Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA Grade Weight

I know this must have been asked and answered before, but can someone please explain to me how the grade weight is calculated. How do you determine if it's a 1, 2 or 3 and so on. Any help or link would be appreciated.

Thanks.
David Robinson graded cards wanted

Want/Trade List at http://www.freewebs.com/hobby-exchange/

Feedback at eBay's hobby-exchange

Comments

• Options
    According to Psa the weights go along with SMR prices. For example a 1986 fleer Jordan would have a weight of 10 and commons would weight a 1. This is not always the case but it's pretty close.

Mike
  • Options
    I was also wondering about the weights.

I have a set that I am working on that isn't weighted and I really want it to be. Is it something that PSA will eventually get around to or is there something I can do to facilitate and speed up the process?
    missinglinks

Currently working on:
    *1941 Double Play
    *500 Home Run Rookie Cards

Always Upgrading
    *1954 Dan Dee
    *1959 Fleer Three Stooges
  • Options
    Missinglink,

Send PSA your suggested weighting for the set that you are working on. They will probably never get around to it if there isn't some request for it. The worst that can happen is that they say no. They may use your weighting or adjust a few that you suggest. It's worth a shot.

JEB.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I have requested 4 sets so far and I provided weighting to them. They used my exact weighting for 2 of them and the other 2 they "adjusted" but all 4 sets went up on the registry with weighting. They are sets that I am the only one collecting so it didn't really matter much to them I think.
  • Options
    Wabittwax,

Do you mind sending one of the sets that you weighted so we can get an idea how it's done? Taking the example of the Fleer 86, I can understand the Jordan RC is weighted at 10 and the commons at 1, but then what about the others. How do I know if the Karl Malone is 5 or 6 or 8? What about the Olajuwo or Ewig or Wilikins etc.? What about the Jeff Malone which I heard is really tough? What grade would it be? As a player, he'd be considered a common or a 1. Does the fact the card is tough cahnges the grade?

Thanks.

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    hobbyexchange:

Put together your best estimates for whatever set you are working on. Then, e-mail it to any other collectors you know working on the set. When you are done, e-mail it to BJ/Joe Orlando. Joe will review your proposed weighting before it is incorporated. If he finds any glaring over or underweights, he will correct it. If you put time and effort into your first draft, the odds are that 98+% of your weights should be on par, and it will just get a little tweaking.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Thank you mikeschmidt.