Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA should do more of this.

There's definitely value to buyers in knowing many high dollar cards are authentic, yet altered in some way. This beats getting your card back in a card saver I.

Regards,

Alan

Comments

• Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Alan, I'm with you. For $8-10, as long as the card is authentic, I want the damn holder. Whether the card is given a straight grade, a qualifier, or deemed trimed, re-colored, built-up, etc.
  • Options
    I agree that this is a very good idea for the follwowing reasons:

It gives you some value for the $'s you spent on grading...

In terms of High $ value cards it may create a new market...

It makes it just a little bit harder for those who are dishonest to resell the card as the real deal....

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    I agree they should. Great IDEA!!!

james
    x
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    what would you pay for that mantle card?
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    by the way i agree that they should offer this as a service for vintage higher priced cards that are altered
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

• Options
    srs1asrs1a Posts: 398
    This closely parallels the current state in comic grading. CGC uses a different color label on the holder to signify if a book was restored. They actually have several colors that mean different things -- see CGC. Restored books are significantly less valuable than their un-restored brethren -- which I'm sure will also be the case with cards.

One question on "authenticity" -- what does this actually mean. Does it mean that there is a shred of original cardboard underneath the glue, rebuilt layers and coloring...or does there need to be more than this. I think that this might be a slippery slope.
    Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Baseballfan,

I am not in the market for a trimmed 1952 Mantle, but I usually think cards are worth about half of whatever Levi is asking for them. image

I see auctions on EBAY all the time for trimmed cards. Sometimes for pretty decent money. At least the buyer knows that these are not forgeries, reprints, etc. The downside is that people would break out nice looking trimmed cards and scam people with the whole PRO experience.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    well at least you know it real just altered, and it would have a psa holder instead of pro, which is always better
    and if you were a collector and couldn't afford the unaltered version you could pick one up and know it's real just damaged.
    but your probably right inevitably someone would break it out and try to sneak it by in some other form or fashion
    Fred

• Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    look like a great idea, people are going to try to scam no matter what. when buyers know that there is an alternative , they will give second thought to buying into the scams.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I have always been in favor of this.
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    When did PSA start doing this? What are the criteria for having are card slabbed, that has been altered?
  • Options
    Very interesting move on PSA's part.
    I wonder what people would pay for my NRMT/MT Trimmed 69' Mike Shannon?
    Maybe I should now resubmit.
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    I agree that this is a good thing to do. It reduces the vicious cycle of the same trimmed card being sold raw to unsuspecting buyers.

The other thing I find interesting is that they write "trimmed" as opposed to "evidence of trimming".
  • Options
    It's an excellent idea. At some point in all our lives, we would have been very happy with a card like this. Millions of people would still be very happy to have the card. Not everyone is a grade advocate. No. Some people are actually destined to lead happy lives with families. They leave their computer and venture out of the basement to smell the Newark air. Also, as some have said, it takes the card off the market and prevents any nonsensical representation. It preserves the already fragile nature of the card, too. It's a win/win situation. Hell, even though I'm a big, rich daddy's boy. I'd pick up a couple of these in cards that I just can't afford because i've overspent on my allowance. Just, please. No negative grading. I don't want to have to discern between a negative PSA 2 and a minus PSA 3.

This is good for the hobby. I'm surprised PSA would have anything to do with it. I'm just praying I don't see these end up on Superior with PSA 8 grades.

Love to all. I'll be inviting you all down to my summer retreat real soon.

Satan
  • Options
    How would a card like this contribute to a registry score? Like another qualifier? Makes for interesting scenarios.
    Call me crazy, but I collect 62 Topps BB.

eBay auctions
  • Options
    UllrUllr Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    collecting '67 & '75 red sox + baseball HOF autographs
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Love to all. I'll be inviting you all down to my summer retreat real soon.

Satan

Is it pretty hot "down" there, Satan?
  • Options
    It's a moist heat. Good for your skin. You'll need nothing more than a pair of Speedos so pack light.

Preparing your barbed wire bed right now,

Satan
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Satan wrote: "I'm just praying I don't see these end up on Superior with PSA 8 grades.

Who do you pray to?
  • Options

<< <i>Satan wrote: "I'm just praying I don't see these end up on Superior with PSA 8 grades.

Who do you pray to? >>

My guess would be the "Snake" Ken Stabler. image

Satan's icon indicates worship of a snake and he posted a reference to Ken Stabler in this thread. What more evidence do you need? image

JEB.
  • Options
    Ken Stabler did things for me no other person, man or woman, has ever done. Definitely, the coolest football player of all time. And, what a role model. I'd have never discovered booze and uppers if not for Ken. He trounced the Vikings in the Super Bowl and had the respect of scholars such as "The 'tooz", Otis Sistrunk, Cliff Branch and Fred Blitnekoff.

I love Ken like a second wife. I'm going to get one of those statues with him in his Alabama uniform and put it right behind my girlfriend on the shelf when we're having sex.

However, I don't pray to Ken. I pray to Ben Affleck. He is the only evil presence more powerful than myself. He is all powerful. How else can a noboby schmuck win an Oscar for writing, snag J. LO, do love scenes with Liv Tyler and have the gall to try in act in a role where he plays a blind guy. I think the guy that played Barney Fife would have been a better Daredevil.

Hell is odd. Don't come here if you can avoid it. It's like Europe. Everyone is a snob and you can't get two decent ice cubes.

Even I report to a boss,

Satan
  • Options
    DOES ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE THE DETAILS ON THIS GRADING OF TRIMMED/ALTERED CARDS. SEEMS PEOPLE DON'T KNOW THAT MUCH ABOUT IT AND WE HAVE A FEW CARDS WE WOULD LIKE TO GRADE THAT ARE HIGH DOLLAR ALTERED.

Chris
  • Options
    All you need are a sharp pair of scissors and a collectors club membership. I would imagine if you enclose a letter to PSA stating that you know they're trimmed and want them slabbed as such, it would do the trick.

Smelly
  • Options
    I wonder will that mess up tthe grading scale when you add it to your set...
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    I've had an exchange of e-mails with BJ and at the moment the position is that PSA will not be admitting Authentic cards to the Set Registry.

The problem identified by roastedcat is such that it would require re-programming of the whole registry, apparently. And unless there is significant demand to do so, they will not be devoting resources to such a major job.

So, what does anyone else think? Apart from us HOF Autograph types, is there anyone else for whom these cards would be of any use for Set Registry purposes?
    Baseball HOF Autographs
    Topps Baseball 1967
    Mike Payne's 300 Great Cards
    MVPs in their MVP years
    and T206???
  • Options
    My suggestion would be to count them as a grade of 0.5 since it has been established that the card has been altered in some way, yet is still authentic. This would allow the addition of these cards to the set, and at the same time, not piss off the collectors who have legitimate PSA 1's that are unaltered.

I believe that anyone who is willing to collect a set of trimmed/altered cards that really look nice and are authenticated should be allowed to register a set on the registry. Assigning a grade of 0.5 to each of these would let the other registry participants know that their unaltered cards are still more worthy/valuable in the set, regardless of grade, because they are unaltered.

Just a thought, but it couldn't hurt PSA to slab these cards. They would eventually be sold raw on ebay in "MINT" condition anyway. image

JEB.
  • Options
    Excellent suggestion, JEB
    Baseball HOF Autographs
    Topps Baseball 1967
    Mike Payne's 300 Great Cards
    MVPs in their MVP years
    and T206???