Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Thanks to anjcollection

A short while back, someone asked about 1949 Bowman cards. anjcollection gave some information and said that he got it from "The Complete Book of Collectible Baseball Cards". I looked it up on amazon.com and bought a used on for $5.00 plus shipping. I just got it today. 380 pages, 1985 copyright by Bob Lemke put out by Consumer Guide. It covers a lot of issues from 1885 through 1984. There are a lot of tobacco, gum, candy, food issues described. It gives a history of the set, specs, noteworthy cards, pros and cons of the set and a 5-year projection.

1974 Deckle $750.00 on exmt with projection below average.

1970 Kellogg's $50.00 5-year above average

1911 T3 $8500.00 5-year below average

1954 Wilson's $1500.00 5-year below average

1980 Kellogg's $7.50 5-year well above average

There were several on amazon for different prices from different sellers. I would have paid over $20.00 for it if I had too.
A great addition to my reference library.

Comments

• Options
    I would highly suggest getting the 2004 Version of Lemke's Catalog. It has 19 years worth of additional "hobby knowledge" and is still quite affordable.

It is currently going for $23.99 on Amazon (new).

JEB.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    JEB - I recommend that book too! I got mine a couple weeks ago.
    The thing is huge, over 1700 pages and a ton of info at your fingertips...jay
  • Options

<< <i>...The thing is huge, over 1700 pages and a ton of info at your fingertips...jay >>

It is huge. It makes me not feel so bad about sitting at the computer for an hour searching for rare cards when I have to pick it up off of the floor repeatedly to look up a card - quite a workout! image

JEB.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    The book was too big for me. I took a large utility knife and cut the new issue half completely out, then retaped the cover. 1st show I was at found a kid that looked pretty into it and gave him the post '80 or so half the book. His look was worth the price of the whole book.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>The book was too big for me. I took a large utility knife and cut the new issue half completely out, then retaped the cover. 1st show I was at found a kid that looked pretty into it and gave him the post '80 or so half the book. His look was worth the price of the whole book. >>

Good idea, but I think I'll stick with the whole book ... if you saw what it's done for my biceps, you'd be wishing that you had the modern half back! image

JEB.
  • Options
    The book that I bought has more information about each set of cards than the Price Guide does. In the SCD Price Guide, the 1955 Stahl Meyer set has 10 lines, in my book there is more than a column. The 1961 Post Cereal cards has more than a page. It is not really a price guide, it is more of a reference book.
  • Options
    A new version of the one I've had since 85? Cool... I'll have to check it out.. guess I know what to tell my wife to get me for Christmas this year! (If I can't own the cards I want, I might as well read about them!)

PS. I second that comment about the 1954 Wilson Franks...it's kinda funny to read... Projection (their guess as to the set's investment value) BELOW AVERAGE. A Williams was booking for $600 back then (in NRMT condition I believe). I think a 4 just went for over $2200 on eBay this past week!
  • Options

<< <i>The book was too big for me. I took a large utility knife and cut the new issue half completely out, then retaped the cover. 1st show I was at found a kid that looked pretty into it and gave him the post '80 or so half the book. His look was worth the price of the whole book. >>

That's perfect Griff image !!! I can't say I ever use the back half of that book. I wish they broke the books for the other sports out that way as well so I could tear those out too!!
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the new catalog list some non-card items also such as 7/11 cups, 79 Penn player patches, etc?

Thanks,
    Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    Abe,

Good to hear from you.

I think you're talking football here? The catalog that is being discussed is the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards.

Sorry if I'm wrong.

JEB.
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Marty, that's funny that you mentioned that 1984 book for I bought it new back then and just finished going through it again. I always read it back to front, chronological order. I still learn from it but I get really depressed ready the blurbs about the prices and knowing all of the cards I could have gotten (if I had more money) when I was both a collector and worked in card shops back in the 1980s.
  • Options
    JEB,
    Thanks for the welcome. I hope your doing well, I've seen you buying some great Willie Stargell stuff lately.

No, I'm actually speaking of the baseball catalog. I was just curious if they had included some common non-card items in it. I haven't bought one for a few years and need to get a new one, was just checking before grabbing one on amazon.

Thanks,
    Abe
  • Options
    Abe,

Sorry, I thought they might be Dorsett items - I noticed you've been active in that department recently. image

To answer your question, the 2004 Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards does not include the 2 issues that you mentioned. They have gone beyond just cards, though. I see Coca Cola Bottle caps, Topps coins, Mattel Records, etc. listed. It seems that they are on the verge of breaking out of the 2nd dimension! image

Although this catalog is much more complete than any other resource I know of, I too would like to see it expand to include even more obscure items (even if they are not that rare).

JEB.
  • Options
    JEB,
    Thanks for the info., it is useful. Your right, I've had some good luck with Tony D lately, hopefully that will continue. Do you happen to know if the Beckett almanac goes any further with non-card items? It's funny, I never use these books for prices any longer, mostly for info and checklists.

Abe