Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

www.truecardprices.com

I purchased some cards from Hometown Sports and they included a flyer regarding www.truecardprices.com which appears to be an attempt to track actual sale prices on ebay back to 1999. Sounds interesting, but I'm too cheap to pay for it (only 39.99/year). I think the past 30 days gives me all the info I need for '70s stuff, but if you were collecting very rare or odd-ball items it might be useful.
Working on 1969 through 1975 Basketball.

Comments

• Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I track prices extensively on what I'm collecting/own. The $40 sounds like a bargain if the information is any good. When I start a new set, I usually am coming in with little or no data on pricing.
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    I like the idea as well...Has anyone singed up yet?
  • Options
    I bought it for a month. It is good but there are some holes in the tracking of the cards. It does not have every card sold on the internet. But it is a good source. I'll keep it.

Buying 1957 Baseball PSA 8 or higher. Especially Checklists, and Contest Cards. Topps1957psa8set@aol.com
  • Options
    Just signed up for one month to give it a try. I ran a few searches of stuff I know pretty well, and there were major holes. There does not seem to be any consistency as to what data is included. For example, there seemed to be a fair amount of data going back to April of 2003 on the searches I did along with a few data points from earlier years like 1999 and 2000.

The big problem is that even on the recent stuff from the last several months there were tons of ebay sales missing on stuff that I know about (for example 1971 topps greatest moments or 1951 connie mack all stars). Another problem I see is that there is no way to know if the closing price met a reserve or not. I saw some very low prices on a few things from a few years ago (for example a 1968 topps 3-d perez in PSA 9 for $360) that I can't believe were real sales, but I can't be sure (I didn't follow 68 3-d's until about a year ago).

It would also be great if they added some features like listing which auction the sale was from (ebay, Mastro, Superior, etc.) as well as allowing you to chart historical prices for certain categories of cards. This could be a great service, even if they just start compiling all of the data from here on out, but right now it seems very new and unreliable. I hope they stick with it and improve the service because I would definitely be willing to pay for it if the data is reliable.

• Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    I can guarantee that there have been NO sales of a Tony Perez '68 3-d psa 9 for $360
    maybe they mean $1,360. In fact I don't believe that card has sold in psa 8 for less than $800 in the past 3 years. If so, it went way under the radar and can't serve as a meaningfull "real price"
  • Options
    I got mine for $850 in a private sale about a year ago (maybe a little less). I guess that supports the theory that the data on this site is not very reliable. Too bad because it would be a great resource.image
  • Options
    well let's give them a chance. '68 3-ds are out on the fringes after all.
    it really is a great idea to create a monster database of card sales.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Dave is right. Sounds like a good idea and for 40 bucks a bargain for those who have extensive collections. I have a nice Pete Rose collection, but his stuff is easy to track and I consider myself to be very knowledgeable in that area ... except on how to price a 69 Topps Rose 4 in 1. I have never even seen one.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    I agree. Sorry to be so negative. I hope it takes off and turns into a monster database that we can all rely on. That would really be sweet. Until then, I will just rely on Murcerfan, because I know he's got all the data stored up and easily accessible right up there in the old noggin. image
  • Options
    Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum

don't let 'em horn-shwaggle ya' matey