Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Did I miss a post about this? Should I sell everything now?

It seems that everyone is selling off their PSA sets on ebay recently:

Lafayette43's '75 Set

Luxurywine's '74 Set

mcastaldi's '75 Set

Luxurywine's '69 Set

All of these and more have been listed on ebay in the past week. Are people just looking to see what the market will bring or are they getting out? I can't imagine putting that much effort into a set just to sell it, more often than not at a financial loss.

JEB.

Comments

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know in the case of the '74 and '69 sets, it was due to an emergency situation and the seller plans to build sets in the future. The other's I'm not sure about.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    lafayette spent alot of money at what was the top of the mkt
    awhile back.given pops always increase maybe he's just doing
    what he needs to do,bail out of a falling market.
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    JEB - Remember if you ever plan to liquadate, just give me 1st crack on that super rare Stargell 1/1 that I foolishly sold to youimage ...jay
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭

<< <i>JEB - Remember if you ever plan to liquadate, just give me 1st crack on that super rare Stargell 1/1 that I foolishly sold to youimage ...jay >>

Jay,

I'll foolishly sell it back to you right now for $500 if you're interested. image

JEB.
  • Options
    I can answer the question as to why I sold my 34 Goudey Set, 74 Topps Set and the 1969 Topps Set is up for sale in my Store.

First of all let me say that my corporation restructured last month and the divison I was in was folded and 85% of the people in it lost their jobs me being one of them. The good news is that I did get an okay severance package and have plenty of financial breathing room. (Money is not the issue as to why I sold the sets) In a way it was kind of a blessing because the people who were running the division were as good at running a business as Pro is at spotting trimmed cards if you catch my drift. To be honest after working for my company for 15 years and loving my job the last year and a half has been pure drudgery.

The reasons I sold are several...

First, With what I have learned over the last year and a half I know I can rebuild these sets fairly quickly. It is just a matter of putting in some work,time,money and having some patience and discipline. I spend almost 3-4 hours per night on my set building after the wife and the kids go to bed. ( I usually only get 4-5 hours of sleep a night). The 34 goudey Set I sold was put together in under 5 months .... and I will probably try and put it together in a little higher grade next time (Here is a link to the set (Thankfully purchased by gosoxbosox - a really cool guy....)
    34 Goudey Set So I may put up sets for sale at any time ... Only 3 sets to me are not ever going to be sold from my collection (1914 Polo Grounds Game, 1936 Goudey and 300 greatest Baseball cards) and a couple of others I would have to be completely overwhelmed to consider selling.

Second in the case of the 34 Goudey's and the 74 Topps . The market had picked up lately . The 74 Topps have a bunch of new players going after 8's and before when I could pick a common for $8-9 I now see a lot of them going for $11-12 delivered. I think in the 1974's at least we are begining to see the ocean of 74's graded from the $6 specials dry up. However there is a significant amount of raw cards still available. The 1934 Goudey's have seen tremendous interest lately in the mid grade range PSA 5-6 cards . Before where I could pick up commons at 60-75% of book recently they had been consistently going for over 90-110% of book. So it was time to sell or step up the spending I decided to sell as my dream is to eventually build an all PSA 8 set in this issue.

Third , the cards I buy I want to be able to display not just sit in a box as my 74's were doing. So Iwill try and stay away from bigger sets. However I do want to say I built a bigger set from scratch so I am tackling the 69's in PSA 8 which I feel are terrific bargins right now...But this will be strictly an investment set and I will add cards and up the pirce in my store as I Go along. If the 8 market on the 69's really heats up I will put the set up for auction and get my money out.

I also want to build some older pre-war sets which I think would be fun to do and this gives me an ample treasure chest to do so.....

Finally with my job loss I am SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING BUYING AND SELLING CARDS AS A PROFESSION Although I am actively conducting a job search ( I have already been offred a job at 75% of my fromer salary) I am really starting to lean toward selling cards for a living ... Although I really like selling wine or luxury consumer goods ... I would love to do this for a living ...my only reservation is can I make enough to really do this ? Over the next month or two you may see me sell some moere sets as I try and answer that question...

Jeff
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    tell bill sokolin he's a scumbag for me ok?
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Jay-

When you get that Stargel..you know who to call...right? RIGHT? image

John
  • Options

To me the reason people are selling their sets is because of the recent BIN purchases...nothing wrong with jumping on (or off) the bangwagon.

<< <i>I spend almost 3-4 hours per night on my set building after the wife and the kids go to bed. ( I usually only get 4-5 hours of sleep a night). >>

Jeff- I cannot tell you how true that statement is.

Oh yes...Best of Luck with your future endeavors.

John Basilone
  • Options
    Thanks for the props Jeff......but I can think of 9,000 reasons why you sold the '34 set image

It's all worth it on my side. #6 and #37 are real keepers!!! Let me know if you run across any others.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Well. . .here goes. . .

I saw Lafayette's set sell for what it did. From bidding against him, I knew what he had in most of the cards and he was in pretty deep. He also bids quite seriously on 57T. So seeing him sell off wasn't a surprise.

I also know that the primary difference betwen his set and mine was that I didn't have a PSA9 Yount, but I feel that card-for-card, over the course of the set, I was a bit more discriminating about the cards that are in my set.

So. . .I decided to put it up, and structured the auction in such a way that if it sells - great. I can use the cash to relieve some high-interest stuff. If it doesn't sell, then that's cool too. I just felt the time was right. But not to worry. . .the 72 set is still moving forward - and - ever the glutton for punishment, I've decided to start a 73 set. *shrugs* I just fell in love with all the action shots.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    Good luck Mike!

As the new owner of the "old Lafayette" set, I can tell you it will have a brand-new look when it hits the registry in a couple of weeks....
  • Options
    Ok guys. I thought I'd give it a shot.

Here's my offering:

www.virtualizard.com

Although the 1970 set approaches the Levi Bleam pricing model (actually it would have been closer to $30,000 using Levi's pricing image ), I think the other sets are a good deal at these prices.

OK. Discuss.

JEB.

edited for spelling error. image
  • Options
    42 1960 cards for $1800? What is the collective SMR?

wow.

John
  • Options
    $1800 is the BIN. The $1300 opening bid is about 85% of SMR. The Yaz rookie in PSA 8 is included - SMR is $320. Don Drysdale in PSA 8 - SMR of $95, the Jim Kaat rookie in PSA 8 - SMR of $75, and the Red Sox Team Card in PSA 8 - SMR of $65, plus another 38 cards with average SMR of $25.

I don't really care if this sells. It is one of my favorite sets. I just wanted to see what the market was for it. If it sells, I'll start buying again.

JEB.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Yes -- You should sell now! Start by having a fire sale on your 1975 Topps. (Give me first crack, of course.)
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    JEB - To get a real good market indication of the value, start all your PSA sets out at $1.00image I'll guarantee you a lot of activity if nothing elseimage ...jay
  • Options
    Jay,

That's true but I didn't want to spend the cash for the reserve, so I started the auctions at what I thought were fair amounts based on SMR and what I have invested in the sets. It cost me about $20 to list these auctions (about what I spend on commons from the 1960 set) so it's really not a big deal. If they sell, great. If not, it's not a big loss.

By the way, don't jump on me because I used the word "invested" either. I don't consider any of my cards investments. Maybe a low interest rate bank account at best, but definitely not an investment. image

JEB.
  • Options
    Jason, I’m disappointed …… I was hoping you would be the first to 100% for 1970.

If your set does not sell I know 10 cards that would be able to find a nice new home. image

Best of luck in your auctions.

Chris
  • Options
    Chris,

I'm not counting on the 1970 set selling. If it does sell, I will begin collecting it again with the advantage of having done it once and knowing what to do and what not to do the second time around.

Hey, it only cost me $6.90 to list it on ebay. Why not? image

JEB.
  • Options
    as long as that means that i get first crack at the 9's. image

if your set does sell, do you think i could get my 30K investment back out of my set?? image

good luck to you.

Chris
  • Options

<< <i>as long as that means that i get first crack at the 9's. image ... >>

Chris,

That would fall under the "what to do and what not to do the second time around" category for me. image

Believe it or not, I actually beat Chris Renaud on 1 or 2 auctions back in Sept or Oct of last year. That doesn't really mean a whole lot now in the grand scheme of things, but, I did get my "Best of the Registry" certificate last year for my effort. image

Best of luck in your PSA 9 set. I know it will someday pass my set, whether it be on the All-Time Finest or Current Finest list.

JEB.
  • Options
    Okay, I bought Mike's set. Does anyone need about 350+ duplicates?
  • Options

Hopefully you do not plan to list those PSA 8 bad boys one at a time on eBay.......

John
  • Options
    Funny you should bring that up - I was thinking about the best way to dispose of 25 1975 PSA8's I don't need anymore.....
  • Options
    Hopefully you do not plan to list those PSA 8 bad boys one at a time on eBay.......

Definitely not.