Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any one recognize a possible 1826 medal?

I came across an interesting medal that may be related to the 1826 U.S. Semicentennial (50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence). The image is not great, but a few points of interest include:

--the style of the eagle, common prior to 1825, less common later.

--the letter punches are distinctive and the As have a foot that angles upward slightly at the base of the right leg (the viewer's right).

--general look and feel seems more like 1826 than 1876.

But, it could just as well be a piece from 1876.

Has anyone seen one of these before or maybe have a lead on where I could learn more about the medal or its maker? I have a suspicion it could be from New York, but that is no more certain than its true date.

ANA E-1059458

Comments

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good link which may provide further information-----Ex Wayte Raymond Collection II (NASCA, June 6, 1978, lot 4093).
  • Options
    Thank you.

The references are helpful.
    ANA E-1059458
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Well, there are apparently three examples traced so far, which does make this a very rare medal. However, something as esoteric as this piece increases the chances that unknown examples are lingering in junk boxes throughout the land. In other words, if someone cannot find it in a Red Book or on the web, they just assume it is an old token with little value, and do not know how to price it, and buyers do not know what to offer.

So, here are the three traced examples. Note that the highest priced piece was sold in August 2011 for $1700 and change. It is also holed like the OP's example, which (to me) does support the 50th anniversary theory by cataloger in the 2011 Stack's sale (JK?). The Ford example is leaps-and-bounds above the other two examples with holes, yet it only realized $650 in 2005. Someone got a great deal!

Ford Sale - 5/2005

ANA Auction - August 2011

The example posted by Bsktmkr in the OP

AND a possible fourth example as noted by Keets in the 1978 Wayte Raymond sale part 2 (NASCA). I do not have the catalog, so I cannot tell if it is one of the above three pieces. Does anyone?

The medal is listed as "very rare" in this book.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very interesting piece that I am totally unfamiliar with.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I did write that 2011 description.

I've seen a couple more since then, but I think this is probably still solidly R-7. It's biggest problem: it's not listed in any books. If this was known to Hibler and Kappen, it would be a famous rarity and every SCD collector would want one. Since they didn't know about it, it's an off-the-radar obscurity that plays to a very small audience.

There's little/no doubt in my mind that it's a product of the 1826 semi-centennial.
  • Options
    I examined this piece at the NTCA show a few weeks ago and was certain that it was from the 1826 semicentennial. The obverse design with the eagles tail and feathers and wings are indicative of the early 1820's era. I agree with John K., if this piece was listed in the So-Called Dollar reference book there would be many more collectors pursuing it today.
    Jeff Shevlin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file