Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Custom "coin" -- need help finding where I might be able to get this done

Hey all. I'm trying to find a place where I could provide an image or item (an Eagle, Globe, and Anchor) and get it pressed onto a particular size planchet of .999 silver.

In the end, I'd like this "coin" (well, many of them) to be able to be "welded" or soldered onto a silver band. In the end, it'd be quite the unique ring.

I've thought through doing this myself, but I would have to build a mold, melt the silver, and pour it, hoping that it would come out with enough detail, and that doesn't pan out in my mind.

Does anyone know where / who could do this??

I'd be in your debt if you could point me to somewhere/someone who could help me out!

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    being i worked in an investment casting foundry
    i can say this

you'd be surprised with how sharp details can be in a loss wax mold method

ya see we made parts in wax
    coated them in ceramic
    then baked the wax out with flow channels
    then poured in whatever alloy was called for
    then processed the ceramic off...chipping off followed by media blast....to even metal safe acid/chemical soaking
    then machined off the holding ribs and flow channels

one could substitute the ceramic with plaster of paris or something more home based and safe

cost to machine a die and press out pieces might hold one back if quantity desired is short run or limited

could be a fun lil project to tinker with in a "loss wax cast"
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    TonerGuyTonerGuy Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    Just use silver clay. Its much easier, a bit more expensive but you can do it at home without any special high temp kilns.

http://jewelrymakingjournal.com/getting-started-with-silver-clay/
  • Options
    I think your best bet for multiple copies would be to talk to a jewelry silversmith.
    I make my own ceramic molds for casting a custom lead head fishing jig and get many castings from these molds.
    I think your looking for a final product that is much more intricate.
    email me with a sketch of what your looking for and I might be able to give you a few pointers as to the process.
    Skip

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file