Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Where do I put all these cards?

Can someone give me some advice on how to store or display a large amount of PSA cards. I have my 100% 1974 Baseball set sitting on the floor of my office. How do you guys organize and or display your cards? Are there any cool racks or displays made for PSA cards? I actually look at the cards occasionally, and don't just want to stick them away in a box. Some type of finished rack or drawer system would be nice. Any ideas? My wife has had about enough of the mess. I don't want to have to choose between her and the set, cause if it comes to that, she's hiting the road!!! Help!!!

Comments

• Options
    you could always find a nice 5"x7" index card cabinet.... I have SOME of my cards in a Penzonni display for graded cards.... it's nice, and holds about 50 cards.... only need to buy 14 of them image (at $50 a pop)... although I have seriously considered doing that for my T206 graded set I am working on, there is no way I can wish to just store that set.
  • Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

Sideplate,

Welcome to the boards!!

PSA has plastic or cardboard holders and you can always get those tall cardboard boxes(smaller than monster boxes) from someone on e-bay that sells supplies.I keep mine in the boxes that you can buy from PSA.I keep stars and 9's in a plastic box and all my commons in the cardboard ones.There are previous threads on this topic.I am sure that someone will give you a link.

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    Sideplate,

Welcome to the boards also. The only thing I dont like about slabbed cards is the fact that it's very difficult to look at them very often. I store mine in cardboard boxes in numerical order. So if I want to look at them, I have to pull them out, look at them then put them back in order. With raw cards, it is easy to view them in the 9 pocket binders. I wish there was binders for PSA cards. Maybe there are. Who knows?

David
    1972 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    1974 Topps Baseball PSA 8+

Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    ABBAdad, here you go.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    Thanks Joe!
    1972 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    1974 Topps Baseball PSA 8+

Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens
  • Options
    Here's an alternative way of displaying (as opposed to storing) the cards I came across a while back. It works brilliantly for me.

A new way of displaying your PSA cards
    Baseball HOF Autographs
    Topps Baseball 1967
    Mike Payne's 300 Great Cards
    MVPs in their MVP years
    and T206???
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    ABBAdad - I own several of the binders and they are worth the money. Top notch stuff!
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    Check the bottom of this page.

Looks like the same product, maybe a little cheaper?

Morrie
  • Options
    I have a few of those pages, they're ok, but at $3 a page to hold 4 cards, costly to do a set.... also, you need binders, figuring a 3" binder will hold about 12 pages (48 cards) - it'd take FORTY SEVEN (47) 3 inch binders to hold an 800 card set... that's 11.75 running FEET of wall space (or about an entire 6' bookshelf). I already have 4 6' shelves filled with raw sets. image
  • Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas. I guess I will be able to keep the cards and the wife!
  • Options
    I would never keep my cards out for display. Over time, the light -- even just room light -- will discolor the cards. White will become off-white. Colors will start to fade.

Skycap
  • Options
    Skycap,

That's probably a good point. I think it's been mentioned before, but does anyone have any data to back up the statement that "light damages slabbed cards over time". My experiment begins today. I have already placed 8 PSA graded 1970 Topps Baseball cards in different locations with different lighting conditions.

1. Office window sill - exposed to direct sunlight for about 3 hours each day: #12 John Hiller - card front exposed to light source, #200 ALCS Game 2 - card back exposed to light source.

2. 3rd Bedroom window sill - never exposed to direct sunlight: #277 Paul Doyle - card front exposed to light source, #477 Orioles Rookies - card back exposed to light source.

3. Bulletin board in office - exposed to 60W light bulbs for ~8 hrs each day: #58 Dave Marshall - card front exposed to light source, #254 Camilo Pascual - card back exposed to light source.

4. Exterior of house, southern exposure, on roof outside master bedroom - exposed to direct sunlight all day, wind, rain, etc. : #93 Rick Renick- card front exposed to light source, #53 John Kennedy - card back exposed to light source.

I have scans of all 8 cards. I will check them monthly and scan them again to see if there is any noticeable fading or discoloration.

I'm curious to see what happens and I'll keep updating.

Thanks for giving me another long term project. image

JEB.
  • Options
    Sun certainly fades the surface of the card. Unless the cards are covered with UV protection glass.

I just keep my cards in a dark room and view them with a flash light image Perhaps that's why I tend to over grade them? image
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭

<< <i>Sun certainly fades the surface of the card. Unless the cards are covered with UV protection glass.

I just keep my cards in a dark room and view them with a flash light image Perhaps that's why I tend to over grade them? image >>

We'll see how PSA's holder does to protect cards from UV rays - I have two of these cards on the roof of my patio exposed to direct sunlight in South Florida from about 8AM to 8PM right now. image

JEB.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Sure, thats great JEB...

But isn't it kind of a booger to take people onto your patio roof just to show off those cards???image
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!