Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Fake BuyBack Cards Lawsuit

Well Playoff has left me with no other choice than to file a lawsuit. I have too much time and money invested into these cards to just let it go. I have for the most part kept quiet about this but their unwillingness to do anything has prompted me to go public.

A lot of the BuyBacks that they put out in the 2001 Playoff Honors Football product were not BuyBacks at all but replacement stock that should have been destroyed.

If anyone has any questions I would urge them to email me.

DAVID12869@AOL.COM (David Peters)

If you have any questions for Donruss/Leaf/Playoff/Score I would urge you to email them.

Owner - ablake@donruss.com (Ann Blake)
New CEO - bdully@donruss.com (Bill Dully)
Customer Service Manager - cskidmore@donruss.com (Carol Skidmore)

My problems began in 2001 with a product called 2001 Playoff Honors. I really liked this product and was instantly drawn to it because of the BuyBack cards they had. The Hobby version of Playoff Honors had autographed BuyBack cards that were autographed and serial numbered, and quite rare. The retail Product had non autographed BuyBacks that were not serial numbered but thought to be quite rare.

I started to save them and noticed month after month that the retail versions were never listed in the Beckett guide or on Beckett online. I did notice that the hobby autograph version checklist was both in print and online and provided by Playoff.

I sent a few emails to Beckett asking why this was and if it would be included in the monthly guide or annual guide and have never gotten a reply. I then decided to ask Playoff about this since they submitted an autograph checklist for Beckett I was wondering why they hadn't submitted a retail checklist. Playoff did respond by saying they had submitted both checklists and ultimately they could not control what Beckett does and does not include in their guide. They did say they would be happy to send the checklist to Beckett again though.

I waited and waited and still nothing so I emailed Beckett yet again asking why these were not listed, again no reply. So I went back to Playoff and asked if they could provide me with the same checklist that they had provided Beckett. The lady at Playoff, Mrs. Stephanie DePaul who I must say was very nice and helped as much as she could, checked with he boss and said yes she could send a checklist for me in the mail but they wouldn't include any of the print runs. I told that would be fine with me as I just wanted to get any kind of checklist at that point.

Well the checklist was kinda helpful but also very confusing with some cards being listed twice and many, many mistakes. So after a few more phone calls and questions Playoff said they would post a list on their website that included print runs for all cards that were limited to 25 and more, the others with a print run of 24 and less they would list as SP's. Again I told them that was great and thanked the very much.

I went on to save more and more of them till one day I got an Emmitt Smith card that confused me. It had the Honor Roll logo stamp and was a BuyBack but it was also a very rare card that back in 1999 had a print run of only /13 cards. I researched the card more just to make sure and indeed it was a 1999 card from a parallel gold set that indeed was limited and serial numbered to only /13. I immediately contacted Playoff and asked them about it but no one seem to know. A Mr. Beck had gotten back to me but told me I was mistaken and that was a version that wasn't serial numbered originally back in 1999 so I then checked again to make sure I didn't make a mistake. After I was positive this time I then got back to Mr. Beck and told him that this was the gold parallel version from 1999 and they were machine serial number, I also provided him with proof of this. After a couple days he did get back to me and told me that Playoff must have bought back a rare error card that never got machine serial numbered in 1999. He said he was sorry for the mistake and that Playoff would be happy to trade it for another card. At the time I declined as I had quite a few other Buybacks and thought it went nice with the collection.

A few months down the road I am still happily collecting the BuyBacks and other rare cards when I can find them, when lo and behold I come across another one of the Emmitt Smith cards. This card made me very unhappy as Mr.Beck assured me is was just an error and was a rare isolated incident. One Emmit Smith card like this is a rare and isolated incident but two cards like this is a downright lie.

I contacted Playoff again but didn't speak to Mr. Beck this time, I spoke to a Mrs. Skidmore who was at the time the Customer Service Manager. She told me that it seems the BuyBacks they had bought back got mixed up in cards that were from their card library and she would check my list to see which were Buybacks and which weren't. Well ironically, at the time she said all of mine were BuyBacks and that only the two Emmits and a Troy Edwards cards were not BuyBacks. She seemed rather helpful and offered me some very nice autograph cards in exchange for the two Emmits and Edwards BuyBack so I accepted.

I went on still saving the autograph versions thinking they had to be real BuyBacks until a little more research reveled otherwise. It seems quite a few of the autographed versions were already autographed from the previous years and were from Playoffs library of replacement stock. I truthfully did not want to believe this until yet a little more research showed that some of these previous cards, if indeed were buybacks, should have a machine serial number on the card. By this machine serial number not being on these cards it proves beyond any reasonable doubt that these cards were not BuyBacks but were indeed old replacement stock cards from years ago that should have been destroyed.

To add insult to injury now in 2002 Playoff Prime Signature Tins Playoff did the very same thing and issued cards from 1999 that were originally machine serial numbered and in my opinion should have been destroyed. When contacted on this Playoff made it very clear to me that in no way did they call them BuyBacks but referred to them as "previously issued" cards.

When asked why Beckett had them listed online and in print that they were Buybacks Playoff said they didn't know and again said they didn't have any control on what Beckett prints. However the same week online the term BuyBack was removed not only from the 2002 Playoff Prime Signatures Tins but also the 2001 Playoff Honor Roll cards. Within the next month both were changed in print as well.

Comments

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    nice work..you should get in touch with cardcop and compare notes!

JS
  • Options
    I have always liked cardcop, while I think he goes about things the wrong way somtimes I do think he has some valid points of the happenings within the hobby.

I did notice his site is no longer there and that kinda sucks. If anyone has his email that would hel me alot.

Thanks

• Options
    Yea nice work...I think it is pretty stupid how they call them buybacks when they arnt, but to me it doesn't really matter figuring all the unautographed ones are next worthless anyways, just worth as much as that card was when it was originally put out. If we were talking about cards that were worth hundreds and hundreds of dollars and everyone was going crazy over it would be different, but even the autographed buybacks arn't too popular.

Seth

Lets Go Buffalo!

Seth's Cards

Trading/Buying all high end BILLS GU/Autos! ! !
  • Options
    Well that's one thing I do have the problem with. Beckett has never listed the retail versions and as with any card if Beckett doesn't price it it is worth as you said almost worthless.

Another thing is BGS will not grade them. Not that I like grading cards or would have them graded but it does throw up a big red flag as to why.

It's no big secret I do not like Beckett but when they don't even want to list the cards or grade them you know something is wrong.
  • Options
    A lot of the buybacks are damaged though, I have seen many with heavy scratches and dents, so many are ungradable. I wouldn't be surprised if Beckett was covering up for Playoff, there known to do the dishonest thing.

Seth

Lets Go Buffalo!

Seth's Cards

Trading/Buying all high end BILLS GU/Autos! ! !
  • Options
    Beckett is covering for them. They don't call them BuyBacks anymore in the guide. I will have to go back through a friend of mines Becketts and see just when it was excatly changed.

I am pretty much out of cards now anyway, it's just not fun anymore. I will save just a few thing here and there but nothing like I used to.
  • Options
    TTT for the herm.

Want to see if he will post the same crap here as he is on HI.

• Options
    u need to change your name to PlayoffSucks
  • Options
    This did not make it to court but has been settled.

I am unable to comment on the details of the settlement but will say I am satisfied.
  • Options
    what?????? this sounds like garbage...was the idea to get a bunch of nice cards or money or was the
    idea to bring playoff to justice? Which one of those happened? PM if you would like

Kevin
  • Options
    When I first started to save them I had no idea they were not real buybacks so I guess the main goal was to get Playoff to acknowledge their mistake and make sure it won't happen again.

The person I was in contact with was friendly and helpful and has assured me they are trying to do a better job.

If you want to PM me that's fine but please understand I cannot answer any specific questions.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I think it is all BS. Playoff probably had a good laugh and sent him a retail kmart pack. lol
  • Options
    wow, Playoff produces thousands of autographed cards a year, and sometimes they accidentally screw up and let a mistake slip. accidents happen, last time i checked Playoff's staff consisted of people, and people make mistakes. Playoff has a return policy on error cards, why the hell didn't you just return them and get corrected autographed cards? why did you wait till a few years later (when they probably have no replacement cards available) and then try to take em to court? can playoff countersue you for being a dumbass? is there a law against being an idiot?

oh btw, for anyone who doesn't know who this assclown BeckettSucks guy is, here's some background- he caused a huge ruckus a year or two ago because he sold a bunch of his cards on ebay, didn't use a reserve, didn't pull the auctions early (which is frowned upon, but still within ebay's rules), and then refused to sell them when the auctions ended because he thought the closing price was too low.
  • Options
    I don't see why you topped this thread, it sounds like Playoff handed you an envelope under the table
    and you took it without second thought! Now you come on here, say are you are happy as can be but
    tell us not to ask why you are happy? What is playoff going to take away your bribe if you talk? Heck I
    might just give Ann Blake and email right now and point her to this link!

What garbage, I hope it was worth it for you,but don't come on here and pretend you are in it to make things
    right, we all know what playoff did and know why it wasn't right, you just didn't have balls to say no to a
    few cards. Also congrats to beckett for sweeping it under the rug.

JS
  • Options

<< <i>wow, Playoff produces thousands of autographed cards a year, and sometimes they accidentally screw up and let a mistake slip. accidents happen, last time i checked Playoff's staff consisted of people, and people make mistakes. Playoff has a return policy on error cards, why the hell didn't you just return them and get corrected autographed cards? why did you wait till a few years later (when they probably have no replacement cards available) and then try to take em to court? can playoff countersue you for being a dumbass? is there a law against being an idiot?

oh btw, for anyone who doesn't know who this assclown BeckettSucks guy is, here's some background- he caused a huge ruckus a year or two ago because he sold a bunch of his cards on ebay, didn't use a reserve, didn't pull the auctions early (which is frowned upon, but still within ebay's rules), and then refused to sell them when the auctions ended because he thought the closing price was too low. >>

Dude you are a moron, plain and simple.

Read the thread then comment. It had nothing to do with error cards.

• Options

<< <i>I don't see why you topped this thread, it sounds like Playoff handed you an envelope under the table
    and you took it without second thought! Now you come on here, say are you are happy as can be but
    tell us not to ask why you are happy? What is playoff going to take away your bribe if you talk? Heck I
    might just give Ann Blake and email right now and point her to this link!

What garbage, I hope it was worth it for you,but don't come on here and pretend you are in it to make things
    right, we all know what playoff did and know why it wasn't right, you just didn't have balls to say no to a
    few cards. Also congrats to beckett for sweeping it under the rug.

JS >>

The agreement I signed stated I could not give out any specific details.

I also topped off the post I made on this same subject on cardedge because it is finally over.

As for taking the settlement without a second thought that is just untrue. Look at the dates of this post and the post on cardedge. This deal was over a year in the making.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>wow, Playoff produces thousands of autographed cards a year, and sometimes they accidentally screw up and let a mistake slip. accidents happen, last time i checked Playoff's staff consisted of people, and people make mistakes. Playoff has a return policy on error cards, why the hell didn't you just return them and get corrected autographed cards? why did you wait till a few years later (when they probably have no replacement cards available) and then try to take em to court? can playoff countersue you for being a dumbass? is there a law against being an idiot?

oh btw, for anyone who doesn't know who this assclown BeckettSucks guy is, here's some background- he caused a huge ruckus a year or two ago because he sold a bunch of his cards on ebay, didn't use a reserve, didn't pull the auctions early (which is frowned upon, but still within ebay's rules), and then refused to sell them when the auctions ended because he thought the closing price was too low. >>

Read the thread then comment. It had nothing to do with error cards. >>

oh so sorry, you were whining about non autographed cards in the other thread, so i figured this was about the same thing. again i'll ask, why the hell didn't you return them and get corrected autographed cards? every company will offer returns and make things right. why did you wait 3 years after the release date then decide to try to screw the companies over? you're an idiot for waiting too long, congrats you now have worthless cards

and i tried to read your letter to Playoff, but i stopped midway through because it sounded like it was written by a retarded chimpanzee
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Read the thread then comment. It had nothing to do with error cards. >>

oh so sorry, you were whining about non autographed cards in the other thread, so i figured this was about the same thing. again i'll ask, why the hell didn't you return them and get corrected autographed cards? every company will offer returns and make things right. why did you wait 3 years after the release date then decide to try to screw the companies over? you're an idiot for waiting too long, congrats you now have worthless cards

and i tried to read your letter to Playoff, but i stopped midway through because it sounded like it was written by a retarded chimpanzee >>

You can find all your answers in my original post. They weren't able to replace them because they werent real buybacks.

I contacted them about the mistakes as soon as I found out they were fake but they didn't want to do anything. At the begining of the year I conatcted them one last time and they were willing to work something out but it did take quite some time.

• Options
    so what about all the other people who have 2001 buy backs in their collection? Is playoff going to
    replace their cards, or only the people who show up with Lawyers?

No one cares about this if it didn't positively effect the hobby, the only thing that is affected were your
    pockets, no one here cares. It sounds like playoff had no trouble handeling you. Again I hope you
    are happy with what you got.

JS
  • Options
    thx for topping it cause i was losing sleep, and im sure everyone here was pulling out their hair wondering what happened
  • Options

<< <i>so what about all the other people who have 2001 buy backs in their collection? Is playoff going to
    replace their cards, or only the people who show up with Lawyers?

No one cares about this if it didn't positively effect the hobby, the only thing that is affected were your
    pockets, no one here cares. It sounds like playoff had no trouble handeling you. Again I hope you
    are happy with what you got.

JS >>

Playoff has fixed this problem for other people and if anyone does have cards that are questionable they can contact Playoff and they will fix it.

I think that is one of the things that I did help with.

At first Playoff didn't want to do anything for anyone with these cards.
  • Options
    could you explain how you have any right to sue anyone, when it was you who refused to sell cards to high bidders because you thought the auctions ended too low? c'mon you immature child, i'm waiting
  • Options

<< <i>could you explain how you have any right to sue anyone, when it was you who refused to sell cards to high bidders because you thought the auctions ended too low? c'mon you immature child, i'm waiting >>

I have explained this over and over in other posts. I actually sold the cards to the other high bidders.

Allen never paid.

He contacted other ebay members and was harrasing them. He was sending me emails actually threatening me and like I said the bottom line is he never followed through with payment.

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I never contacted any other bidder. I never harased you. You dug your grave, so lay in it. You tried to screw me over on shipping to. You said you combined shipping charges. then you said $4.00 for the first item and $3.99 for each additional. Within a week you were No Longer a Registered User. So I was not about to send money to someone who was already removed from eBay and was such a Don West like person
  • Options

<< <i>I never contacted any other bidder. I never harased you. You dug your grave, so lay in it. You tried to screw me over on shipping to. You said you combined shipping charges. then you said $4.00 for the first item and $3.99 for each additional. Within a week you were No Longer a Registered User. So I was not about to send money to someone who was already removed from eBay and was such a Don West like person >>

You are such a liar and I can prove it. Go back into the original post and read my comments.

I have well over 1000 positive feedbacks online on different websites I sell on and you my friend are the ONLY person I have ever had a problem with.

I never respond to your posts and I will now ask that you just leave me alone and quit causing trouble.

If you do not leave me alone I will report you to the moderator for harrassment.