Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Kennedy MS registry coins being sold.

IM selling off my Kennedys not something I wanted to do, but things change from time to time. The set was headed for the # 2 spot and with a few more upgrades it would have been. So the set is being sold off, most of the best coins are already spoken for but there are still some nice ones left.

One thing I always looked for was a coin with the best eye appeal with as few nicks and marks as possible, the best speaks for itself with no description needed. I feel great I was able to have done another of one of the best sets almost all over again,

Please PM if interested in what coins are available not enough are left to call it a set it has been deleated from the registry:

Comments

• Options
    There is a coin there I would love to own.......BUT I will never buy it off you. It sickens me to see you exploit the registry this way.

Bill
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • Options
    keithdagenkeithdagen Posts: 2,025
    Anyone looking for some Kennedy upgrades should come here. Matt has a knack for finding some of the nicest Kennedys around.
    Keith ™

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill, I'm surprised at your response. I know Matt, and he is not an individual to exploit anything, let alone the Registry.
    I wish you could trust me on that because it is absolutely true. Honest.

Bciscan- I'm sorry to see you killing off this, your second Kennedy Registry! I know your Standard for coins and certainly each and everyone of your Kennedies is PQ for the grade and the series.

Good luck with whatever coin collecting pursuits you will engage in.

peacockcoins

• Options

I am not saying Bcsican is a bad guy. All I am saying is does everyone realize what this could lead to. If this is ok then whats to stop everybody that has coins to sell from starting a Type set registry or which ever one they have coins for, list their coins with prices and start selling them off. Then we can just call this the coins for sale registry.....
    If it is ok for a long standing member to do it then we can't really tell anybody else they can't now can we. I thought the BST board was for selling coins. Pretty soon every dealer in the country will have registry sets listed with price tags on each coin, when they sell one they can just delete it from the set and add another one they have and want to sell. That would be great for them, direct advertising/access to collectors in the registry.

I will really love this place then..............

Bill
    Bill

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Bcsican,

If I did the business strikes, I would be pleased to buy from you regardless of your advertising medium.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Bill,

There is nothing against the rules for this, and if someone wants to use the Registry to highlight Registry quality coins, that is there business.
    Keith ™

• Options
    keithdagen,

I am very aware it is not against the rules. That was not my point. This registry is and will be for the most part what the collectors here make it. We have to set the example. If we say this is ok then I guess we will just have to live with the results it produces. I guarantee you there won't be a whole lot of collectors left here when the registry has been turned into a big garage sale.

Just my opnion.

Bill
    Bill

• Options
    The Kennedy Registry would not be where it is today without the Langley collection. Until a year or so ago, it was the Finest registered set, bar none. He retired the set, then was in the process of building another set that would be equal or better to the first. Matt has paid his dues, and is a collector like you or I.
    Keith ™

• Options
    Bill, I understand you. But in this case, Matt didn't begin this Registry with the intent to turn around so quickly and sell it. I know, because he and I have fired back and forth PM's as he is (was) building it. Nowhere was there an indication it was going to be sold. If anything, my impression was it would be a set to last forever!

I believe gathering a bunch of coins together, registering them, and then selling them is wrong. But it is a Specific Intent "crime". If the intent isn't there then I am much more flexible with my judgement.

I do know what you mean though. If a Dealer knows in advance he is going to just use the Registry for his own gains that would peeve me off and I wouldn't solicite any of his offerings.
    He probably should be allowed to do it (as has been addressed in other Threads) but I wouldn't want any part of it.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Bill,
    this is no ploy involved it was just the eaisest way to eliminate the set before the set is deleted completly, my reason is to give registry set owners first shot, and read the descriptions before it ends up on the BST board, e-bay, teletrade to the average Joe, the sold signs is just to point out that someone else like the coin and it is gone.

Enough coins have been taken that the set will be deleated and then end up for sale on the BST board, I paid my dues, time and advice many times over, and I choose to make things easy on myself, not stress over thoughts such as yours.

As far as I see I let the Kennedy MS collectors have first shot at the coins, by letting them know it was for sale, to look the set over was easy for them to find at the site, and easy for me to let them know what coins were sold,

Then let the rest of the board see what is left, IM sorry you feel the way you do, but as I said IVE PAID MY DUES......

Matt
  • Options
    Pat and Keith, thank you for your vote of confidence you both and I know better the reasons

and Bill, the last thing I would EVER due is exploit the registry at what I worked very hard time and money to complete, despite what you think or feel.....
  • Options
    daveyndaveyn Posts: 150 ✭✭
    I see nothing wrong with a person offering other registry members first shot at some nice registry quality coins. I for one appreciate the advanced notice and would hope to have a chance at others in the future. I see no harm in a small message to alert anyone who may be interested, then handle the rest by PMs.

My opinion only,

Daveyn
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    In my view, the best way to advertise would be to list the coins with prices right here on the Board and on the BST. In the registry itself perhaps the most tasteful approach would be to add a sentence to the description saying that the set is for sale see the Set Registry Board or the BST board, but perhaps not advertise the coins by price in the listing itself. This is clearly a world class set, and in my view it does cheapen it a bit to advertise coin by coin in the registry.

Greg
  • Options
    Bcsican,

I am sorry, my statements were not meant to be an attack on you. I am sure you have no intent to exploit the registry and my comments were probably a little to strong. But I do stand by my convictions as far as the integrity of the registry and my fears about what it could easily be turned into.

Again my apologies.

Bill
    Bill

• Options
    The irony here is Matt didn't really advertise his Registry, only the availability of it. If someone was interested they had to do the leg work of looking it up and PM'ing Matt for further info (pricing/ specific coins-).

No where did I see a price list or any salesmanship. Just a simple info thread that even detailed in the Thread title the topic (so as to be easily avoided by uninterested parties).

peacockcoins

• Options
    For all concerned the set has been deleated from the registry it was done to help MS Kennedy collectors find and price the coin with the description, not to rouse everyones feathers.....I think I just created a new evil in the registry by accident.......
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Geesus mother of pearl, sometimes I read some of these posts and my blood pressure goes nuts. I could not believe my eyes that you were being brought to task for offering your set for sale here. I thought it was a nice gesture for the other Kennedy collectors to get first shot. I am truly sorry you had to endure that diatribe. I can't imagine how much time and effort you put into that set. Sounds like an old Ricky Nelson song, I went to a Garden Party, etc. So much for fellowship, it's just sad to me.
  • Options
    Geesus mother of pearl, sometimes I read some of these posts and my blood pressure goes nuts. I cannot believe how many times people misinterpret comments made here.

<< <i>I could not believe my eyes that you were being brought to task for offering your set for sale here. I thought it was a nice gesture for the other Kennedy collectors to get first shot. >>

No one was bringing him to task for offering his coins here in the registry forum to fellow collectors first. What was questioned was him putting price tags on his coins within his registry set and using the registy as a medieum to sell his coins. I would never have a problem with someone posting a thread here giving registry members and friends the first shot at purchasing coins and listing the prices. Then providing a link to his registry set so people could read the descriptions and see the coins if pictures were included.

Bill
    Bill

• Options
    Matt,
    Thank you for the show on those Halves. Not my favorites at the moment but it is great to see what is going on in some of the other series. This should be the place where coins of that caliber are offered and where dealers and collectors alike intermingle. It used to be that way I thought?

Now, I don't usually interject in these threads once it looks like it has gotten to far away from the subject and I thought that was Bcsicans' offering of registry quality coins to the rest of us reg heads. I just can't keep my mouth shut on this one. Bill, nothing against you here but my buttons got pushed I guess.

I for one would rather have the finest coins offered here regardless of who or why they were registered. Putting restrictions on who or what coins should or should not be allowed to be registered would only help in keeping those coins and sets away. I think. Wouldn't you like to know where those low pop gems are parked even if the set was built with the intention to sell? I would like to think that if a person was considering selling thier fine coins that this would be the first place they would consider but from the grief I see people are getting here for doing just that Im not surprised that more don't.

I can tell you that from what I have seen here on the threads, everytime there is an offering there is a problem with someone it seems. Its enough to drive me away. For all the problems dealing on Ebay its down right freindly copmparred to how things can get here! Its becoming a real headache. You offer coins and you get flamed. You don't offer coins and your flamed! You quote Ebay prices you get flamed you quote any price you get flamed! Where does it all end? Cats and Dogs living together!!! Now Im getting carried away. LOL! The idea of only being able to register a set if your NOT going to sell it seems extreme. There are some things that might be better said in a new thread or in a PM, perhaps? IMHOimageimageimage

Now I will shut up.

Larry
    Dabigkahuna
  • Options
    Everyone,

I know this is a dead horse but In my defense.

If you read all the threads I have responed to I don't feel most of you will disagree with me to much.

I have never flamed anyone for selling their coins on the forum be it a link to an Ebay auction or personel offerings.

I have also never advocated any restrictions for people registering their sets provided it is not a dealer registering inventory for the sole purpose of selling his coins. I have stated before the collector owns the coins and has the right to sell them whenever he wants.

Thread (please read my post)

I to appreciate it when registry members offer their coins for sale to registry members here first.

The only thing I feel is inappropriate is a person listing prices within his registry set or naming his set "For Sale"(that was done) using the registry as his personel place of business.

If you read all my previous post in this thread you will also see I have apologized to Bcsican for the apperance of personally attacking him for doing something he was well within his rights to do. I am not condeming him for what he did, I simply meant to express my opinion and dislike of it.

Bill
    Bill

• Options
    Has anyone ever seen the soup Nazi episode in Seinfeld ?? imageimageimage
    My eBay Items

I love Ike dollars and all other dollar series !!!

I also love Major Circulation Strike Type Sets, clad Washingtons ('65 to '98) and key date coins !!!!!

If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't we have more happy people ??
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I see nothing wrong with what Matt did. He has serious coins and its nice seeing someone trying to keep them within our fold. I bought 2 but now may let go one of the clad one (76clad) because Im probably gonna do an sms set. Either way, these guys are close nit and the history of the 2 i just bought is nice to know.

and thank god for people like Matt who let us little guys have a crack without having to deal with ebay.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    besides from what i see theres no longer any real estate being taken up by "said" set.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    Bcsican:

I would love to make a good home for some of those coins but my current financial state prevents me!
    D.A.M.N.!!!

I do thank you for droping me to number 14!!! Free of charge... image

Good luck in whatever series you'll get into next!!!

Rusty.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New BST on the Registry rule

once again, open discussion has served us well and BJ/PCGS has acted to avoid problems such as this again. now we can get back to more important issues. what about those cleveland indians........

al h.image
  • Options
    Matt: As far as I'm concerned, you did the Right thing by posting it here so we can get the first crack at it...

Thank You,

Rusty.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Matt: As far as I'm concerned, you did the Right thing by posting it here so we can get the first crack at it...

Thank You,

Rusty. >>

The issue was not posting his set here. The issue was listing the set, with prices, in the registry. As has been pointed out, he did it so other collectors could find them easily, and there is now a written policy about it. As before, you can still post about any coin you want to here on this forum (as long as PCGS will grade it, which makes it a registry quality coin).

I actually discovered what he did by a thread of one of the buyers, I don't recall his set being listed on this forum until well after all of the hoopla over using the registry as a billboard had started.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    It really amazes me how so many people can read the same thread and completly miss the point and not even understand what the discussion is about. Oh well!

I see A new rule has been established for the registry and is exactly in line with what I have been saying and was catching hell for.

New Rule Posted

I guess PCGS agreed with me and a lot of other members on this issue.
    Bill

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not good>>The only thing I feel is inappropriate is a person listing prices within his registry set or naming his set "For Sale"(that was done) using the registry as his personel place of business..Next we'll have dealers putting set's together from stock regerstering them with a price tag.Another ebay or what the BS&T board got to be with post's to ebay auctionsimageimage.Al
  • Options
    <FONT face=Verdana size=1>dbldie55 & WWBillman:

If you guys take your time and read the post you will see me saying thank you for offering these coins to Board Members!
    We have enough people using this board for Teletrade and eBay Commercials to help bring up their prices!
    I DID NOT discuss nor do I wish to add my .02c about the Registry...

Thanks,

Rusty.</FONT>