Home Metal Detecting
Options

1866 Indian - probably my best $$ coin yet

Made a little longer outing of the spot where I found the two large cents- got to work it for about 3 hours this time. Things looked to be off to a good start when about 1/2 hour in I saw this in my dirt pile:

My 7th indian of the year, turned it over and the obverse was a little more covered, but I could see the small date style and the third digit looked to be a 6 ! A lite rub revealed:

With a Good-4 price of around $40-$50, this is probably the most valuable coin I have ever found dollar wise- I know it isn't worth that because its dug etc.., but at least I can answer the people who always ask while I am detecting -"So, you ever find anything valuable?" - to date about $10-$20 has the most valuable coin I have found. Anyways, I think I might make a longer outing of it tomorrow if the weather holds out, bring the camera and some hiking boots along- the area is above a sunken sort of railroad track and I found a way down the hillside tonight, might walk the tracks a little and the hill. A monument on the site says the first railroad bridge across this line once stood on this spot etc.. Might be more in the brush and at bottom of hill. I ended with a total of just over a $1.00 in change, other oldest find being a 1951-D wheatie. Anyways here's a shot of the Indian after a soaking in hot oil / ice water dip:

The coin actually looked better than the one in my collection, so it will take its place. All together I have found 8 indians and all have been different dates, and include 1864,1865 and now 1866 - and I found these three in that order , if I can keep working my way up to 1878 now!

Comments

• Options
    very nice, 7 already this year!..thats' great..I can't wait to find my 1st one:joy
    putting together a MS 60 and up Morgan set....60% complete...otlher 40% probably take the rest of the decade!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Superb!

Not only is that a better date, but it looks to be pretty nice grade, too, and it cleaned up very nicely! That's better than a G4- I can see a lot of headband there. Any letters visible in LIBERTY?

Like you, most of my better coins are generally worth less than $10-20. It really makes no difference to me- the monetary value of most of my finds is a totally secondary consideration. But it IS nice to find something that's worth a bit.

This is my best Indian, and also one of my better coins in terms of $$ value. It looks much better in hand than in the scans, and has a full LIBERTY. The 1882 I found right next to it was even better, probably XF. Both were so shallow that I basically kicked them out of the sand with my shoe.

I am really envious of your hotspot, there. I look forward to tomorrow's pictures and finds.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Both were so shallow that I basically kicked them out of the sand with my shoe. >>

This coin was very shallow as well (but not in sand) - maybe an inch or two at the most in the dry soil at the edge of the hill, I was expecting maybe a penny or dime by the signal- the reverse put an instant smile on my face. Looking around the area I think a buried telephone line was placed nearby- as when they did the curbing work they placed tiny red flags on wire poles, most are gone now, but a few remain. Its possible they brought some of this stuff up in the past, weather looks good for tomorrow and I should have the time- we shall see! By the way, nice looking 68 there as well Lordmarcovan
  • Options
    I wish I could go with you!

The Swami says, "I see some Seated silver in your future..."

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Nice find! Listen to the Swami, he knows what he is talking about! image
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    that indian looks great. the only decent shape indians i find are the common ones. i have a few 1871 cents, but they won't sell for much. here's why:
  • Options
    Ouch, Brian- you can tell that thing was high grade, and the few uncorroded areas on it are really nice. That's a heartbreaker.

I'd still take it, though. image

I have an 1871, which is probably my second-best Indian. It's holed, though. Found it in North Carolina.

A lady here, who lives a block from my best Indian cent-producing park, found an 1872 while digging in her flower bed.

• Options
    nothing like an indian head to make your day...nice find dude...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Nice Indian!.......Great date.
  • Options
    Steve- you should post pix of that 1884 you dug while you were with me that day on Gascoigne. Yow, talk about well-preserved!

This is about the best-preserved one I've dug, but the picture makes it look weird. It looks better in hand.

It won Best Coin here the very first month we did the polls. (Really it was only a half month, which is why my humble IHC won).

• Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    What state are you in Kevin? And where are you finding all the IH pennies?