Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The difference a millimeter makes

Two recent auctions for a tough card:
Hegan 8
Hegan 8oc

The first sold for $489, the second less than 10% of that. The former, I think, is nicer overall, with stronger corners and edges that the latter. The pop is 15 on the 8, one of the lower totals for the 52B set. There are only 2 8Qs, along with 1 9, 2 7s, and 4 6s (as of my 2 week old pop report). But I'm pretty impressed with the price on the straight 8, and wonder what the latter would have gone for as a straight 7 or 6. Centering depending on what looks like the thickness of the black borderline apparently makes a world of difference.
WANTED:
2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay

Comments

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    That is unbelievable! I know the feeling though. I had a pretty big 73 football vending stash, and PSA was pretty picky with the Bradshaw's and Staubach's.
    9's went for about $250.00 9 o/c's went for like $17.00
    People (like myself) don't even look at an o/c card. Even though, like you said, a millimeter.

I'm sure the o/c buyer thinks he's getting a good deal, and he's probably right!
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    Not to mention that the straight 8 has a serial # starting with "0". I thought those sold for less than the newer 8oc's. image

Seriously, I guess it's another case of card vs. holder. For the price difference, you could resubmit the 8oc about 40 times on the chance of receiving a straight 8. I'd bet 1 out of the 40 would cross.

On a related note: for set registry purposes, I think PSA needs to change the 2 point drop for some Q's (maybe not MC or MK or even OC in some cases?). Would it not be in their best interest? More people would submit borderline cards because they would end up selling higher. Most of the time, if you covered up the grades on the holders, collectors would choose an 8oc over a straight 6. I'll probably get some arguments against this (I know I wouldn't even agree with my own statement all of the time). Let's hear some thoughts on this.

JEB.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

One easy distinction would be a deduction of 2 if the flaw was on the front of the card,
    and a deduction of only 1 if the flaw was on the back,
    but it's unworkable since PSA doesn't keep track of such things in their data base.

Something actually workable would be to reduce the qualifer deduction from 2 to 1-1/2,
    since 2 seems like too much and 1 doesn't seem like enough.
    It would probably just take a simple adjustment to the Registry's existing computer program.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    I just don't think that all Q's are equal. An MC is a major flaw and I'd even be for an increase to a 3 point deduction for this. The OC often times does not warrant more than a 1 point deduction (in my opinion). Although I've never been a supporter of the half grade system, it might be a good idea in some situations: if the a card meets all of the criteria to be graded "8" except the centering is a little below the minimum for the grade (i.e. still within the range for a "7"), why not call it a "7.5"? It just doesn't make sense to me to have it equal to a straight "6" as far as the set registry is concerned.

JEB.