Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Research Service Offered – past Auction Catalog Content Search (Sotheby, Spink, Christies, Glendinin

I will be reviewing about 750 auction catalogs in my library for a research project. At the same time, I’m offering a paid search service to assist other peoples’ research projects – essentially piggybacking.

The catalog group being reviewed will consist of:

Sotheby’s 1951-2007
Parke-Bernet 1946-1980
Spink 1973-2014
Christies 1959-2011
Glendinings 1951-2001

The majority of these catalogs originated in Europe and were not widely distributed in the US. Therefore, they are lacking from many libraries over here.

The content is typically 75% ancient and world coinage, but there is also a good representation of American Colonial coins, early Federal coinage, US gold, and early US medals.

Because the content is inconsistent, many people avoid spending what would be thousands of $ to add the above items to their libraries without knowing the content.

Is there a particular coin or coin series for which you are:

Creating a census of known examples?
Creating a register of auction appearances?
Seeking the provenance of a special piece?

The basic search service would consist of:
I provide a full Excel spreadsheet via email that will confirm whether or not a particular item is present and whether or not it’s illustrated. The cost for this would be $195, prepaid. This fee would include (10) scans of said material. Additional target items, scans or services would be extra (I will quote). This is about $0.25 per catalog lookup! Results will be provided by 1/11/2015.

Note – my library DOES have some significant gaps within the time periods given above, but what’s available is still a HUGE chunk of material! More detail is available upon request.

Please confirm your interest by THIS FRIDAY, 12/26.

Please PM me or send an email: numismatics@att.net

Happy holidays to all!

Bryce Brown

Comments

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Bryce,

Neat project. For your own benefit, are you digitizing the catalogs, or are you manually referencing each catalog to look for a particular issue? I agree with you that attempting to assemble the catalogs in your library would be a daunting task.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file