Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Inverted Dates on U.S. coins

oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
I saw a thread from MS70 about his 1858 H10 Inverted Date and replied that I would like to add an "Inverted Date" to my Variety collection, but that spot (Half Dime (stars) is already filled with a nice 1845 H10C RPD) so I was looking for other inverted dates, so far I have found the 1844/81 and 1851/81 N-3 Braided Hair Large Cents, but I am certain that there are others...do you know of any that are obtainable without breaking the bank?
oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1865-S $10 with inverted date is actually the common variety for the year, but neither is cheap. Go with one of the large cents.

There are a few coins from the 1830's with just the 3 over an inverted 3.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few from 1961 . . . image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a comedian in every thread...congrats it's you Overdate! Nice one.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the rarest inverted dates is the 1852 over inverted date 3c silver. PCGS has certified only 2 coins of this rare variety, a VF-35 and a VG-10, both of which I found several years ago.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are a few coins from the 1830's with just the 3 over an inverted 3. >>

1834 half dime
    from http://www.usacoinbook.com/coins/756/half-dimes/capped-bust/1834-P/3-over-inverted-3/

1836 half dime
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gotta believe it was not a good day for the guy who did the punches when they had to 'fess up to the engraver that they screwed up the date.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1809/6 Half Cent.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file