Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Charmy's October 2012 DALLAS ANA SHOW REPORT w/Tons of Pics!!!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
Let me first say that Dallas is a beautiful city! And the weather this past week was absolutely perfect!! I really enjoyed my time in Dallas. And even though the show started out rather slowly, overall I had a successful show. FYI, this report will be more picture-intensive than usual because there were just so many amazing things I found to photograph. Keep scrolling, and you’ll see what I mean!

I left Wednesday morning on American Airlines with a completely packed plane, but luckily I was towards the front and the flight was only a couple hours long, non-stop.

I took a taxi into the city and soon saw a beautiful skyline of high rise buildings.

I checked into my room at the Omni hotel which I understand is only about a year old. What a fantastic hotel, very state-of-the-art and stunningly beautiful! This is a picture I took of the hotel later that evening.

And these were taken from my room.

This is the convention center which is attached to the hotel.

After I settled into my room, I went over to the convention center for set up.

I arrived a little early so I was able to chat with several dealer friends before we were let in. I was even able to do a little business while we were waiting to be let in. The doors opened at 2pm and everyone began the familiar process of setting of their booths and plenty of time to shop around.

After set up, Jim Halperin (Co-Chairman of Heritage) held a buffet reception for the dealers and their spouses at his house in Dallas. They charted a couple buses to take everyone there and back.

Me and Neal Ulrich (Rick Snow’s FBI agent friend and booth helper)

Me and Jeff Shevlin, ANA Executive Director

Wow, what a beautiful home Mr. Halperin has, as well as an amazing collection of art and sculptures! With Mr. Halperin’s permission, here are photos from the party.

Jim Halperin

Bill Bugert

Julian Liebman

Rick Snow and Todd Pollock

Bonnie and Greg

Unknown and Walter Ostromecki, ANA Vice President

Lil ol Me

Some of the delicious cuisine!

And dessert

Outside at the other end of the pool is a pool house filled with Glenn Ford memorabilia, including a pool table once owned by Glenn Ford on which the “Rat Pack” played pool and, as rumor has it, on which Marilyn Monroe once “entertained” a gentleman!

Andy Lustig

Upstairs there is a fantastic “play room” filled with cartoon art and millions of Legos!

Thursday: There was a nice crowd at the opening ceremony and who were eagerly waiting for the doors to open!

At 10am people began streaming in and soon the room had the familiar buzz.

Here are some more numismatic faces….

Bonnie and Greg are set up right next to me and I noticed a familiar face (well, part of a face) sitting at her table! (If you couldn’t tell, that’s Mark Feld being camera shy)

Emily Silver, ANA Convention Assistant

Winston/Stone

Mike Stair/StairCoins

Erik/EmerFusterpuck

Unnamed very noticeable Dealer

Scott/Swagge1 (CoinTalk) and Teresa

Mike/Etexmike was so kind and gracious to bring me a wonderful bottle of Texas wine (thank you, thank you!)

The show was busy in the morning but it began slowing down early in the afternoon so I took a few minutes to view the ANA exhibits – WOW! Amazing!

A customer who knows I love penny errors offered this truly amazing Indian cent error to me, and even though I’m sure it was worth what he was asking, the price was more than what I felt comfortable paying. But boy would I have LOVED to add this piece to my personal collection!

I picked up this bottle of local wine at the hotel gift shop. There wasn’t much selection, but I have always enjoyed Tempranillo wine; however, I am sorry to say this Llano Tempranilla was not quite up to par, though of course we didn’t let any go to waste!

After the show ended on Thursday, when we got outside, the weather was so fantastic and beautiful so we decided to walk around the area a little. I took some photos of the beautiful building skyscape as the sun was setting.

We made a late reservation at the Bob’s Steakhouse at the Omni Hotel but decided to just have dinner at the Sports Bar on the patio since it was such a beautiful night.

After a while, a bunch of folks from NGC joined us at the fire pit – we had a blast!

Me and the NGC slabbing crew - whahoooo!

We also ran into a few ANA folks at the Sports Bar

Neal and Susan McMillan, ANA Education Project Manager

Friday – When the show opened to the public there was a slow trickle of people coming in and I began to worry that Friday would not be very fruitful. However, it ended up being the best day of the show for me. I sold quite a few coins, and noticed that many collectors were looking for key and semi-key date coins like 1914-D, 1955/55 DDO, 1909-S vdb, 1922 No D, etc., as well as higher grade Indian cents. I was also offered some very nice higher end coins, including some very pretty Matte Proof Lincolns which I bought. Here are some of the certified newps I bought at the show…

Several more forum members stopped by – here are a few…

Nick/Nickcap – it was great to meet you!!!

When I was able to get out on the course I snapped a few pictures of some of the usual “suspects”

NGC folks

PCGS folks

Ian Russell/GreatCollections.com

Glenn Holsonbake/PonyExpress and his helper Morgan

Tony at Northern Nevada Coins

After the show on Friday, we decided to go see the place where JFK was shot and killed since it was only a few blocks away from our hotel. There are 2 large white “X’s” on the road where JFK was shot, one closer to the library building, and one closer to the “grassy knoll.” While we were looking around, there was a guy who apparently was an unofficial “tour guide” hanging around selling brochures and booklets all describing the “conspiracy theory” aspect of the shooting. He was obviously very passionate about his views.

This is the X where JFK was initially shot

The 2nd X is down the street about 20 yards ahead of this first X (it’s hard to see in this photo)

This is the 2nd X

This is the “grassy knoll” where the alleged 2nd shooter was supposed to be behind the wall where Rick is standing

This is the library building where Lee Harvey Oswald was

This is a beautiful old church building that is just on the other side of the street where JFK was shot. I thought it was very interesting to look at this old building right next to this ultra-modern high rise building

We then walked back to the hotel and had a wonderful dinner at Bob’s steakhouse where David Lange joined us.

Me and David Lange, NGC Research Director

Rick and Neal

This was a jar of pickled vegetables that made a very pretty centerpiece for the table.

(By the way, sorry but there are no photos of wine at our dinner because everyone opted out and ordered their own beverages)

Saturday started off pretty slowly and the bourse never achieved the buzz we have come to expect at shows. Also, as usual, there were several empty tables around the bourse but for the most part I had quite a bit of business and sold a lot of coins. I was once again involved in the kids’ Treasure Trivia hunt so there were a lot of kids stopping by my table each day, but even more on Saturday. Here’s one of many cute little ones who were out hunting….

Here’s the ANA booth along with their hard working helpers!

When I had a chance, I went back to the competitive exhibits and was blown away by an exhibit of Jacques Wiener Cathedral medals. I have a few of them, but I was so pleased to see each one of these 3-D looking medals “in person” along with the history of each one. This exhibit took 2nd place in the overall category. I took pictures of each medal and story but there were so many that I am only posting a few of them here.

And here are a few of the other wonderful and interesting exhibits

Soon it was time to tear down, pack up, and head out to the airport for my trek back home. Here’s the bourse floor around 3pm on Saturday – about an hour before the show closed…

On my way to the airport, I passed the Heritage building

Once I got to the airport, and through security (with surprisingly no special bag checks!), I settled in at one of my favorite restaurants – TGI Fridays – for a relaxing and tasty preflight beverage.

I also noticed some cool things on the walls around the restaurant, including my favorite “Texan” J.R. Ewing!

When I got to headed to my gate, I ran into my friend Glenn Holsonbake at the gate right next to mine so I sat and “decompressed” with him for a few minutes. We talked about how we felt the show turned out, with both of us doing a fair amount of business, more than either of us had expected.

When his flight was called, I went over to my gate and ran into the PCGS crew – since they are also from Orange County, I am often on the same flight as they are (we were on the same flight going to Dallas as well). They are a great group and I always enjoy their company – though they also looked as tired as I felt.

So now I am once again back at home with my sweet hubby and our feisty princess kitty – even though she’s technically my kitty, she definitely adores my hubby more than she likes me!

After I get caught up with paper work and processing newps, I will be heading out to our beloved little place out in Lake Havasu so I can spend a few days with my hubby before I begin a string of back-to-back shows over the next several weeks!

Next up – the McIntosh show in Sacramento, along with some wine tasting in Shenandoah Valley, nestled in the beautiful Sierra Foothills above Sacramento!
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    Thanks very, very much for taking the time to share your pictures. It looks like you had an amazing time. Kudos to Jim Halperin for taking time+effort to hosting you all at his house. I bet that made the trip memorable.
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thoroughly enjoyed this report...One of your best ever and lots of pics which makes us feel like we`re right there...

Thank you! ABimage
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    Great report and pics!

But this pic reminds me of what the still employed feel like.

Just Sayin.
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    The "X" where Kennedy was shot gave me a cold chill. Great report.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I think I was the only one at the show on Wednesday that didn't get the invite to the party at JH's place. Oh well. Looked like a stop at the Taco Bell drive-thru would've been a necessity on the way back.

In that picture with Bonnie and Mark Feld, I was standing next to Bonnie just out of camera range to the right. The light bouncing off of Feld's glossy melon was blinding me... image
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    Glad you included the part about the Jacques Wiener Cathedral Medals - I've always liked those but have yet to take the plunge and get some ...

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    Wonderful pics Charmy! Love the Lego room...

As far as the Dealey Plaza shots, the place where the agents of the military industrial complex that Eisenhower warned us about took over this country with a coup d'état, still creeps me out to this day.

Thanks for sharing them with us all.
  • Options
    Charmy,

Thank you for the report. It was definately great to meet you.

Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    That was a great report and fun for a homebody like me, Thanks
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

As long as you keep posting your Show Reports, Charmy,
    I feel as if I have not missed anything. Great job, thanks !
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    never been to Dallas but thanks to Charmy....I got a little taste of what was missed
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looked like a stop at the Taco Bell drive-thru would've been a necessity on the way back. >>

Are you kidding? I'm pretty sure no one left hungry.
  • Options
    What a cool show report! Thanks for all the effort and dedication, for which you are well known!
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Super great report Mrs. Penny Lady, almost like being there. Always enjoy these very much.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Charmy, I always enjoy your show reports and the great pictures. Thanks! image
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks once again for bringing the show into my home. Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Great report and great photos!
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Thanks!
    Becky
  • Options
    That was some report. Thanks for taking the time to share image
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another excellent show report with some very informative pictures. Looks like you had a fun time mixing business with pleasure.

Thanks for posting image
  • Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for a great report
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I will have to show some of your pics to my son when he gets home from school. We also have a similar lego room. He wants the Death Star for Christmas - that thing is $400
  • Options
    A lot of folks don't like the Spring/Fall ANAs very much, as they're a little "slow", but I kind of like them. I always pick up some error inventory and also am able to make some sells. Plus, there are always lots of nice coins to look at on the floor, and a large auction as well. The slower pace gives the attendee more time to look at everything, talk to other collectors and dealers, and not be in such a rush.

Nice meeting you at the show, btw!
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report. I hope you have a better phone/camera for FUN.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Charmy,

I always enjoy your show reports. For some reason, I enjoyed this a little more than usual. image

I hope you liked the wine.

Mike
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭
    Charmy, you outdid yourself on this report! Thanks for sharing!!!

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Dallas was beautiful because it wasn't 105 degrees outside! image
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Charmy next time you need to go to Ft Worth..... the cowboys have gun fights in the streets. (only for show of coarse)
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another great show report Charmy. Thanks for posting it.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed your report Charmy. Thanks for including us in your fun times.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone, I'm always pleased to know you like reading these travel-blogs!

Wei, I believe the invitations to Halperin's house was sent to table holders, so perhaps that's why you didn't get one - sorry! And the food was plentiful, that's for sure! I only took a little of each dish because there was so much to choose from. My plate was not a very good representation of everyone else's plate!

Justlooking, I agree, seeing the two X's on the street was surreal and very sad. Those of us old enough will never forget that day - since I was just a toddler, all I remember is that our cartoons were all pre-empted for the funeral.

Jed, I love Wiener medals and have about 5 of them - I wish I had more too! And that exhibit was so amazing that I took photos of each one of the write-ups so I could read them in more depth later.

Nick and Mike, I love meeting/seeing forum members and it was great seeing you both at the show - thank you for taking the time to stop by and let me take your pictures!

Rick, I know my Blackberry photos are not that good - after 10 years of being a Blackberry user, I am contemplating finally giving it up and getting the iPhone 5 before the end of the year!

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    Sorry I didn't get a chance to stop by -- I was in mile-a-minute mode when I was there.

The Wiener medals were displayed by a local collector named Mike Ross, who has been accumulating them for some time. He also put together the display on Medieval coinage, which I thought was breathtaking.
    Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭
    great report
  • Options
    WOW! Great show report!
  • Options
    Charmy, great show report as always, and I'm glad you could make it over to get a photo of Glenn and me before you left!
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A fun report to read, made me feel like I was there. Oh wait a minute, I was! My 1909-S VDB set likes its new home too, glad I found it in your case.

Don't you think that ANA badge makes me look fat in those pants?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file