special gift deserves a private, uninterrupted setting, and, in that spirit, the boy gravitated toward his room. He settled on the bed and popped in a gumdrop before looking down at the box's lid. And this is what he saw:

MR. RETAILER -

Topps Bubble Gum with Giant Baseball Picture Cards bring
    you, for the very first time, full-color photographs of famous
    Big Leaguers in the NEW BIG SIZE. Each card includes
    the player's autograph, biography and official, lifetime
    statistical record.

Never offered before, this giant-size, prize collection will
    be cherished through the years by every lover of the great
    American pastime.

Every kid will want the complete set!

INSIST ON TOPPS GIANT-SIZE BASEBALL CARDS!

The boy didn't know at the time that this box, with the advertisement on its lid announcing its maker's marketing intentions and barely concealing the company's pride, was given directly to his father by a Topps executive. He had no concept of the earnestness with which the manufacturer proclaimed a future commitment to its NEW BIG SIZE cards. And he certainly had no idea that Mickey Mantle's first Topps card (perhaps, even more than one of them!) could be inside, or that the 24-Count carton, held in his youthful grip, would become more sought-after than a wheelbarrow full of nickels. But, circumstances sometimes conspire to provide a favorable outcome, and that's exactly what happened on this boy's long-ago afternoon.

Having taken the edge off his sweet tooth with the gumdrop, faded by now to pellet-size on his tongue, the boy could concentrate for a moment on the loose pack. He tore open the wrapper, and his eyes immediately widened at the stick of gum inside. To his perspective the size of a German tank's tread, it was definitely something to be dealt with later! Five huge, color cards, too - just as the box top promised. Let's see...Posedel, Abrams, Sleater, Castiglione and...DeMaestri. Aren't there any good guys in these new cards?

"Dinner!" "Coming, Mom!" The three-word dialogue marked the conclusion of the boy's solitary interlude with his treasures. Later that evening, as his son played outside, Dad saw the box sitting beside the young man's nightstand. He also noted the opened pack, as well as the cellophane wrappers which, earlier, had been rapidly stripped of the gumdrops inside. Let's put this away for now. No need to use 'em up all at once. And so the box, its wonders soon forgotten and still-unexplored, commenced what would become a nearly 50-year hibernation.

A box can remain still, but a world continues to turn. The boy became a man. Memories, like most features of human experience, are cyclical. In search of those recollections, and to view a life's past pleasures, the man rediscovered the box. Thus, the phenomenal relic emerges at this time to the light of a new day—into very different surroundings.

Now, pulses race in boys and men of every age, upon viewing the unmistakable sight of the 1952 Topps Baseball box. Would any of them handle it casually, or toss it onto the bed? No way! With care befitting its status, each of its twenty-four 5¢ packs has been graded by Global Authentication and placed in that company's innovative, protective encapsulation. Each one is original and undisturbed, and each one holds a potential wealth of Mantles and Robinsons, Mathews and Campanellas. We're sure that some of those "good guys" from the issue's 5th Series, and 6th Series "high numbers," are indeed inside these emotionally stirring, factory-fresh packages.

The packs' grades include: Graded GAI NM 7: 1 pack; GAI EX-MT 6: 18 packs; GAI EX+ 5.5: 5 packs.

We can't forget the box itself. The 2-piece, 8" x 5-5/8" x 1-1/2" container is an advertising display artifact of overall Near Mint quality. A couple of small staple holes can be seen on the lid (not affecting Topps' heartfelt sales pitch) and a few inconsequential marks appear on the bottom, but, essentially, it looks just like it did the day Dad brought it home.

This offering contains one of the most significant hobby "finds" within recent memory, and its meaning is clear to any collector who's ever hungered for the indescribably energizing sensation of seeing '52 Topps high numbers in their completely original, unopened state. Here, truly, is the ultimate item. Even in a hobby that's given more pleasure, to more people, than just about any other avocation, it simply doesn't get any better than this.

Oh...the one pack that the boy did open? It's here, too. The winning bidder will part the torn wrapper, share the feeling of first espying five brand-new cards behind that big stick of gum, and involuntarily exult that two of them are "high numbers." Someone will blissfully enjoy that part of the experience. We only hope he doesn't try to chew the gum.

No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    oy veh image
  • Options
    this is the SGC 8:
    My friend Randy has the SGC 8.5, the SGC 7.5 (originally graded at Ft. W by Peter Lalos) was actually crossed to a Beckett 7.5 and auctioned by SCP Feb. 20, 2003 for 5,423.40.
    just to "set the record straight"

edited to add:
    .....and I would take my centered 6 any day of the week.
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    The Mastro catalog reads a lot like the J. Peterman catalog. I keep expecting to find a sherpa hat on the next page or something.
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    " Having taken the edge off his sweet tooth with the gumdrop, faded by
    now to pellet-size on his tongue, the boy could concentrate for a moment
    on the loose pack."

"A box can remain still, but a world continues to turn."

Whew! I know these auction houses tend to use creative writing, but
    who comes up with this stuff??!! image

After reading the description of this auction, I have to wonder if
    this box was at one time complete, and then GAI graded the packs all
    at once -OR- is this group just some collector's achievement of putting
    together 24 sealed packs along with a nice box? Seems like the grades
    are too low for a complete, pristine box that's been put away for 50
    odd years. Anybody know the history of this box? The real history?
  • Options
    Earlier in this topic, AlanAllen quoted Mastro as saying, "At the same time the observer ponders the unknown Mint-condition prospects, the pack exercises its siren's-song effect upon the eyes, and the result is pure ecstasy."

This exactly is why I keep a copy of the Mastro catalogue under my mattress. Sure, I have to take quite a few cold showers before I'm finished reading it, but after I finally finish it, and I light up a cigarette and pass out falling asleep.
  • Options
    Too bad the centerfold is Abe Lincoln's toe-nail clippings
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Granted it's not part of their sports auction listing, but has anyone else noticed the autographed copy of Mein Kampf that they are auctioning off. I didn't think that something like that could be offered for sale in the United States. It's nice to see that the consignor wants the $ to go to charitable organizations, but I still feel ill even reading the auction description.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    Morally, I tend to agree. actually I would consider buying it just to burn.

however, it is a historically significant item and it raises the question of where you draw the line.
    Personally, I draw it on the other side of this one, but don't begrudge Mastro for offering it.

....unless the item description includes "little white oversights".
  • Options
    wait a minute....how bout this description for lot 1129 the 1915 Cracker Jack Ty Cobb...

"The human eye experiences a pronounced physiological response to bright color. This response is most measurable with the primary color red. We can't help ourselves. We are inescapibly drawn to it. Because of this human condition, we have chosen the hue to represent a sense of alarm, urgency, even the most pronounced of passions. When the shade is used in conjunction with an intriguing or exciting image, the end result is complete and total mental engagement on the part of the observer......"

Now that's fancy!
    Good stuff growing in Willowbrook or what?

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    After reading the description of this auction, I have to wonder if
    this box was at one time complete, and then GAI graded the packs all
    at once -OR- is this group just some collector's achievement of putting
    together 24 sealed packs along with a nice box? Seems like the grades
    are too low for a complete, pristine box that's been put away for 50
    odd years. Anybody know the history of this box? The real history? >>

I spoke to some at GAI regarding the 1952 and 1953 packs. He indicated to me that the relatively low grades were in fact due to micro-tears in the wrapper, and that they were not necessarily reflective of environmental (e.g. water) damage. That may be somewhat different for the 1954 packs, though. This person indicated that there was even one 1952 pack that was opened - and three of the cards that came from the pack graded out as 8 NM/MT, 9 MINT and one that would grade the PSA equivalent of PSA 9 o/c. Not sure if these were actually graded - or simply reflective of how they would have graded. This information was very helpful to me, though.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info on the packs, MS.

In another thread, I asked what everyone would do if they had
    that '52 box. The majority said they'd open at least a few packs,
    which must explain why these things are so rare. Seems like it
    takes a special kind of patience to collect unopened packs.