Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Charmy's September 2014 LAS VEGAS PALACE STATION Show Report w/lots of Pics!!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is the last Las Vegas Coin show at the Palace Station, which is on the west side of the 15 freeway just past the Rio. The next show in December will be held at the Riviera which is on the north end of the strip. Although the Palace Station is easy to get to with lots of parking, I’m looking forward to a change from the Palace Station. We’ll see if the Rivera is an improvement.

Since I have free rooms at the Rio, I decided to arrive the day before set up so I could hang out and relax a bit.

This is the daytime view from my room looking west from my window (the spots are the sparkles from my cell phone cover).

And the nighttime view

Set up was at 2pm on Thursday – the dealers began lining up at the doors early, including me!

After I was all set up and took a walk around the room to see what I could find, it was time to break out the bottles of wine I had brought. M table soon became popular with my dealer friends and the first bottle of wine didn’t last long!

After set up, we went back to the Rio, had some dinner, then hit the gaming tables (this is Logan playing the slots before we headed over to the poker room). Logan and I played at the same 1-3 no limit game for several hours, even enjoying a welcomed massage while playing! I walked away about $500 ahead – wahooo!

On Friday, the show opened to the public at 10am – and there was a nice crowd that filled up the room.

Logan “manning” his table!

The Las Vegas Coin Club volunteers working the registration table

This is a very interesting error with an old ANACS certification card I picked up at the show. I’ve never seen an error with one of the old ANACS cards before!

These are some of the unusual items I saw in Jim Cauley’s case

In the lobby, there was a very fascinating display of Civil War memorabilia, as well as a couple guys dressed in Civil War attire manning the display

One of our dealer friends, Robert Higgins, recently lost his 26-year old son Richard so there was a beautiful memorial tribute at the front table for him.

Saturday was not nearly as crowded as Friday, but there was still a fair amount of business being conducted throughout the day

Chatting with one of my favorite dealer friends – Glen Holsonbake!

My bff Cindi Snow working the ANACS table, with a photobomb by Steve Price from Stacks Bowers!

Even though I’m not a silver fan, I always enjoy seeing scarce coins in any series.

This large cent has a very neat bold die break through the middle of the coin, and a huge cut on the rim at 10:00-11:00.

Saturday night we headed downtown to Fremont Street. It’s such a fun place, with a Mardi Gras party atmosphere.

I took a lot of photos of the crazies, most of which I can’t post due to their “graphic nature” but here are a few of the more tame photos:

They even had two live bands playing great rock and roll music!

I love the frozen drink smoothies, especially the one that tastes like a banana popsicle – this one contains 151 rum! Cindi’s drink was a combination of the banana and pina colada.

Fremont Street isn’t exactly the best place to bring kids….

Sunday as predicted was not very well attended. I made a couple sales, then it was time to pack up and head home. Overall, I did very well at the show, better than I expected. I had bought a lot of coins at the Long Beach show last week, so a couple of large sales included coins from my new purchases.

The drive was slow since there were a lot of people leaving Las Vegas at the same time. I was able to snap this photo of the “lake” that was leftover from the severe storms Las Vegas had last week that destroyed part of the 15 freeway north of Las Vegas.

I love attending shows in Las Vegas and look forward to the next one in December – or perhaps even one of the PCGS Invitational shows sooner!

Next up: The Santa Clara show in a couple days, then a week’s rest, followed by the Buena Park and PNNA Portland shows!
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got married in Vegas a long time ago - stayed at the Riviera.

One of these days you might just see my smiling face on the other side of the table!

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Great report and photos as always Charmy.
    Thanks! Gives a real feel for the show and whole scene!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to say that the Palace Station shows are one of the best shows in my book.......I'm still sad I couldn't make it.image

And now the show is moving to the Riv.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I notice in an image of Binion's that they are advertising getting your picture taken with $1,000,000.Did they get 100 more $10,000 notes?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭
    thank you for postingimage
    Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭
    I love Fremont street! The guy with the kids looks so sad, he probably needs a drink image. Also, that woman with the snowman image.....image....image....image
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report! thanks for posting it.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have to say that the Palace Station shows are one of the best shows in my book.......I'm still sad I couldn't make it.image

And now the show is moving to the Riv. >>

Palace Station
    Rio
    Riviera

Having never been to LV, what's to miss at PS?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love Fremont street! The guy with the kids looks so sad, he probably needs a drink image. Also, that woman with the snowman image.....image....image....image >>

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Relics and Coins is going to go crazy when he sees that Anacs photo certificate!
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report, but you could have included more of the "crazies".
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report! I stay on Fremont Street for three nights each year, during the Super Bowl weekend....lots of fun, for sure....but the street performers....very strange to say the least!!!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    Thanks for the report, Charmy.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for another interesting report.
  • Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Great report - Thanks imageimage
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Coins and Booze ! So good together. Reminds me of Detroit culture. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file