Quick Links:   Collectors Corner | PCGS | PSA | PSE | PSA/DNA | CU | Coinflation

Navigation:

FORUMS > PSA SET REGISTRY FORUM [ REFRESH ]
Thread Title: The Effect of Heat on PSA and SGC Graded Cards
Created On Saturday December 06, 2003 12:50 PM

Virtualizard
Expert Collector

Saturday December 06, 2003 12:50 PM

User is offline View users profile View thread in raw text format

A few people have brought up the suggestion that heat affects the labels of SGC graded cards (see Effect of Light thread).

Well, I figured I would test this with an SGC and a PSA graded card.

I preheated the oven to 170 F. I believe this to be an accurate representation of temperatures achieved in the trunk of a parked car in direct sunlight during the summer (It was also the lowest setting on my oven).

I placed the cards in the oven on a metal pizza pan and checked them every 2 minutes for the first 6 minutes. There was no change. I then put them back for an additional 5 minutes. After 11 minutes, the label of the SGC graded card had significantly darkened. I placed the slabs back in the oven and checked them again at 13 and 15 minutes, with no additional darkening of the SGC label. I then placed the cards back in the oven for an additional 10 minutes.

After 25 minutes of "baking", here are the results (the PSA card was scanned cold and after 25 minutes at 170 F while the SGC card was scanned cold, after 11 minutes at 170 F, and after 25 minutes at 170 F):

Conclusion:

SGC uses heat sensitive labels similar to older fax machines, label makers, ATMs, and Pay at the Pump gas pumps. PSA uses an ink printed label.

Now, go get your SGC cards out of the trunk of your car (you can leave the PSA cards in there - it will keep them protected from the light! )

JEB.

Bottom

Mantlefan
Collector

Saturday December 06, 2003 2:11 PM

User is offline View thread in raw text format

Hey, I needed that Jarvis SGC card. It's a 1 of 1!!

-------------------------
Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!

Bottom

srs1a
Veteran

Saturday December 06, 2003 3:06 PM

I believe that the SGC labels are printed using a similar technology as receipts at, for instance, Home Depot or CVS. Leaving a Home Depot receipt of a CVS coupon that you get at the register gives you a pitch black stub of paper -- much like the flip in JEB's experiment.

BTW JEB -- great stuff!!!

Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC

Bottom

Cubfan
Collector

Saturday December 06, 2003 3:31 PM

That Jarvis label was similar to the one I had mentioned in the other thread.

However, that label that I saw was so dark you couldnt read a single word or number. It was almost like black paste had been spread on it.

I was able to determine the grade from the SGC pop report, but then figured the card itself was just as damaged although I would guess that a good part of the heat was probably from being stored in a truck of a car or van during the week with only weekend exposure to the sunlight.

Either way, interesting test JEB. Thanks!!

Bottom

Virtualizard
Expert Collector

Saturday December 06, 2003 9:20 PM

<< That Jarvis label was similar to the one I had mentioned in the other thread.

However, that label that I saw was so dark you couldnt read a single word or number. It was almost like black paste had been spread on it.

I was able to determine the grade from the SGC pop report, but then figured the card itself was just as damaged although I would guess that a good part of the heat was probably from being stored in a truck of a car or van during the week with only weekend exposure to the sunlight.

Either way, interesting test JEB. Thanks!!
>>

Cubfan,

I cooked Mr. Jarvis a while longer. Actually 30 minutes at 170 F didn't cut it, so I upped the temp to 200 F for about 15 minutes and that did it. Man, the trunk of your car must get pretty hot!

Another interesting note: after this additional time in the oven, the label seemed free to move out of its designated spot and there was some warping of the black insert:

JEB.

Bottom

Cubfan
Collector

Sunday December 07, 2003 6:58 AM

JEB,

That wasnt my card or my trunk, but it was (what could have been) a nice grouping of cards that I saw at this outdoor flea market that appears about 2 times each year here. This guy has tons of stuff and maybe 5% of it is worthwhile. But Im guessing those cards were set out in the sun every weekend and stored in some van during the week. All he was asking what what he called "grading costs". But they were too sun bleached and the before heat grade was unreadable so it was a shame.

Keith

Bottom

OhioTaz

Sunday December 07, 2003 9:01 AM

That SGC label is interesting. In know that thermal printers are not advised in medicine where long term record keeping is a must. Many times I have pulled old patient charts and found a fax was filed that is now blank. These are stored in cool dark areas so just age in general led to this condition. I have also heard that the inks in an inkjet printer may not be as durable as one would hope.

Greg

Buying 1964 PSA 9 Baseball

Bottom

Davemri
Collector

Sunday December 07, 2003 1:59 PM

I wonder how long / hot it would have to be for the slabs to melt. Id figure 200 would do it.

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!

Bottom

Virtualizard
Expert Collector

Sunday December 07, 2003 2:20 PM

Dave,

From my recent experiences, it would appear that the black insert in SGC slabs are on the verge of melting at 200 F, but the slab itself was as rigid at 200 as it was at 75 before it went into the oven. I would guess 300 or better before the slab melts. You just want me to melt the slab, don't you?

JEB.

Bottom

Debs

Tuesday December 09, 2003 10:06 AM

My favorite SGC recipe is to marinate a SGC 88 1979 Topps Dick Pole in red wine vinagrette for two hours, bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, and serve with cilantro pesto, a side of field greens and a nice Pinot Grigio.

Bottom

coachh
Collector

Tuesday December 09, 2003 10:12 AM

Sorry Debs. SGC is better if cooked cajun style. PSA is petter using your method.

Bottom

Noname

Tuesday December 16, 2003 10:22 PM

If SGC can't stand the heat, it should get out of the kitchen.

Bottom

Vargha
Yeah . . . whatever

Wednesday December 17, 2003 7:13 AM

Actually, if you are using a gas oven, it would depend upon where you place the card and you would need to not have the card in while the oven is warming up. Because the heat coming in "spreads out" to fill the entire oven, it is actually hotter than the setting says that the overall temperature averages out to be. While paper combusts at 451F, you can easily start a fire in your gas oven with exposed paper at under 300F on the setting.

However, based upon your test, it appears that some graded cards are hot right now.

(typo fixed)

Heh / My lawyers will be contacting all of you!
[email protected]

soli Deo gloria

Edited: Wednesday December 17, 2003 at 7:13 AM by Vargha

Bottom

Virtualizard
Expert Collector

Wednesday December 17, 2003 7:39 AM

It was electric and I preheated.

JEB.

Bottom

FORUMS > PSA SET REGISTRY FORUM [ REFRESH ]
View Member Listing | Add To Member Listing

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Terms of Membership

Collectors Universe, Inc., or any subsidiary or affiliate is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness or validity of any information contained in any messages.

FuseTalk 3.0 - Copyright 1999-2002 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.