Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

First Annual Summit Meeting of Registry Members at the National

This was my fifth National, but this one was very special since for the first time an organized effort was made to meet other PSA Registry Members.

First, two people have to be recognized. One is the ever so charming BJ Searls.

BJ Searls

She was at the PSA area the entire time and had two PCs available on-line for collectors to access the Registry. I chatted with her several times all three days and met several other Registry members in the process. The other thing I learned is that we are practically neighbors. BJ works out of her home in Austin, Texas. Without her tireless effort, the Registry as we know it today would not be possible. Thank you very much BJ and it was a joy meeting you!

The other person that has to be recognized is Mike Castaldi for organizing the Summit meeting of 1965-1975 Registry Members at Gibson's Steakhouse on Friday night.

Mike Castaldi a.k.a "mcastaldi"

The meeting was a real hoot to say the least. Thanks Mike for putting it together and for selecting a terrific eatery. I enjoyed our visit at Gibson's and at the show.

I think everyone who attended will agree that the unofficial keynote speaker had to be Ron Rittlinger ("Revere" - #1 and "Bridgest38 - #3 of the '68 Topps Baseball Registry). Words can't express what an incredible person and great guy Ron is! For those not familiar with Ron, he has a very impressive '41 Playball and '51 Bowman collection - both on the Registry, but his '68 "Revere" set is truly a legendary collection in the making. At the dinner, Ron shared some utterly amazing stories about his card collections and his funny dealings with people in the hobby. In addition, we learned that Ron once had a nationally renowned '57 Pontiac Bonneville convertible and still owns several incredible cars. He's proud to admit that he's 66 years old and could pass for someone 15 years younger. He has a terrific sense of humor and basically "held court" during the dinner. Thanks for joining us Ron! It was a real treat!

Ron Rittlinger

Bob Cacamese also attended the dinner and shared quite a few amazing hobby stories. As many people know, Bob has obtained an impressive amount of some late '60's and 70's unopened material. I've dealt with Bob many times on eBay the past three years and it was great meeting him for the first time.

Bob Cacamese a.k.a. "gaspipe26"

"Funky Frank" Smith also joined us. Frank is a strong player in the '75 Registry plus some other years in the late '70's. Frank and I hit it off quickly as we shared some hilarious stories of a mutual hobby "aquaintance" we've had the painful pleasure of knowing. After five or six Heineken's, Frank finally broke down and admitted to the other attendees the he is the cryptic CU member "waittilltheytrytosell". (He actually did, but I think he was kidding -- wasn't he??)

Frank Smith a.k.a. "Funky Frank"

Alan Cowart also joined us. "Acowa" is nearly completing his '67 set plus he's working on a '52, '53 and '54 Topps set. This was also the first time I met Alan and he sat right beside me, so we had a great time talking about the hobby. Alan was very gracious by giving me a card that I needed for my '67 set (a star card too - a PSA 8 Cepeda). Thanks Alan! I owe you and I'll see if I can't find a card or two for your '67 set.

Alan Cowart a.k.a. "acowa"

Erik Jarvi sat on the other side of me. Erik is #2 on the '72 Registry. Although I didn't know Eric very well before this dinner, we had a real nice time visiting. I was quite impressed that Erik is a music industry mogul and discovered some very impressive groups like the Cherry Poppin' Daddy's. Did you come up with that name for them Erik?

Erik Jarvi

Ron Sanders Jr., "mitochondria" was also in attendance. Ron has a very strong '69 Topps baseball set. He's not ranked first in the registry yet, but with the vast quantity of 10's, he's the odds on favorite to have the '69 set of the ages in the years to come. I spent most of Friday with Ron at the show, so we didn't chat that much at the dinner. Ron is one of the classiest guys in the hobby.

Ron Sanders Jr. a.k.a Mitochondria

Finally, Wayne Ellis also joined us. Wayne is #2 on the '65 Topps Baseball Registry. Unfortunately, I didn't get to visit with Wayne as much as I wanted to since he was on the opposite side of the table, but he also was a great guy to visit with.

Wayne Ellis a.k.a. Wayne8348

In closing, it was a fantastic time. I'd like to also mention that I met Steve Pekovich (doc), Scott Tipton (kmas5), Andy Montero and Jim Merrill (jwmerrill) at the show. All are terrific guys.

Please share your encounters with other collectors and dealers at the National.

Comments

• Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Nice post, great to see the pictures of some of the posters, sort of like how one percieves radio personalities, so that's how they really look.

Now how about a picture of you Dan ?image
    This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    Great, just Great!
    www.LloydWTaylor.com
    Vintage Baseball Cards
    Sales and Ebay Consignment Service
    email
    Lloyd_Taylor_Vintage_Cards -- on Ebay
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
  • Options
    Great Stuff, Dan. Speaking for many of us, I'm sure, I wish I was there. Thanks, too for putting faces to the names. Mike C. is exactly as I pictured him.

Contrary to what all non-collectors believe, folks who collect cards do not dribble down their chins, and we do wash more than once a year. I am now really looking forward to AC next year, and I hope to meet all you visitors to the City of the Big Shoulders and collectors from all over the Fruited Plain over a steak.
    Dom

If I'm buying it's PRICELESS. If I'm selling, it's WORTHLESS.

Looking for 1984 Donruss -
    #238 Keith Hernandez PSA 10
    -----------------and
    #637 Omar Moreno PSA 9 or 10.

• Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    Dude, I could not agree enough. I have received help from BJ countless times in the past. Maybe we should designate a registry icon by her picture in your post
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Dan: Thanks for the post. As Dom said, looking ahead to '03 in AC!! Now what about all of those "other" photos?image
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Great post! Nice to see tne faces behind the names. Living in NYC, I'm planning on going to AC next year. Hope we can do the same.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    dude, thanks for the photos, its nice to have a face to go with the names. i saw wayne (wayne8348) at the show on saturday and he had bought some killer 1965 topps in mint 9! upgrade, upgrade, upgradeimage!
    Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • Options
    Dan - that was really an awesome job, and I enjoyed it very much!!!

It's great to place a face to some of the members.

Tell us about some encounters you had with dealers etc...image
  • Options
    I am sorry to say that I missed the "Summit Meeting" but I did get to meet a few fellow collectors. I was talking to BJ and loading some 1972 Football cards into the registry (BJ had a couple computers set up at the PSA booth) and I heard someone say, "Are you Carlos?" I turned around and saw Frank Smith. We formally introduced ourselves and Frank said Mike Castaldi and Erik Jarvi was at the show. I waited at the PSA booth for Frank to find the guys and bring them back. Frank, BJ, Mike, Erik, and I posed for a couple of photos and we talked for a while. GREAT PEOPLE!!! GangstaJayson and soon to be registry member John Anservitz rolled up and more introduction were in order. Erik showed me some killer 1972 Baseball fines and Mike had an awesome 1975 PSA 9 Hank Aaron.

Me, John and Jayson were filling out our submission forms so we could get our cards graded.

John pick up some T206 cards and some PSA 8 1948 Bowman Football cards.

Jayson got some MINT 1969 and 1972 Topps Football cards.

And I found about 50 raw 1972 Toops Football and some Graded High Numbers including a nice Dick Butkas In Action Card and a John Riggins Rookie Card.

There was a lot of raw cards at the show but you had to look through THOUSANDS of cards to find some MINT examples. Seeings how I had no sleep, this was a difficult task.

The dealer were great to me. I had real good experiences with, Scottsdale Cards, Mint State, Kit Young, Steve Taft, Joe Merkle, and V & J's Vintage Football Cards.

But the best dealer was Mark Murphy. He gave me a discount on a unopened 1975 Topps Football Cello Pack, and was laughing and joking with everyone around his table. This one guy bought a 1974 & 1968 Topps Baseball Rack Pack in front of me at his table. I wanted to follow him around to see what he pulled but I didn't want to be a stalker.

Overall in my opinion, the Cleveland show was better but this was a close second.

Carlos
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great posts! Thanks to all for sharing your experiences with those of us who couldn't attend. I'm amazed that I don't recognize anyone from the photos posted. As many card shows and Nationals that I've been to, I thought for sure I would have recognized someone.

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I had a chance to go to the national, but turned it down. I will be at Atlantic City next August (does anyone have the exact dates?) and perhaps a bunch of us can hook up as well...jay
  • Options

<< <i>I had a chance to go to the national, but turned it down. I will be at Atlantic City next August (does anyone have the exact dates?) and perhaps a bunch of us can hook up as well...jay >>

Straight from somone from the National who emailed me yesterday >> Atlantic City July 21 - 27, 2003, the Sheraton Hotel

These are great posts, but I have a question. I've seen BJ's name thrown around on the message boards, but being a newbie here, I don't know what she does for PSA.

Can someone shed some light on her duties?

Thanks...see you in AC!

Mark
  • Options
    I was scheduled to go this year and had made arrangements accordingly. My daughter is graduating from A&M next week and have relatives and friends coming in for the festivities. The wife informed me that I could sneak out for the show, but not to bother coming back in light of the three ring circus that is our home right now. Four generations of the zardoz crowd is even more than I can handle.

When I informed Mike Castaldi of my inability to attend, he emailed me back and was quite understanding. According to Mike, Family comes before collecting cards.

I did not respond as I am still debating in my mind as to whether he is correct.....................

Next Year. AC !!!!
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    ZARDOZ - I hear you! My reason for a no-show is that my eldest will be joining the Marines in the middle of August, and I feel better doing stuff w/ the family then heading to Chicago by myself. I do plan on dragging the wife to Atlantic City though, she can hold my drink while I gamble, and will be in charge of my want-lists.
    Mark thanks for the info on the A.City dates & Zardoz, bring me in some "In & Out " burgers when you fly in...jay
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    that was great Dan. i enjoyed the pictures!... looks like you guys had a blast.

very very cool!
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    gemmintman,

Thanks for asking.

The first dealer I visited at this show was Joe Tauriello. He brings a near complete set of every year from the early '50s to the early '70s. His prices are reasonable and he's a terrific guy.

Joe Tauriello, eBay ID: set-builders

The second dealer I visited was Kyle Boetel.

Kyle Boetel

At one point, Steve Pekovich (doc), Mike Castaldi (mcastaldi), Erik Jarvi, Scott Tipton (kmas5) and Frank Smith were all at Kyle's table looking at cards. It was an impressive sight. Unfortunately, I had to sit and helplessly watch Steve Pekovich cherry pick a nice run of raw '69s. I guess I'll be bidding on them in PSA holders in 4 weeks on eBay. But later on Steve was a class act and gave me first shot the last part of the '69 run he found first. He also pointed me in the direction of some other dealers who would have some stuff that I need. Again, Steve is a class act and it was a pleasure finally meeting him!

It was an educational experience watching Steve Pekovich pick and chose and reject raw cards at the show. As many of you know, Steve is a former PSA grader. He also has the nickname "Doc" since he has a PhD (I think it's in BioChemistry). He shared quite a few interesting stories about his days at PSA. Again, what a great guy!

Steve Pekovich, CU ID "doc" and eBay ID "bauerfan"

I also met the newest '69 collector Ron Hobbs. A real nice guy too! He's on the '53 Registry too.

Ron Hobbs, CU ID "TWINSRON"

Some of my other favorite dealers include Paul Sjolen and Peter Eilenberg. Both have a vast assortment of raw cards plus some graded and both are highly recommended.

imageimage
    Paul Sjolen (left) and Peter Eilenberg (right)

There are a bunch of other dealers too, but too many to mention. In all it was a good show. I was hoping to find more cards in mint condition, but I think those days of going to a big show and finding bunches of raw mint cards are just a nice memory. Still, it was worth the trip in the cards I found, not to mention all the wonderful people I met plus visiting with all the old friends. Every collector needs to go to the National at least once in their lifetime.

• Options
    Dude, you have really out done yourself. I wasn't expecting a dealer pictorial too!! Great work!!

• Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Dude--You need to be official photographer for "REGISTRY"--The magazine!! I can almost envision it now. Article submissions, dealer and show reviews, etc. Anyways, have to chime in on Pete E. He is also one of my go-to-guys for Raw stuff and has always been fair. I'm hoping he hasn't been cleaned out before arriving back at the White Plains show Thursday.image

Glad it seems like everyone enjoyed the show and looking ahead to AC in '03!!

E
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    Awesome job, Dan. I feel as though I was there, too.

I nominate dude for Official Historian of The Registry Members National Club.

Is there a second?
  • Options
    I was at the National friday and I didn't know that everyone was getting together at the steak house that evening. I would have loved to attended and been able to meet some of you. I submitted cards that morning and I guess I should have stayed around and tried to meet some of you folks on the forum. Maybe next year.
    I collect the 1960 and 1961 Nu Card issues. I also enjoy the 1959 Fleer Three Stooges.
  • Options
    Dan,

Great posts and great pics. Am I ever jealous. I too had planned to go, but my partner also planned a family vacation for that week, so I deferred. I will not miss Atlantic City, though!

Did anyone meet Marshall Fogel?

Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    Great Post.... WIsh I could have made it to Chicago ... But this was family vacation week! Will definitely not miss the AC event next year as that is in my backyard!!!!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Dan,
    Great Job on the pic's, but you forgot to put one of yourself in there. I had a great time meeting the guys for dinner Friday night. Although the show was the main attraction the dinner made the trip. I think we ate in 30 min and talked for 2 hrs after. Next year we'll have to do it again, and I'd love to put it together. AC isnt Vegas but there are a few real nice places to eat and tell our stories. I know I made new friends and I hope everyone there feels the same.

Bob
  • Options

<< <i>Did anyone meet Marshall Fogel? >>

Buckwheat,

He was there. BJ told me that he just came by the PSA booth about 15 minutes before I arrived there. What a shame. I would have really liked to have chatted with him about the hobby. Maybe next year....

• Options
    gaspipe26 (Bob),

It was great meeting you! Friday night was a blast and I'll be at Atlantic City next year. Something tells me we're in for a much bigger crowd next year.

Thanks for letting me see your '69 White Letter Variation collection - the best in existence, bar none! Congratulations for putting that together. It's next to impossible.
  • Options
    Dan,
    I expect it will be bigger next year and thats great with me. I'll look forward to it.
  • Options
    Late1970sToppsLate1970sTopps Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    After flying 2,500 miles and completing eight hours worth of “honey do’s,” I’m finally able to log on the computer and check out my weekend purchases. Although I picked up some tough cards for my sets that I’m really happy with (including 1975 Topps PSA 9’s of Schmidt, Ryan, and #660 Aaron), I must say that above all I enjoyed meeting a great group of individuals. The unofficial “set registry dinner” was a blast filled with great stories, useful information, and a ton of laughs. It was an absolute pleasure meeting everyone in attendance. I would also like to thank Mike Castaldi for organizing a wonderful evening.

In addition, I wanted to set the record straight that I am NOT waittilltheytrytosell. Dan got the story a little skewed. How it went is that Wayne, Bob, and myself were having a conversation and Mr. Jokester (aka Wayne) told Bob that I was waittil as he remembered the “heated” posts that the two got into when Bob was selling his 1969 set. The comment got the exact result that Wayne had intended. Boy, you should have seen Bob’s eyes roll! After assuring him for 10 minutes that I was not the man, I think he believed me. Anyway, it was a great joke and got a bunch of laughs. Bob…one more time. I am not the man! Please keep selling me those 70’s cards.

Frank Smith
    fesmith68@yahoo.com
    Looking for 1975, 1978, and 1979 Topps Baseball in high end PSA 9 and PSA 10.
    Boys! Set a place for me image...jay
  • Options
    Dude,

As usual, it was another wonderful national and I enjoyed meeting many members of this board. I was pretty surprised over the amount of vending that is still available out there. I blew about $2K and I never made past half of the show!

mcastaldi,

I want to second all the accolades for the effort you put forth for the dinner Friday night. I really had a great time.

gaspipe26,

Thanks for the variation checklist book and sharing your astonishing white letter variation collection with us this weekend. I'm debating on whether I should go for a PSA 9 Reggie Jackson rookie or give you an offer you can't refuse for the white letter collection next year.image

acowa,

Great conversation Friday night. Sorry for the loud speaking and constant, "what did you say?". The table was filled with interesting distracting stories.

Frank,

Great 1969 Topps tales from the northwest! If you ever need any of my duplicates, then let me know. I am always looking to swap. If I have any centering questions, I'll be sure to consult the $30,000 apparatus in Oregon.

Ron Rittlinger,

Awesome 1968 collection and even better were the accoutants of how you acquired the greatest 1968 set in the word. Do you collect Elvis cards as well?

Eric,

It was a pleasure meeting you. Have you stopped laughing from Rittlinger's adventures yet?

Wayne8348,

Enjoyed your reflections on certain dealers at the show as well as your sets, especially 1965.

I just returned to Florida this evening and I am all ready looking forward to next year. By the way Dan, I gave in this morning and bought the PSA 9 1969 Popovich "C" variation from Bob Trefil. Its a real beauty.

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Options
    Amazing Dude - I missed the show but you made me feel like I was there. See you in Jersey next year for sure!
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Dude--

Absolutely amazing write-up, and thank you for the pictures. It truly personalizes the experience. I can't wait to join the festivities in AC next year.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Frank,

Thanks for clarifying that "waittiltheytrytosell" incident. I didn't hear the initial dialogue and when I asked later what that was all about I got some skewed information, but I was pretty sure it was a joke.

By the way, I really enjoyed listening to you regarding your collecting strategy regarding only selecting quality 8's and quality 9's etc. for your sets. I collect exactly that same way, and I know a lot of collectors that are "holder buyers". It's painful and tedious work to build collections the way we do, but it really pays off in the end. Good luck with your Registry Sets! I hope you can make it to Atlantic City next year!

Dan
  • Options
    Frank-

I would be interested to hear more about your 1975 Topps #70 Mike Schmidt card graded PSA 9. Care to e-mail me privately and tell me how much you paid for it? Also, do you have a scan available?

Great addition to your collection! All the best-
    MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Great posts Dude. I appreciate mcastaldi setting everything up Friday night.

Fortunately/unfortunately a 3v3 soccer team I coach made it to the Southeast Regionals this past weekend and I was unable to make Chicago. Our team finished 2nd, going 5-1 and being defeated by the 4th best team in the nation. We go to 3v3 Nationals in January. Those were great times.

But, it looks like great times in Chicago too. I received an update from Wayne regarding Nationals and his 1965 progress.

I am envious of everyone's weekend. Keep the stories/posts coming guys!

Brian
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Dan,

Thanks for bringing back some of the Nats with you. For those of us unable to go, you've given us a nice perspective of some of the activity. What a great job.

I would look forward to joining the Registry group at the next National - sounds like a great time!

Sky
    "Some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing"

"Give me a reason to fly, and I'll be there"
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I would look forward to meeting everyone at the next National in California (or even Vegas or Phoenix), but I may be dead before that happens.
  • Options
    BJBJ Posts: 393 mod
    Dan,

Thank you for your kind remarks. It was such a pleasure meeting you and the others who are so active in the set registry. Although the group is very mixed as far as what people do for a living and where you all live, etc., there is one common thread I noticed amongst you all. That is your incredible enthusiasm and passion for your collections and the set registry. I've said this before and I will say it again, it is your feedback and ideas that make the registry so dynamic and fun for all.

I think based on what I saw at this year's National I'll have to plan an "event" of some kind for Atlantic City. I was the lucky one at the show because I got to meet everyone. Some of you didn't have that opportunity. So with PSA's blessing, we'll do some kind of mixer in your honor.

Thanks once again, for making the set registry the success that it is. I appreciate every one of you.

P.S. Dan, the next time you're in Austin, give me a call!
    BJ Searls
    bsearls@collectors.com
    Set Registry & Special Projects Director
    PCGS (coins) www.pcgs.com
    PSA (cards & tickets) www.psacard.com
  • Options
    I think based on what I saw at this year's National I'll have to plan an "event" of some kind for Atlantic City.

Alright!!!

Carlos

P.S. Dan...You da Man!!!
  • Options
    BJ,

I agree that an organized PSA sponsored event should be planned for next year. Please keep us posted and I will gladly help when possible. There really is something special about the PSA collecting community and this event will certainly showcase that.

Thanks again for making the Registry so special.

Dan

• Options
    I REALLY ENJOYED SEEING SO MANY REGISTRY COLLECTORS AT THE NATIONAL--I WAS AT BOOTH 841 WITH MY FAMILY (TWIN BROTHER,SON ,FATHER-IN-LAW,DAUGHTER-IN-LAW,GRAND-DAUGHTER, et al)--I DID TAKE A PICTURE OF DAN MARKEL TAKING A PICTURE OF ME TAKING A PICTURE OF HIM, TAKING A PICTURE OF ME, TAKING A PICTURE OF HIM------- IT IS ON MY DIGITAL CAMERA, BUT I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO PUT IT ON THIS FORUM TO SHARE IT WITH ALL OF YOU-- (RON SANDERS IS IN THE PICTURE, BUT MAYBE I CAN AIR BRUSH HIM OUT--HA-HA-HA)---RON HOBBS
    TWINRON
  • Options
    Ron,
    I found that card and its on its way to you. I also threw in a couple of the 7th series CL with the white circle.

Bob
  • Options
    getupkidgetupkid Posts: 47 ✭✭
    I don't post very often on these boards, but I read them when I get a chance. The set registry community is really a special group of people with great passion. The 1st (hope to be annual) set registry dinner was a lot of fun. I thank Mike Castaldi for being a gracious host and tour guide as well as Funky Frank for hanging. Great meeting the rest of you @ the dinner and look forward to next year.

Dan great pictures and commentary (above), and no the I didn't name the Cherry Poppin' Daddies. When they were on Leno a couple of years back Jay asked them about the name and they replied they never thought they would be on the Tonight Show and that it was kind of a joke. Like "Free Beer" they thought it would look good on the marquee.

Along with the guys @ the dinner, I ran into Steve Pekovich, Andy (Perfectly Centered) Montero, Carlos Aponte and BJ Searls. It was a pleasure meeting all of them. My only dissapointment was that Frank Bakka didn't make the trip. He and Castaldi have been the most instrumental in collecting my 72's.

Thursday night MIke Castaldi, Steve Pekovich, Funky Frank and myself went to new Comisky to catch the Sox and Angels. Steve almost got attacked by a tough southside Chicago mob for wearing his Angels cap in the bleachers.

Dealers of note that had great stuff and have a lot of my money: Set Builders, The Ringman and Royal Blue Sportscards.

I look forward to next year!! Best Regards,

Erik Jarvi

This was my 2nd National and it was by far my best. I look foreward to next year.
    1972 Topps Baseball PSA 8 or higher/1978 Topps Baseball PSA 9 or higher.
  • Options
    Erik, Ron and everyone else,

Thanks for the nice comments. The write up and pictures were effortless. It's never a job to share a great experience.
  • Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927
    Dan

Great job for getting everyone involved in this years National. I was fortunate to have gone and picked up many cards for my 68 set. Also thanks secondly for getting something going for next year already. Everyone is responding positively for getting people together next year. It is messages like yours that helps get people motivated to do. Thanks Again Dave Jacobs
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Guys...

I can't wait for next year in AC. Its only a 2 hour drive (or 1 hour and 15 minutes without my wife) so I plan to see many if not all of you then!!!!

And thanks for sharing all of your finds!!! It definitely took some of the hurt away from missing it this year!!!
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Dude

How come you did not get pics of the now infamous Wentz? I would love to see what the action looked like. I guess we may be able to obtain pics from MW from someone over there eventually...

Leon
  • Options
    Leon,

There was just too much to do in too little time. I left Saturday afternoon. I wish I could have stopped at every dealer's table and talked to them at length and taken every dealer's picture as well as taken a picture of every Registry member that I met. Any dealer and collector who has been in the hobby for any length of time always has some great strories. One of these years.....

Incidently Leon, were you at the National?
  • Options
    NO, I can't afford a trip to Chicago to visit a card show! Maybe later on in life.

Leon
  • Options
    Dude-

You should be a diplomat with a response like that!