Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

World Series of Grading

The final round of the grading is tougher than my qualify round (round 4). Nevertheless, I don't think it is that tough. Here are the difference compared to qualify round.

There are more counterfeit coins. There are a few problem coins and much more classic coins.
I only remembered one modern coin (1966 1c). No Jefferson nickels, no standing liberty quarters, a few mercury dime, one 3-legged buffalo. Many classic gold coins (4 to 5) and many other gold coins, one 3 dollar coin, two gold dollars, many Saint double eagles and some liberty double eagles, and several Indian head gold coins. I only remember one barber quarter, one large cent, and one Indian cent. Of course, there are two walkers.

From grading point of view, there are many liners so that either you have to have some luck to score high or you have to know the coin to win.
Here are some examples, F15 buffalo, VF30 09-S VDB. For trade dollar, there is a spectacular coin that came from Silberman collection. I talked to TDN after the contest was completed and he told me that "It was on the line technically between 67 and 68 [there were a couple of small lines] but the toning put it over the top in my mind. Spectacular coin. But I know that Napolitano graded it 67CAM ..... ." With such kind of knowledge (in TDN's speciality), you will be in an advantage position for this coin. Also, there is an 1841 seated dollar, TDN graded it MS65. He said it is better than the piece in his collection. Well.... I also had one 1841 seated dollar (from Sterling collection) and mine has less hairlines. My bias costed me to score this coin.

There are many rare and high grade coins in the contest. To name a few,
1896 no star AU quarter eagles, 1907 high relief double eagle (very high grade), DCAM gold dollar, 2 other 18th century gold, mind-blower 1898 (or 99) double eagle, of course, 1878 proof trade dollar and 1841 seated dollar. Personally, I think these coins are at the dealers' favor and are the coins to separate between collectors' and dealers' scores.

The counterfeit coins are classic ones. The 1916-D, the cincy 50c, the $3 gold are obvious ones. I also marked 1797 half dollar as a counterfeit due to its surface. I wish I was right. We always saw many good coins that are in PCGS holders in coin shows. We rarely saw the dark side of the coins. In order to win the contest, you have to have enough knowledge of counterfeits. If you don't know the Cincy two raise marks on the hair, I bet you won't idnetify it is a fake one. I am surprise that Dave Hall did not put omega double eagle in the contest.

That's all folks. Lots of fun and I encourage you folks participate the next year contest. There is no perfect contest. If there are a few more coins in my area, I think I could do better. How many dealers can grade Ike dollars image
an SLQ and Ike dollars lover

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was blown away by many of the coins in the grading set. That 1878 trade dollar is one of my all time favorites. I used to own a Silberman coin and so did Nic ... but the 1878 put them both to shame. There was a 1799 eagle that was simply amazing - finer than the Jung coin, so I graded it MS66 [!!!].

I, too, called the 1797 half counterfeit. The 16-D dime I set aside as a possible fake, but couldn't get a good view of the mint mark with my inadequate loupe ... so I ended up grading it. Had absolutely no clue on the fake Cincy.

The gold dollar was a tricky coin. I ended up calling it MS. That era is known for prooflike circ strikes and I didn't feel it had the strike nor the mirrors to be a proof. Don't know if that was correct or not.

All in all, the experience was great. Well worth it to anyone thinking of participating in the future!
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    TDN,

I just checked the PCGS pop report. I did not see any PR68CAM 1878 trade dollar. There is on PR68. Did the coin get upgraded this month?

• Options
    Don't know. It's possible that the coin was graded prior to PCGS starting the cameo designations a few years ago. Or that PCGS calls it a PF67. Either way, it's a stunning piece of coinage!
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    tdn

nOW THAT YOU'VE WON $5,000 in the collectors division

1) Will you become a full time grader at PCGS ?

2) Take everyone out for steak and beer ?

3) Buy Laura a NEW wardrobe ?

4) Start collecting Lincoln Memorial Cents ?

Stewart
  • Options
    Actually, since you must have missed it, I've requested that PCGS donate the prize money to the YN program at the ANA.

But anytime you want a steak and a beer, Stewart, just let me know! image
  • Options
    TDN

Congrats on the World Series. Very generous donating the prize money to the YNs.image

Anyone have a link or info to the final results?
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Some quick analysis

1) 12.5% are counterfeits
    2) 22.5% are BodyBags (including counterfeits)
    3) 50% 20th century coins, 40% 19th century coins and 10% 18th century coins
    4) 12.5% coins are circulated (including 1797 fake 50c and 1801 tooled silver dollar)
    5) 45% gold coins, 40% silver coins, 12.5% copper coins and 2.5% nickel
    6) 32.5% under $1000, 27.5% between $1K and $10K, 22.5% between $10K and $100K and 5% over $100K (12.5% counterfeits have no value)

From the data, I think PCGS did a good job to select coins except there are too many gold coins (45%) and 25% of the 40 coins are between 1890-1932.