Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Latest Coin World has some interesting updated ATB 5 oz silver mintages..

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
For 2012, Hawaii no longer looks like the key. (14,863 vs 13,891 for Denali) Even Chaco just missed being the lowest 2012 coin with 13,902. Interest has really dropped off for these coins , but with sales half of the 1995 SAE W Proof coin it wouldn't take much hawking from the HSN guys to drive up prices.
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And cause demand/mintages to go back up
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Bump for the weekday crowd.. or maybe there really is just about zero interest in these things. image
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran out of room. I had all of the 2010-2012 uncirculated. Got a package offer that returned my cost so I sold them.

I now have room in the safe box for the coins I want to buy. All I have to do now is find the funds to buy them with.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

<< <i>I ran out of room. I had all of the 2010-2012 uncirculated. Got a package offer that returned my cost so I sold them.

I now have room in the safe box for the coins I want to buy. All I have to do now is find the funds to buy them with. >>

I have the same problem, actually.. I can only reasonably store about one ATB per year, so I choose one design I like a lot.
    So far I have Yosemite, Olympic, Chaco and Ohio. I'd love to have a custom panel built in my house with all of them them but that's going overboard. image
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quarters or 5oz. pucks? I want to know who is buying the "S" minted Quarters i'am and will keep buying them. Now some day every one will be looking for them. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Quarters or 5oz. pucks? I want to know who is buying the "S" minted Quarters i'am and will keep buying them. Now some day every one will be looking for them. image >>

They've got to be referring to the 5 oz Pucks.

Lots of folks lost money on those and lots of folks made some money on them but the sad reality is that these are just giant silver pieces that have a "face Value" of one quarter dollar.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes we are talking about the 5oz Pucks. I loved the look of them and the detail that was enhanced by the size.

The reality was that they were too big and too expensive for the little bit of pleasure they gave me.

P.S. Don't go there.image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has there been any renewed interest on the 2010 Bullion ATB pucks? I still have 2 sets of 5 that got slabbed BU that I never sent in for grading.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has there been any renewed interest on the 2010 Bullion ATB pucks? I still have 2 sets of 5 that got slabbed BU that I never sent in for grading. >>

If the Grand Canyon has a shot at MS69 DMPL, It's worth a shot for grading. They go for over $500 on Ebay. I sent my PCGS BU Grand Canyon, but got MS68DMPL. Kept the FS designation, which helps.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Has there been any renewed interest on the 2010 Bullion ATB pucks? I still have 2 sets of 5 that got slabbed BU that I never sent in for grading. >>

If the Grand Canyon has a shot at MS69 DMPL, It's worth a shot for grading. They go for over $500 on Ebay. I sent my PCGS BU Grand Canyon, but got MS68DMPL. Kept the FS designation, which helps. >>

Gotcha thanks. Honestly I would be very happy with MS68DMPL grades considering none got the MS70 grade.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many people really want to eventually have so many bulky hunks of silver?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How many people really want to eventually have so many bulky hunks of silver? >>

The ATBs are the Rodney Dangerfields of recent moderns, but the 2012 Mint-issued pucks were sleeper hits. Acadia PCGS SP70 goes for $500+ on Ebay, and Hawaii is over $600. There are only 195 PCGS First Strike Acadia SP70s.

Either could have been had last year from MCM or Silvertowne for about $280. I expect Denali and Chaco to move up as news of the revised mintages gets out.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How many people really want to eventually have so many bulky hunks of silver? >>

I have nightmares about having too many hunks of pure silver. What a terrible problem for someone to have.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

If the Grand Canyon has a shot at MS69 DMPL, It's worth a shot for grading. They go for over $500 on Ebay. I sent my PCGS BU Grand Canyon, but got MS68DMPL. Kept the FS designation, which helps. >>

I wish the PCGS online priceguide would reflect that, it has the MS69 DMPL at $1,100 and the MS68 DMPL at $450.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For 2012, Hawaii no longer looks like the key. (14,863 vs 13,891 for Denali) Even Chaco just missed being the lowest 2012 coin with 13,902. Interest has really dropped off for these coins , but with sales half of the 1995 SAE W Proof coin it wouldn't take much hawking from the HSN guys to drive up prices. >>

I think the mintages reported in the Coin World article from last August may not be up to date, as they correspond to the Feb. 18, 2013 mint sales report. At the time, Hawaii had been sold out for a month and Acadia had sold out in the previous week, but the three other 2012-P coins were still available at the time.

Two weeks later the Denali sold out with reported total sales of 15,225. This would appear to be a higher mintage than Hawaii, but the mint usually includes orders that it can't fill due to inventory depletion in the final week's sales totals, and eventually the audited mintage figures come in lower than the sales totals for the final week.

There were 673 Denalis ordered in the final week of sales, so the number of coins actually sold could be anywhere from 14,552 to 15,225. There were 262 Acadias ordered in the final week of sales, so the number of coins actually sold could be anywhere from 14,716 to 14,978. There were 96 Hawaiis ordered in that coin's final week of sales, so the number of coins actually sold could be anywhere from 14,767 to 14,863.

So any one of these coins could be the lowest mintage for the series. We'll know for sure when the audited mintage figures are released, but that may be a year or two away.

I expect the final mintages to be very close to each other, so the differences may not matter. Hawaii is much more popular, so I expect it to retain its price leadership regardless of the final outcome.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file