Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Tommy McDonald (FB HOFer) is a complete freak

You have to read the letter that I received from him, in response to my request for him to sign my Goal Line Art card. He actually cut up part of my letter and then stapeled it to another piece of paper and then wrote another page both front and back - in 2 color pens!!! This is good for a laugh.

Greg M.

Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

Comments

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭
    Man, what a weirdo! I know you didn't ask for his autograph so you could turn around and sell it, but if you decided to sell this crazy rant of a letter, I bet it'd bring a lot more than a cut signature. It's really a shame when people delve so far into religion like that they lose all touch with reality.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Wow, what sanitarium did you find him at??
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Ya gotta admire his conviction although it was a bit over the top.
    He could have signed his name in 2 seconds but wrote a 20 minute sermon instead.

If you really want you're item signed, how bout enclosing a check made out to
    him for $10 or so and state that he can donate it to his church.
    Then you are the one buying his autograph instead of selling it as he said happens...jay
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I would frame that letter and it would become part of my collection. What a unique conversation piece that would be!

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

OMG (no pun intended)...that letter is priceless. You received a much better piece than some random signed card. Do the guy a favor...wait till he croaks before selling on eBay. LOL
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    That is so much cooler than an autograph! McDonald is an interesting person. He ran a sports portrait company after retiring - he hired artists to do portraits then he would sign them and sell them from Tommy McDonald studios. They even fooled Lelands.

Joe

p.s. God loves the Montieth family. Spell it out!
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    see andre waters & teddy johnson

post-concussion depression and delusion

no fun being insane i bet?

GO BEARS
    julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

<< <i>That is so much cooler than an autograph! McDonald is an interesting person. He ran a sports portrait company after retiring - he hired artists to do portraits then he would sign them and sell them from Tommy McDonald studios. They even fooled Lelands. >>

I did not know that...I've seen numerous lots in auction catalogs over the years claiming he was the artist.
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    He talks about the paintings in this interview.

Quote, "I don't paint them myself. I have two artists who work for me and they do all the painting."

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    Looks to me like you got his "printed" autograph just not on your card! The slanted "Tommy Two Five Mcdonald" would be a signature seems to me. You just need to be able to add it to your card like the card company's are doing with the older deceased players they are using the cut signature of. He would be smoking hot if you were able to do that! He did spend some time with the letter even though some of it seems kind of childish. Evidently anyone asking for an autograph could not be into God anywhere near like he is - Jay's idea of sending him $10 for his church sounds like the best idea - he might really go for that. Rick
    "I CAN'T COMPLAIN BUT SOMETIMES I STILL DO" - SMOKY JOE WALSH - - -
    Always looking for 53 Topps Baseball and "stuff"
  • Options
    Maybe we are the freaks, collecting card board, and sending items to complete strangers for their signature.

Just a thought.

Peace

Doug
    Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    greg,

sorry to hear about that responser. but the letter is priceless. he must have taken too many shots to the head back in the day. i have been thinking that i was going to include a link to my set, so they can see what i am collecting. maybe that will give some of them who might have the same response the urge to sign instead.

jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe we are the freaks, collecting card board, and sending items to complete strangers for their signature.

Just a thought.

Peace

Doug >>

Definately food for thought. My favorite is:

Give me a G
    Give me an O
    Give me a D

What does that spell? Freak.

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you take all the words he has circled and de scramble them it reads, "Paul is Dead."
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you take all the words he has circled and de scramble them it reads, "Paul is Dead."
    image >>

• Options
    Give me an O

Here's something we can ALL use!! <pun fully intended>
  • Options
    We should have a contest for best TTM response. That letter is right up there with the response someone on these boards (can't remember who) got from that Olympic javelin thrower from the 50's who said you should exercise instead of writing letters through the mail for autos...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    homeboy was peaking on mescaline.

notice wavy lines and many connecting arrows.... he was prolly naked on a mountain w/ a frozen stylus and a palm pilot when he wrote this.

mail him again next week and you prolly get normal auto, ask him about his response this week and he prolly doesn't even remember.

julen
    needs a button!
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    reminds me of a time in the early 80s when i was 12 or 13 and i sent some cards to the denver broncos (the cards were from the 1980 set) and asked them to autograph and p.s. 'write back'. and they did....they signed the back of the cards...LOL. i then glued them to a scrapbook...argh.

greg,
    priceless piece.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    After reading that.......I don't think we can quite exclude the possibility that PANDREWS may have received Greg's letter due to some postal error and decided to reply with some words of infinite wisdom.
  • Options
    I would actually right him back and thank him for sharing his convictions with you. Explain to him that you are a good person (which we already know) and how you've been blessed with your family. I bet you would start and interestin correspondence that would transcend a plain autographed card.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>homeboy was peaking on mescaline.

notice wavy lines and many connecting arrows.... he was prolly naked on a mountain w/ a frozen stylus and a palm pilot when he wrote this.

mail him again next week and you prolly get normal auto, ask him about his response this week and he prolly doesn't even remember.

julen
    needs a button! >>

image i think its the most awesome letter ever..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>After reading that.......I don't think we can quite exclude the possibility that PANDREWS may have received Greg's letter due to some postal error and decided to reply with some words of infinite wisdom. >>

·p_A·
  • Options
    in all seriousness, you should follow his advice.
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>After reading that.......I don't think we can quite exclude the possibility that PANDREWS may have received Greg's letter due to some postal error and decided to reply with some words of infinite wisdom. >>

Actually, that thought did cross my mind. I read on the sportscollectors.net site where Tommy McDonald called someone on the phone and ranted and raved along th same lines as the letter.

I'll make sure to carefully screen my calls image

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Maybe we are the freaks, collecting card board, and sending items to complete strangers for their signature.

Just a thought.

Peace

Doug >>

Definately food for thought. My favorite is:

Give me a G
    Give me an O
    Give me a D

What does that spell? Freak.

Greg M. >>

I busted out laughing. Very, very odd to say the least. But as Jason said, frame it...it will make an interesting conversation piece!

BTW - Easley is on his way to you. image

-Josh
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    "I'll make sure to carefully screen my calls"

GREG - I'm sure you would have a blast talking with him.
    When was the last time any of us got a call from a Hall Of Famer?
    You can talk about scripture and then the Super Bowl image
  • Options
    Wow... just.... I wonder if that guy does what my aunt does... she likes to bust into a peppy gospel song while driving, taking her hands of the wheel to clap and sway.

Gotta respect his committment, but, two pages... two pages?!

If Hunter S. Thompson were still alive, he'd have loved that letter... if he hadn't himself wrote it.
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    unbelievable...

Frame it. It's definitely worth the price of admission!
  • Options
    I agree with the post that said you got a lot more than an autograph - frankly it was pretty decent of him to take the time to write down his thoughts on life & religion to you. I think he's pretty cool - if you don't want the letter send it my way...
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
    Hall of Famers from all 4 sports
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    That is way cool from a guy who had no need to respond to you.

I know we are making fun of it, but to him it's real - neat insight on a human being withing what we perceive from cardboard.
    Wondo

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    It would probably be mean of me to mention that he was one of the last guys to play w/o a facemask...

Actually, he was always a bit of a flake. There is a good NFL Films profile on him. He used to hang from hotel balconies and dance on bars.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>

Actually, that thought did cross my mind. I read on the sportscollectors.net site where Tommy McDonald called someone on the phone and ranted and raved along th same lines as the letter.

I'll make sure to carefully screen my calls image

Greg M. >>

Greg,
    Not only screen your calls but now this nut knows where you live. Don't be surprised if he shows up on your doorstep one day with a tin can asking for donations.

But seriously, a very unique experience to say the least. I've heard that back in his playing days he was quite the pranster. Maybe he now feels sorry for some of his past actions/jokes he played on other teammates and players. Now he's found religion.

I don't wonder he might have a screw loose too from his many playing concussions he suffered that were probably not ever diagnosed.

I wonder if he would ever walk into a card show and start ripping up cards of himself on dealers tables since the sellers are trying to make money on his likeness.

Rich
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Does he live at the Bates Motel by chance? I just had a flashbackimage
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Greg,

Two questions:

1)Would you sell that?

2)Would you sell it if I could find you a 63 Fleer buoniconti psa 8?(Not that I know where 1 is).

Jim
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Dav,
    No need to by it, lets all get his address, and I'll bet we all get unique letters back.
  • Options

<< <i>Greg,

Two questions:

1)Would you sell that?

2)Would you sell it if I could find you a 63 Fleer buoniconti psa 8?(Not that I know where 1 is).

Jim >>

Jim,

If you could find me a nice PSA 8 Buoniconti - the letter is yours.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Greg,

I got my main football guy all over it. This is the guy I use when I really have to get dirty and fight against the team of Jeremy and the Evil Empire.

Jim
  • Options

<< <i>Greg,

I got my main football guy all over it. This is the guy I use when I really have to get dirty and fight against the team of Jeremy and the Evil Empire.

Jim >>

Jim,

That's what I like to hear. May the force be with him....

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    As an Oklahoma alum, I've always been a fan, but wow.

Would you mind PMing me his address?
    Currently Buying:
    2004 Tommie Harris SPX Printing Plate (White Whale will pay top $$$)
    1994 SP Football Die Cuts PSA 10s