Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

MORE coin photography questions (mostly about "tethered" camera setups)

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
If I'm ever to graduate from my current setup, which is nothing more than a flatbed scanner (albeit a nice flatbed scanner, but still with the limitations that implies), I've pretty much figured out I probably want a "tethered" setup.

So, how do these work? Is it possible to do all the adjustments (focus, zoom, and shutter release) with one's mouse?

I'm used to controlling the scanner from my PC and having the images go straight into my photo editing program.

I would prefer my eventual camera setup to do the same. OK, maybe I'd have to manually adjust the lighting, but I'd want all the camera functions to be controlled with my mouse.

What about those microscopes? Is that a realistic alternative, or unnecessary? And how do they stack up costwise against a tethered SLR camera? Do I even need an SLR camera? (I'm guessing yes.) I'm not into minute die varieties or anything. Sure, I'll need the ability to zoom in and capture closeups of an overdate or tiny designer's initials or something like that at times, but I can already do that with the scanner.

Forgive me if I've previously asked some of these same questions.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most Canon and Nikon DSLR's are capable of being fully controlled from the computer.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    Do you use such a setup, Todd?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If I'm ever to graduate from my current setup, which is nothing more than a flatbed scanner (albeit a nice flatbed scanner, but still with the limitations that implies), I've pretty much figured out I probably want a "tethered" setup.

So, how do these work? Is it possible to do all the adjustments (focus, zoom, and shutter release) with one's mouse? >>

Yes, and in fact some programs allow you to control even more that is available in the camera itself! For instance, Nikon's Camera Control Pro 2 (which is expensive, like $150) allows you to "nudge" the focus up and down for doing focus stacking or fine focusing. The less expensive ControlMyNikon ($20) allows control of external flashes, focus steppers, or any sort of trigger you can imagine. Canon's EOS Utility (Free with camera) allows full control from the mouse, and adds certain niceties like eyedropper white balance control, etc.

<< <i>I'm used to controlling the scanner from my PC and having the images go straight into my photo editing program.

I would prefer my eventual camera setup to do the same. OK, maybe I'd have to manually adjust the lighting, but I'd want all the camera functions to be controlled with my mouse. >>

You can set any of the above programs to dump the image directly into whatever program you choose.

<< <i>What about those microscopes? Is that a realistic alternative, or unnecessary? And how do they stack up costwise against a tethered SLR camera? Do I even need an SLR camera? (I'm guessing yes.) I'm not into minute die varieties or anything. Sure, I'll need the ability to zoom in and capture closeups of an overdate or tiny designer's initials or something like that at times, but I can already do that with the scanner. >>

DSLR quality is significantly better for full-coin shots than what you can achieve with typical USB microscopes, but of course the DSLR will be much more expensive. But doing detail shots will take additional equipment (either stacked lenses or bellows), all of which will be fully manual to focus and probably set exposure. If you are looking to do full-coin shots, go the DSLR route. If you want to do detail shots, the DSLR route will give you better quality, but will take a bigger investment in equipment, setup and learning.

By the way, if you decide to by a DSLR, I highly recommend the Canon 550D/T2i
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I use a Canon dslr with it's propriatary EOS remote capture software and it works great. There are some older Canon point and shoots (8-10mp) with remote capture functions which would be a less expensive option.
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options
    Thank you all, particularly rmpsrpms for the detailed answers.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lightroom 4 has tethering built in
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options

<< <i>Lightroom 4 has tethering built in >>

Oh, really? That's presumably photo software and not a piece of hardware. (OK, yeah. I Googled it.)

So will that work with any digital camera? What about point-and-shoots? Would it be worth playing with in conjunction with the P&S camera we have, before I upgrade to a DSLR?

I'm way behind the times with photo editing software, too. I'm still stuck in the late 1990s with MGI Photosuite SE (which I think was an old Win95 program). But it's familiar and it still works- I can do a lot with it. It's getting less stable, though, so I've probably got a learning curve ahead of me in software upgrading as well as hardware. Ugh.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my idea of a good tethered operation includes the ability to use the computer monitor for a "live" view before capturing the image. This gives one the ability to adjust lighting without the trial and error of repetitive shots. Do all tethered set ups offer this feature?

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options

<< <i>my idea of a good tethered operation includes the ability to use the computer monitor for a "live" view before capturing the image. This gives one the ability to adjust lighting without the trial and error of repetitive shots. Do all tethered set ups offer this feature? >>

EXACTLY. Thank you for asking that question. It's really one of the more basic tenets I was getting at. I'd like to have the camera mounted next to the PC, where I can move the coin around a little as necessary, tweak the focus and zoom with my mouse, then when it's just right, and looks good on the monitor, I can go *click* with the mouse and release the shutter.

• Options

<< <i>my idea of a good tethered operation includes the ability to use the computer monitor for a "live" view before capturing the image. This gives one the ability to adjust lighting without the trial and error of repetitive shots. Do all tethered set ups offer this feature? >>

I shoot with Canon and Pentax DSLRs. My Canon DSLR can do this, and I suspect a comparable Nikon can do it too. Pentax DSLRs do not allow for this for some reason. No idea about Sony.

I'd go with a DSLR and a macro lens, and look at some of the members lighting setups. Lighting is EVERYTHING. If you go with anything else, you might end up getting disappointed if you really get into it. For the best color, contrast, and sharpness, go with a dedicated macro lens.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't wait for the best solution. Buy a DSLR, macro, and copy stand, and get started. Over time you will learn what you really need.
    Lance.
  • Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look for a camera with Live View capability. Basically this means the camera can raise its mirror and the sensor can capture continuous video-like images that can be sent to a monitor or to the screen on back of camera. Most of the newer Nikons, Canons, Sonys, Pentax's, etc have this ability but make sure before you buy if this is important to you. The Canon T2i I recommended has an excellent Live View...
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

Great questons and responses everyone. I've been wanting to cross the bridge to DSLR recently and this helps alot.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file