Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Semi-historical piece of numismatic real estate. Empire Coin Co., Inc.

sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been by here hundreds of times but never noticed it. The exterior may have been covered for some time.
Oh to be a fly on the wall during late 50's, early 60's.
Imagine the conversations, correspondence and coins that passed through here.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Comments

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the location?
  • Options

<< <i>What is the location? >>

Good question, sorry.

252 Main St.
    Johnson City, NY

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

• Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    I was going to say, that if the building is in Johnson City, NY, then it's probably QDB's first office.

Sparky64,

You should definitely send that picture in to the E-Sylum!

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was going to say, that if the building is in Johnson City, NY, then it's probably QDB's first office.

Sparky64,

You should definitely send that picture in to the E-Sylum! >>

Cool!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's one of Dave Bowers 1961-62 circa HK-854A White Metal Continental Dollar SC$1 re-strikes counter stamped with his Empire Coin Company store card during his early days with partner Jim Ruddy. The store card obverse motif is copied from the 1787 IMMUNIS COLUMBIA copper and the reverse from a $5 gold coin of 1795 these being the Empire Coin Company trademark. The obverse states Empire Coin Company Inc. and the reverse Professional Numismatists.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Amazingly awesome and timely Broadstruck. image

• Options
    CoinCastCoinCast Posts: 508 ✭✭✭
    Very cool! Wish I lived closer.

Numismatist @WitterCoin

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing that it's still there. Someone should buy it quick, before it's too late. QDB might want it, or perhaps the ANA for use in some sort of exhibit.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

This thread is super cool!

Everyone on the forum should pool money together and we can buy it as a group. It will be like a timeshare, where each member who contributed can use it for one week per year, assuming that there are 52 of use. We can turn it into a man cave with a numismatic flair! Who's in?
  • Options
    Andy,

Since Johnson City is just west of Binghamton, I'm not sure it's particularly well situated to be a numismatic tourist destination. image

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    I would hate to see it become an office space for a plastic surgeon like this one did:

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options

<< <i>Andy,

Since Johnson City is just west of Binghamton, I'm not sure it's particularly well situated to be a numismatic tourist destination. image >>

I thought that too at first but he may be talking about just the window.

• Options
    Ah - I would never have guessed he was talking about the window from his post.

• Options

<< <i>Ah - I would never have guessed he was talking about the window from his post. >>

Maybe he'll be back to clear it up.

I imagine the building has been gutted and remodeled many times through the years.
    Many businesses and who knows what.
    Typical of many small towns, poor downtown Johnson City aint what it used to be.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that too at first but he may be talking about just the window.

Yes, just the window will do. I can already envision the exhibit at the ANA, with a plastic QDB at his desk and the window at his back. (I can also envision the Walter Breen exhibit in the adjacent exhibit, but perhaps that's best left to another thread.)
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

I just called the agent. She said that if you buy the window for $300, then they would throw in the building for free. You just have to pay the property taxes.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty cool indeed!
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's one of Dave Bowers 1961-62 circa HK-854A White Metal Continental Dollar SC$1 re-strikes counter stamped with his Empire Coin Company store card during his early days with partner Jim Ruddy. The store card obverse motif is copied from the 1787 IMMUNIS COLUMBIA copper and the reverse from a $5 gold coin of 1795 these being the Empire Coin Company trademark. The obverse states Empire Coin Company Inc. and the reverse Professional Numismatists.

image >>

Awesome overstrike. Do you know how many of these were made?
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've been by here hundreds of times but never noticed it. The exterior may have been covered for some time.
    Oh to be a fly on the wall during late 50's, early 60's.
    Imagine the conversations, correspondence and coins that passed through here.

image >>

Does that mean that Essential Hair by Val is gone, or moved?
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised vandals haven't thrown a rock through the window. You should inquire about purchasing it.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    I wanted to go in and have a look around but I don't think anyone was there and my wife was losing patience.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file