Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG.......Rainbow 1945-D Jefferson Nickel....Grade posted

Wondering if this is one worth resubmitting. Depending on the crowd consensus, I may send it back in.

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be good to know the current grade to help with the decision.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like no to FS.
    I could see it as a high 65 or a 66. My first thoughts were to 66/67 but I am thinking that there may be things showing at an angle or slight lighting difference that seem to be just out of vision/hidden that are keeping the grade down. The small hits we see in the photo may be worse at a different angle (I have seen that a lot before) and so I am thinking it was given a 65.
    I like the toning, and the year.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>It would be good to know the current grade to help with the decision. >>

That's why he said "GTG" (Guess the grade".....so as to get honest opinions from grading a photo image
    (if he gave the grade, many would gravitate to that and then not try to be as honest in their assessment)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    66 5 steps?
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    Great coin! MS66FS all day! I've seen MS67FS coins not as nice as this one!
  • Options
    coinguy1989coinguy1989 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭
    66 FS
  • Options
    You guys must see a step in the shadowed area I don't see.
    It looks cut to me everywhere but in the shadows which is why I said "no FS".
    If I am missing the step there, then, given how the rest looks, I would agree it is FS.

• Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    Looks 66FS to me also
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Common date in full step. Like others have said, 66FS. Congrats.
  • Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    Technically I see it as a 66FS. The small carbon spots do not distract from it as I see them as a sign of original toning. The graders may have knocked it down to a 65/65+ as seeing them as a negative. If they didn't give this one FS it wouldn't surprise me as I've seen worse lol.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no fs in my book. 67 perhaps a +

i also concur that knowing the current grade and cost is vital to recommend for resub, even if one is just dreaming.

very nice images. only thing i'd say is that the rev had the light get a bit too high and/or close. it happens and is hard to see from the live view.

edited to add, it may help to state where you are considering the resub to go to. some big differences in the TPGs. 1 step is a big diff in my book, or lack thereof image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Crazy4CoinsCrazy4Coins Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭
    Consensus and assigned grade are in agreement. Thought maybe there was an outside chance of 67.
  • Options
    Do you gamble?
    What's the value difference between 66 and 67 (FS)?

It does likely have "a chance", and may get a + if you said that was ok, but it may not happen on the first resub....so you just have to figure out how much it is worth

• Options

If the OP does not mind I would like to add a question to his post about a 1942 D Jefferson that I
    have graded in a PCGS OGH. The coin is graded MS 67 which is probably correct but this coin has
    some of the fullest steps I have ever seen and a few Jefferson collectors also concur. Now here is
    the question. Should I send it to PCGS to see if it will get the FS designation and either a decrease
    or a increase in grade? I have been told that back then the OGHs didn't get FS since it wasn't a
    determination recognized at that time. I am sorry that my Brownie nor my Polaroid or the Lexmark
    3 in one can get a good enough picture to show what I can see.

Or option B, leave it as is? I all ways like to say that " option B " from the way Dewayne "The Rock"
    Johnson did in "The Rundown". image

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely Maybe, although the nick in his head may not.

<< <i>If the OP does not mind I would like to add a question to his post about a 1942 D Jefferson that I
    have graded in a PCGS OGH. The coin is graded MS 67 which is probably correct but this coin has
    some of the fullest steps I have ever seen and a few Jefferson collectors also concur. Now here is
    the question. Should I send it to PCGS to see if it will get the FS designation and either a decrease
    or a increase in grade? I have been told that back then the OGHs didn't get FS since it wasn't a
    determination recognized at that time. I am sorry that my Brownie nor my Polaroid or the Lexmark
    3 in one can get a good enough picture to show what I can see.

Or option B, leave it as is? I all ways like to say that " option B " from the way Dewayne "The Rock"
    Johnson did in "The Rundown". image >>

That's a tough choice and could be risky, However, either way if you were to sell it, your aim would be a serious Jeff collector.
    Its a double edged knife image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    If you have a newer cell phone you can always use that camera to take the pic. If you are using an android smart phone go to the play store and get the free app called open camera as this will make your phone camera much more usable. After you take the pic you can just email it to yourself then upload to photobucket then post it here for us to see. I say this as the FS designation is valued a much higher price point over the MS. We really need a pic to help you out the best.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got a steady hand? With a very pointy toothpick and under high magnification I would remove any carbon spotting.......above Jefferson's head, on the E in Liberty, back of neck if they are there. A 67 should not show carbon spots if that's what you would expect. My 1938-S once had a carbon spot......until I removed it, that is. My 1941 Proof 67 presently has a carbon spot..........bought it that way......slabbed. Can't think of any others. Oh, a 45-S..........I just knew I had another but that's about it.

Leo image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file