Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newp: 1820 Bust Quarter - Guess the Grade ***Grade Revealed***

Picked up this 1820 B-4 recently. Pretty common variety, but one that I didn't have.

What would you grade this coin?

Comments

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    F-15
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin too!
  • Options
    F-12

Dozens of BST deals completed, including: kalshacon, cucamongacoin, blu62vette, natetrook, JGNumismatics, Coinshowman, DollarAfterDollar, timbuk3, jimdimmick & many more
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin. Fine 12
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fine 12....A very nice piece for the grade I might add. Very clean & free of any blemishes..
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    F12 is tops IMO
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    VG11
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    F-12
    Nice coin.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will go with 12. Nice coin.
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin. Vg 10
  • Options
    VG-11
    Persuing choice countermarked coinage on 2 reales.

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty nice coin, I'll give my opinion before looking at the other guesses, VG10, I like the surfaces, but I like to see a little more of the eye and clasp on a Fine. Even so, the surfaces are above average so I grade such coins VG11, but then there's the skitch from the T through the hat to the rim, so I'm back at 10. Will hit reply and then compare...

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    like a vg10 with a f12 reverse

vg10 i'd round it off as

an honest wholesome piece for its grade level
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭

...And a very nice one at that! image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice coin. Vg 10 >>

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VG10 for detail and F12 for look. PCGS F12 and NGC VG10 is my guess.

Any no problem 1820 with small 0 is about 10 times as scarce as the Large/Medium 0 variety yet sells for no premium. Pretty cool…

• Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    ***Grade Revealed***

NGC graded the coin VG8.

I thought it looked like a solid 10, possibly 12, and I really liked the surfaces so I was happy to give 8 money for itimage. It seems like most agreed and thought that it looked like a VG-11.

I appreciate all the responses...it's fun to see a bust quarter thread get some traction...these guys are hard to locate (even in the lower grades like this)!
  • Options
    Cool thread and nice B4. the 1820 B4 was my first large sized capped bust quarter and the one that got me hooked, but for some reason I don't have a solo picture of that one handy, it's in similar grade, here are B1, B2, and B3

• Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    Baley - I like all three, but I especially like the B-1! Very nice.
  • Options

<< <i>Baley - I like all three, but I especially like the B-1! Very nice. >>

Wai.. wha? the raw one?!?

(Actually, the others are raw now too)

Here's my filler B-5 until an nice VG comes along.. my favorite grade for these coins

[just trying to keep a bust quarter thread alive, good BQ threads are as rare as some of the coins image

• Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> [just trying to keep a bust quarter thread alive, good BQ threads are as rare as some of the coins image >>

Normally I don't like to post photos in someone else's thread unless invited to do so but Baley makes a good point. Any bust quarter thread is worth a bump to keep it going!

Here's my 1820 B-4, graded F-15 CAC, for comparison to the OP coin (which looks undergraded to me based on that photo but perhaps there's something else going on that isn't obvious):

JH
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VG-11???????
    Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file