Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

stown's MS150 donation auctions

Before you ask, I did get permission from Carol and this isn't a scam image

Edited to add: I have exceeded my fundraising goal of $2,000 and I'm not sure how many more, if any at all, auctions I'll have. If you are interesting in just a straight donation, please PM me for details.

(edited to add current, closed, and upcoming auctions)

Running total of Collectors Universe contributions received: $681 (+$0 pending image )

Closed Auctions:

Jabar Gaffney autographed football: $110 by nightcrawler (paid, thank you)

Autoed Lot Duke Snider (PSA/DNA) and Al Kaline cards: $100 by IJustLoveCards (paid, thank you)

Brooks Robinson 68T PSA 7 & 07UD Auto /25: $40 by perkdog (paid, thank you)

Willie Mays Lot '63 (#138) & '66 (#217) PSA 7s: $60 + $15 cuz he's super cool by mdkuom (paid, thank you)

Bob Gibson signed '81 Perez-Steele PSA/DNA: $40 by drewsef (paid, thank you)

1959 Mickey Mantle #461 PSA 6: $55 +$5 cuz he's super cool by thedutymon (paid, thank you)

Clemente lot 59T #543 PSA 6 & 68T #1 PSA 7: $56 by and5zac (paid, thank you)

Nolan Ryan oddball collectable w/ Autograph: $40 by and5zac (paid, thank you)

Decide my avatar!!1!: $10 by Elemenopeo (paid, thank you)

1955 TAA Rockne PSA 5: $125 by ping4u43 (paid, thank you)

Byron Nelson auto PSA/DNA: $25 by daddymc (paide, thank you)

Current Auctions:

?!?!?

Upcoming Auctions:

?!?!?!?

As many of you already know, I'm participating in the MS150 Houston to Austin bike ride this April. This is the 25th anniversary and registration (13,000+) closed within a few hours.

So here's the deal: In the next coming weeks, I'm going to have a couple of "live" auctions here on CU. I'll put up an item/lot/whatever and people will be able to bid on it for a predetermined period (no more than a week). If you want to bid, simply post it within that thread. At the conclusion of each auction, I'll notify the winner and provide a link that goes directly to my donation page, which will look like http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/xxxx. While I would gladly publically post the site to get a crud load of donations, not everyone who views CU has pure intentions image

Some basics on bidding and the process:

1) To bid, post your price within the auction thread. For example, if you want the Gaffney ball, you would post your bid in the Gaffney thread. And so on and so forth with all upcoming auctions.

2) The only form of payment that they accept is credit card. I'm sorry but this is out of my control. If you absolutely, positively MUST have an item but don't have a CC, shoot me a PM prior to making a bid and maybe (even though it's extremely doubtful) we can work something out.

3) ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, NO REFUNDS. The money is submitted directly to MS, so I won't see a penny of it.

4) If you are new, have a very low post count, and/or an unknown around these parts, please PM me prior to making a bid. It's nothing personal but I don't want any funny business going on. Hypothetically, say Alias X wins, makes a donation, and then files a charge back on their card. Then, I'll have to contact the MS Society and explain why so-and-so took back their donation. While I want all the donations I can get, I don't want to deal with BS because, quite frankly, it's not worth the potential headache. So long story short, be prepared to provide a list of references, if needed. If you don't, your bid will not be honored.

5) If payment is not received within 3 days of auction ending, I will offer the item to the next highest bidder (like a 2nd chance offer).

6) Your donations may be used as a tax deduction. The National MS Society, Lone Star Chapter is a qualified tax-exempt organization, as defined in Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986. Please check with your financial advisor.

7) Your name will be not disclosed to people visiting my website; it only shows the total dollar amount I've raised.

8) I will consider cosignments on a case-by-case basis.

9) Auctions will not have a reserve and start at the low, low price of $1.00

Anyways, this will be a work in progress, so I'll probably need to add things as I go along. Feel free to ask any additional questions or need clarifications.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

Comments

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I look forward to it. Do you also accept donation for things to be auctioned by you?
  • Options
    I would like to send you a couple of cards for you auction, pm me your address if you are interested!
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Wow, thank you for offering. Seriously, I'm at a loss for words.

To be honest, I haven't thought about it. While I would prefer to keep everything in house, I'll consider outside donations.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Just wanted to share some pictures from my Saturday 55-mile ride, which benefited the Humble Lions Club.

There were +/- 750 riders and if I were to guess, only 10% took the 55-mile route. I completed the ride in 3:44 and averaged 14.5 mph, even though it started to pour rain for the last 10 miles.

As a side note, there's probably $20K+ worth of bikes, just laying on the side of the road in this picture ^

• Options
    Well, this weekend was pretty intense. I planned on riding 50 on Saturday and 50 on Sunday.. Unfortunately, a cold front hit us Friday night, so really wasn't sure what to expect in the morning.

When I got to Saturday's Bulldog ride, I was freazing my tushy off image It was in the mid to low 40s with 25+ mph winds. Yeah, I know, complaining about those temps don't phase some but this is Texas and it ain't suppose to be this cold. So anyways, I figured it would be better to ride 32 on Sat and then push 65 on Sunday. I assumed (doh) weather would warm up and the wind would calm down. You know what happens when you assume, right.

Anyway, from Saturday:

So I wake up Sunday morning and guess what?!?! It's colder image

Oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh fffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudddddddddddddddddddddge.

However, since I promised myself that I would ride 100 miles this weekend, I decided to do it, regardless of weather. In hindsight, glad I did stuck it out. Overall, I feel fine. Shoulders are a little sore from being huntched (sp?) over for 5 hours and a tad drained but otherwise, feel great.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    STOWN ... GREAT thing you are doing! I can sympathize with you ... I am on the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's "TEAM IN TRAINING" Marathon and Triathlon Teams. Here on Long Island it gets a "bit" cold during this time of the year. Sometimes we are running in single digit temps. But when I think of what it was like for my little girl to go thru NINE HUNDRED consecutive days of CHEMO ... training, no matter how tough it may seem at times, is NOTHING compared to what she went thru.

I just received this card back from PSA today. It's yours for your auction. Do you want me to hold onto it and mail it directly to the winner or would you like me to mail it to you? Let me know and GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CYCLING EVENT. You are helping to save lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE CARD IS GORGEOUS. WHY ONLY A "7"? TOP LEFT CORNER LOOKS LIKE THERE IS AN INDENTATION OF NO MORE THAN 1/8th of an inch. Never saw it.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Barry ... do you think I could trade this Byron Nelson Autographed Card for that GOAT that was for sale?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Barry ... do you think I could trade this Byron Nelson Autographed Card for that GOAT that was for sale? >>

Goats are in high demand these days but he may bite.

Du-dum-dum-ding.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work Barry!

BTW- I received my cards rather quickly- thank you!

• Options
    mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    Received my cards today as well. They look great! Thanks again.
  • Options
    No, thank y'all! Without your support and encouragement, this would be diddly...

Poor nightcrawler, though. Had to send his ball via registered mail to Canada and it finally passed through customs.

Hang in there buddy!

• Options
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    Got the Bob Gibson Perez-Steele a few days ago and it looks great. Thank you for working to do this for a great cause.
  • Options
    Stown,
    Paid.
    Thanks
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    The sheep just got real!

This weekend was the most challenging, by far, without a doubt.

Went up to Bastrop (just outside of Austin) Friday for the Pedal through the Pines ride Saturday morning. To get an idea of the elevations, click this link and look on the right side. No lie, people were falling while attempting to make it up several hills. I saw at least 15 to 20 people eat the pavement within 10 miles. It was so bad that a lot of people got off their bikes and walk up. Seriously crazy stuff. The first part went through Bastrop State Park... Quick elevation changes and sharp turns coming off.. I would strain to barely make it up, top 35 mph on the downhill, slam on my brakes, and then make a sharp turn. Obviously, pictures in the park were at a minimum.. I'm willing to take some chances but it was really that dangerous. In the end, I only did 50 miles since I was riding 67 the following day.

On to Sunday in Magnolia for the Continental Cycling Classing. Comparatively, not as brutal but still very challenging.

• Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Looks like a lot of fun...along with a little headache and a lot of work of course. Just the way i like it.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Saturday's 70-mile ride. Weather was in the low 40's with a constant drizzle. Not good times.

Only did 50-miles on Sunday, since we were expecting HEAVY rain. Got done with 5 minutes to spare, thank Jebus!

Kids, don't try ^ this ^ at home. Only experts should draft strangers at 20 mph image
  • Options
    I rode the Tour de Houston yesterday, which had in excess of 3,300 participants. Really foggy in the beginning but by 10 or so, it lifted and we had bright blue skies. It was, by far, my best ride to date.

70 miles in 4 hours and averaged 16.4 mph

• Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I will now conclude black is the most popular color for biker spandex shorts.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Great STUFF!!! My wife is the VP and CFO for Upstate NY National MS> She or I or both attend the local walks and rides as well as most of the fund raising events. If it weren't for people like you, the fight would not be able to continue. I am gearing up my walk team as we speak for the May 3rd walk here in upstate NY. Hopefully we can improve on last year's donation. Great work and thanks to PSA for allowing the aucitons.

Chris
    "I put my pants on just like you... One leg at a time. The differences is when I put them on, I make gold records."
  • Options
    From this weekend's rides.

Saturday, freezing my tushy off and with a 30+ mph headwind. Not good times image Intended to ride 80 miles but a sign got knocked down and I somehow ended up on the 50-mile route. However, it wasn't until after riding an additional 8 miles. So the total was 58.

On Sunday, it started off freezing but eventually warmed up. The ride was out in the hill country (Hempstead), so it was a tad challenging. Went 80 miles and averaged 15.5 mph image

• Options
    TTT for the weekend he's still a little on the short side of his $3500.00 goal.......................................................