Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A question about PCGS slabs.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has PCGS changed their shell recently or is it the same as it has always been??

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is thicker...
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes quit a bit.

• Options
    I knew that there had been changes made but I just never had seen a slab to compare with an earlier one with the same insert style. the shell is noticeably thicker, the stacking tabs are different, the corner logo is smaller and the plastic is clearer.
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I've heard they've made quite a stink that they no longer fit in the "other company's" boxes.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if there was "transition issues" as I have several with white stress marks on the sides, and one with chunks missing out of the sides, couldn't have been shipping damage as the pieces weren't in the blue box, just a broken slab
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    this is interesting from a "slab" collectors perspective. most varieties as catalogued by conder101 were actually better described as Insert Varieties while the shell remained the same. the "slab" varieties were the rattler shell, the three piece transition shell, everything up till this one which I think went unchanged and now a newer tamper resistant shell.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was the May 2015 introduction when they fully transitioned to these or did they still use the normal slabs for a while?
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They certainly don't fit into NGC boxes...not even close. They also don't fit into the two end slots on their own PCGS boxes. I am still undecided...oh well....
    Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new PCGS slabs do not even fit too well in the PCGS boxes. A little too tight.

However, strangely enough if you turn the PCGS slabs upside down, they fit great!!

ROFL!!!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They certainly don't fit into NGC boxes...not even close. They also don't fit into the two end slots on their own PCGS boxes. I am still undecided...oh well.... >>

When they don't fit in one of the end slots of a PCGS box, just turn them around so they face the other direction, they'll then fit in those slots perfectly... a little inconvenient, but it works.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The new PCGS slabs do not even fit too well in the PCGS boxes. A little too tight.

However, strangely enough if you turn the PCGS slabs upside down, they fit great!!

ROFL!!! >>

Are they tapered on the label region?
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file