Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Reference for Steve Verkman

Can I get some opinions on Steve Verkmans ability to accurately grade cards?
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Comments

• Options
    I have heard differing opinions on his ability to grade cards. Some are pleased while others are unhappy with his opinion.

I personally have only bought graded cards from him, so the only information I can give you is about his customer service. The one time I dealt with him he was very helpful over the phone, apologetic for an invoice error (he billed $76 shipping on a $90 lot), and delivered the cards nicely packaged and promptly via USPS.

A good experience and I would probably use him again, but he just doesn't offer a lot of things that I am interested in.

Good luck,

spacktrack
  • Options
    I have never dealt with them but according to this post on the Network 54 board, it sounds kind of risky.

Ron
  • Options
    Hmmmm....that doesn't make me feel to good about the $1200 I just spent on his web-site. His scans looked good. I actually held off on $2100 worth of other purchases until I see how these cards compare to his descriptions and scans.

I thought I remembered good things about him? GEORGE IS GETTIN' UPSET!!! image

Let's hope this turns out okay.
  • Options
    Somebody please correct me if I am in error. I seem to remember reading on Network54 several months ago that he will give trimmed cards a vg grade and no higher.
  • Options
    Marty,

I think that I do remember reading that as well. Amazing that a guy like this can stay in business.

Ron
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Marty-
    I read the same thing- he takes the grade down 2 grades for trimmed cards, just like a qualifier. I've never bought from him, but everything I've ever read and heard was pretty negative. In his favor his return policy seems good- it gets tested fairly often apparently.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    that rare combination of knowledge and greed ?? image
  • Options
    Well I guess it could be worse. At least his return policy is good so I can get the cards and evaluate them myself before they go to PSA.

I really hate to buy under these conditions but my patiences are wearing thin on a few cards. Y'all know how that is.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    About a year ago he had a red man pack that was not what it appeared to be. He ignored
    emails. I pass on his stuff.

aconte
  • Options
    Sox
    What is it that you are in need of? Maybe someone on the board knows where others may be.
  • Options
    In this case I'm speaking of pre-war Hockey Hall of Famers in VG-EX or better condition.

I just spoke to Steve and he'll give me a 10 return policy to cover my inspection time before I send the cards in for grading. If I'm not satisfied they'll get the grade he advertised he'll give me a full refund. For issues not so obvious that PSA might find like trimming or restoration he'll give me a 90 days return window.

Plus he's giving me a 30% volume discount. I really can't ask for more than that.
  • Options
    Marty,

Ok. I see you offer '33 and '38 Goudey's. Where are the '34s? I feel violated image
  • Options
    Steve is one of the most honest people in the industry. His grading on raw cards is more or less "old school" - similar to what you'd find with other long time dealers - Kit Young, Larry Fritsch, etc. He does provide scans on more expensive items, and the scans are not touched up or enhanced.

Re: trim cards - I know on some LOWER VALUE cards he does grade cards that have an Ex/ExMt appearance with an irregular cut as VG or worse. I'm talking of items like a T206 common worth $25 or so retail, with an irregular/questionable edge, not a blatant trim job. These are cards that many less reputable e-bay sellers would just grade ExMt and post. I questioned this when I saw the post on the Net54 board, and what always seems to be lost in the translation was that Verkman explained the problem to the buyer, and offered (and perhaps made, I can't remember) a full refund. When printing a catalog like he does, you don't have a lot of room for description on lower valued items, so it seems like a reasonable compromise.

I have bought many items from him, old and new, and never had any problem that wasn't rectified. Like most auctions (Mastro, Lelands, etc.) he does have an all sales are final policy in his auctions, which is where many of the condition complaints have originated, primarily from one disgruntled individual.
  • Options
    beefacke,

That's really good to hear. I feel much better about the situation after speaking with him. It's one of those situation where you just feel uneasy with how you might be treated when the seller doesn't know you. God knows I've been treated bad before as a new buyer and have seen a huge change once the seller gets to know me. Hopefully Steve and I just turned that corner.

Tom
  • Options
    Beefcake,

Actually I spoke with the person who started that post on the Network 54 board. They were never offered a refund. They were offered to return the card and have it be auctioned again. Only to have some other poor sole get stuck with it.

It is great to hear that they are willing to offer such solid return privileges on the straight sales. The Network 54 situation is only one situation--just not one that makes a buyer confident in the retailer.

Ron
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    I've dealt with Steve for over ten years, and the description titling him "old school ala Kit Young" is appropriate. I have bought stuff that is lower grade and obscure (Oxfords) and have been satisfied. His business practices are straightup, however, he can sometimes be described as a "hustler" or "huckster" which rubs some people the wrong way. For the stuff you are looking to purchase and after reading your communications with him, I think that everything will turn out well. Good Luck. image
    Wondo

• Options
    I did too. Then he called me back and told me he sold half the cards to somebody else. I told him to keep his cards image

That is the cheeziest thing a dealer has ever done to me.
  • Options

You didn't want those cards anyways Tom...and he knew it.

you did well though...usually half the order arrives with notice that the other half was already "sold", then miraculously it reappears in the catalog or auction.
    I dunno,
    ........maybe the return rate is so bewildering that this is true...

• Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    I agree with murcerfan. You don't want his cards.

aconte
  • Options
    I didn't? I take you two think I was going to send them back for poor grading?
  • Options
    murcer & aconte,

I didn't? I take it you two think I was going to send them back for poor grading because of the return policy I asked him for? I guess if his standards weren't up to snuff that's true.

ok murcer. you're a hockey guy. where are the good deals at image ?
  • Options
    unfortunatly the only really good deals seem to be on e-bay.

what were you looking for anyways ?? C55-7's ??

maybe you want to take a look at the large vintage lot Mastro has, I will take the Hamilton Gum cards if you, or others here, want to go in on it.
  • Options
    It seems to be the Mastro lots are all heading towards overpaying. We'll see. I'm disappointed that the C55's are creeping so high for low-mid grade cards. I doubt I'll win anything in this auction. Everything I would want isn't in the greatest condition so I'll like buy elsewhere this time.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    I was looking at both of those C55 lots but they look like they are going to sell for quite a bit. The hockey seems to be doing quite well. I am interested in a few of the cards out of the bulk lots but not enough to put in a worthwhile bid.